High Desert YJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 12-18-2013, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Buckbagger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

High Desert YJ

Let me start off by saying that this project has been a year in the making due my crazy work schedule and the time it has taken me to find the parts I needed. The plan is to take this stock 1995 yj that I picked up locally and build it into a very capable 4x4. The jeep has the 2.5L 4-cyl.with the 5-speed Manual tranny.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 12-18-2013, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Buckbagger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have bought dana 44s from a pick and pull the front axle is out of a 89 grand wagoner and the rear is out of 1995 rodeo this axles are both six lug and are a few inches in width from one another. The axles gears are being replaced with with G2s 5.38s and aussie lockers
post #3 of 54 Old 12-18-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Buckbagger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

here is some pictures of the front axle being removed
.................................................. ...........................
this is my first time trying to post anything like this so sorry if it doesn't make sense or if im doing it wrong
Attached Images

post #4 of 54 Old 12-19-2013, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Buckbagger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I wanted to build this jeep with as many parts I could find at junkyards from old ranch trucks after a lot of searching I finally found a neighboring ranch that had a flat top dana 44 that I could take off there hands. After removing the knuckles and making sure they would pair up with my front dana 44 I sent the one knuckle off to machined. I went with Parts mike (http://www.partsmike.com) I also purchased there high steer arm kit as well as there stud kit.
Name:  IMG_1607.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  34.3 KB

this is what the knuckle looked like after being machined

Name:  1377_image.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  7.1 KB

After I installed the new carrier locker and gears in the front axle sorry I dont have any pictures this was done over six months ago and I forgot were I saved them I mounted the new knuckles replaced all seals throughout the axle might as well do it while you have it torn all apart.

Name:  IMG_0271.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  50.3 KB

The next step was to weld up some new spring perches so I could start to set up the SOA lift. After welding up the perches I mocked the axle up underneath the jeep.

Name:  IMG_8202.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  49.0 KB

Name:  IMG_8466.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  29.7 KB

Once I had the axle mocked up under the jeep it really starts to look better! My next step will be to set up the rear axle and mock it up in the rear I will try to take more pictures and if there are steps I left out your wondering about just ask and Ill try my best to answer your question
post #5 of 54 Old 01-23-2014, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Buckbagger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Update-

Had some free time this last weekend and contiuned work on the jeep my next step was remove the old gears from the new rear axle and clean the housing for the new gears and locker.

Name:  image (1).jpeg
Views: 392
Size:  135.4 KB

Name:  image (2).jpeg
Views: 393
Size:  129.0 KB

The next step is to install the Aussie locker into the new carrier, a new carrier was need due to the fact that the gears are thick cut.

Name:  image (3).jpeg
Views: 389
Size:  105.6 KB

Name:  image (4).jpeg
Views: 390
Size:  94.7 KB

Name:  image (5).jpeg
Size:  124.0 KB

Here is the carrier with the aussie locker installed inside

Name:  image.jpeg
Size:  131.0 KB

Hope to install the gears and reassemble the axle within the next week or so

Just "Ledoux It"

My build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/high-desert-yj-1903466/
post #6 of 54 Old 02-09-2014, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Buckbagger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Picked up this Hanson bumper/tire carrier and kirby skid plate off craigslist this weekend!
Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 375
Size:  113.2 KB
Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 370
Size:  124.0 KB

Just "Ledoux It"

post #7 of 54 Old 02-10-2014, 07:22 PM
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

nice jeep

its a rusty one

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
post #8 of 54 Old 02-10-2014, 07:31 PM
micahtbyrd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome project... Looks like you are on the right track, and having fun... Very similar to my own rig...

95 YJ wrongler on 36's
post #9 of 54 Old 02-11-2014, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Buckbagger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys! Im really excited about this project unlike my last rig Im starting with a stock rig so Im trying to get it right the first time! Micahtbyrd I see that you have the 4cylinder with 5.38s how does the jeep perform for you do you feel under powered? Been putting alot of consideration to doing a tranny swap with a lower first gear or maybe the teraflex 4-1 transfercase kit just hard to justify the $$$$ im on a pretty tight budget

Just "Ledoux It"

post #10 of 54 Old 02-12-2014, 05:58 AM
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like that is a decent platform to start from. Good luck with the project and I will be watching the build progress!
post #11 of 54 Old 02-12-2014, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Buckbagger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by responder
Looks like that is a decent platform to start from. Good luck with the project and I will be watching the build progress!
Thank you

Just "Ledoux It"

post #12 of 54 Old 02-13-2014, 07:52 PM
micahtbyrd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckbagger View Post
Thanks guys! Im really excited about this project unlike my last rig Im starting with a stock rig so Im trying to get it right the first time! Micahtbyrd I see that you have the 4cylinder with 5.38s how does the jeep perform for you do you feel under powered? Been putting alot of consideration to doing a tranny swap with a lower first gear or maybe the teraflex 4-1 transfercase kit just hard to justify the $$$$ im on a pretty tight budget
5.38's with 36's runs pretty close to stock rpm wise... Its got plenty of power to drive around, but as you may think it lacks a bit in first gear, and gets tired at highway speeds above 65... I am planning to move down to 35's some day when I kill my swampers. The 4.1 would help if you need to craw more than you need wheel speed... I find low range to be great for trails with the stock case and 5.38. 4.1 would make crawing more ideal... A low first gear trans would be great off road, but would be useless on road... I found with all my jeeps yj cj and xj, that all the factory power plants hate high revs over 3k, so its always a challenge being under or over geaded. If you ever get into a rig with over 200 horse its way different... All that being said I would gear as low as you can...

95 YJ wrongler on 36's
post #13 of 54 Old 02-14-2014, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Buckbagger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahtbyrd View Post
5.38's with 36's runs pretty close to stock rpm wise... Its got plenty of power to drive around, but as you may think it lacks a bit in first gear, and gets tired at highway speeds above 65... I am planning to move down to 35's some day when I kill my swampers. The 4.1 would help if you need to craw more than you need wheel speed... I find low range to be great for trails with the stock case and 5.38. 4.1 would make crawing more ideal... A low first gear trans would be great off road, but would be useless on road... I found with all my jeeps yj cj and xj, that all the factory power plants hate high revs over 3k, so its always a challenge being under or over geaded. If you ever get into a rig with over 200 horse its way different... All that being said I would gear as low as you can...
Thanks for all the info you have reassured my thoughts about how the jeep will handle, guess it means its time to start saving for a 4-1 transfercase!

Just "Ledoux It"

post #14 of 54 Old 02-14-2014, 09:13 AM
brianandcara
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great. Just finishing up my 87 build I purchased out of Reno, gotta love high and dry, getting ready to post a write up on it.
post #15 of 54 Old 02-14-2014, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Buckbagger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianandcara
Looks great. Just finishing up my 87 build I purchased out of Reno, gotta love high and dry, getting ready to post a write up on it.
I'll be looking for it

Just "Ledoux It"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.