"Herky" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Herky"

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 11-07-2014, 12:13 AM   #1
petertom13
1995 YJ Wrangler 

"Herky"

So, guess I'll start it off with a picture, first night with my new DD at work.

1995 YJ, 4.0 inline six, 5 speed, 58,900 miles, and a salvaged title. Picked it up for $5400, and it looks to be in great shape for being a 19 year old Jeep in Iowa. Minor rust spots showing underneath the flares, underside looks clean. Dana 30 front, D35 rear with 3.07 gears, riding on 33" BFG AT, and Eagle Alloy 15x10.5 rims. Immediate plans only involved minor exterior changes, some cosmetic items.

The future was so bright... fast forward about 3 months... sitting on jack stands in my garage currently as I learn to fix things for myself. I try a lot of things, and depending on who you ask I have a varied success rate at how well they turn out. Needless to say, I can change oil, tires, and brakes. I know that lefty is loosey and righty is tighty, I can identify most tools, but I'm far from handy when it comes to vehicle repairs and work. So all of this build I'm going to try to do myself, and with an EXTREMELY small budget. I have a wife, four kids, two dogs, and a 100 year old house that I'm working on at the same time. Our money goes to the house, not the Jeep.

I will be relying on this forum, generosity of people, my bartering skills, and just a sheer desire to not piss my wife off while I work to improve this 'thing'.

Unread 11-07-2014, 12:27 AM   #2
petertom13
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Jack Stands??

So, three months into ownership, now it's on jack stands in my garage. Started with some small noises, thought rocks in tires?? loose brakes?? Not real sure what was going on, continued to drive, did some mild wheeling, got it muddy a couple times, just some innocent fun. Then the **** started getting serious, vibrations developed, noises from the clutch/tranny/transfer. Used the forum to diagnose, and decided to do some fluid change and u joints.

Rear U joint

Front U joint

Changed out tranny fluid, transfer case, and engine oil. No improvement. Decided to get dirty, borrowed a DD from a friend and got the garage stall cleared out and ready for some work.

Pulled front and rear driveshafts...

Notice the yellow writing on the front driveshaft and same yellow marking on the rear? Seems like I've seen that before somewhere....junk yards. So this is where I'm at right now, trying to diagnose what I'm dealing with.
Unread 11-07-2014, 12:40 AM   #3
petertom13
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So, gotta give a shot out to the guys in the YJ forum, have been very helpful and very patient with me being an auto idiot and trying to figure things out without them actually having to draw me a picture. Big shot out to Goob, fellow Iowan has been very helpful, and I don't think I would be attempting any of this if it wasn't for the incouragement and support.

U joints are out, two different sizes in the rear axle??

One of the caps was a dusty, rusty, dried up pile of nothing inside...

Haven't gotten replacement U joints in, but I don't even know that I have the proper drivetrain yet, going to rely on the /f12 to get me to where I need to be.

did make myself a handy 'tool' to remove the u joints with a BFH..

1/2 steel pad with 1.25 hole, made for a nice cavity to drive the joint into, worked better with BFH than with clamp.

wanting to drop skid plate, and tear into tc, tranny, and clutch...skid plate is bolted up with rusty bolts that require allen wrench to remove...
not working..

still not working...

all those are busted as well.

Goob pointed out that my slip yolk looks suspicious...not symmetrical?

I'm going to look at that tonight after work, and get the sawzall out for the skid plate bolts. It's coming off!!!
Unread 11-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
petertom13
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well it took a cut off blade, BFH, and a sawzall but the skid plate is down.

Six bolts with six spacers, and this is all that survived

Finished pulling the diamond plate and fender flares off, got a good look upcoming work.

Well, time to start looking into other JF members fender cuts, see what kind of highline or other design I can decide on. Enough for this day. Attack the transfer case, tranny, and clutch another day.
Unread 11-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
amp713
Registered Whiskey Killer

1995 YJ Wrangler 

F12 has an amazing set of people to guide along the way! Ill do my best to create no issues here hahahahaha

SourMash The YJ

EJS 2015
amp713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

cool project

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Your sales pitch sold me! Sub'd

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
Hawaii5O
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like you have some work ahead of you. I had the same issue with my skid plate. Had to weld nuts to the heads to get them out.
Hawaii5O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

sheesh man that is more than most would deal with. props for doing it all yourself! crawled
awinski is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #10
petertom13
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So I've watched a couple videos, still not 100% confident on the transfer case removal, watch a couple more tonight, give it a shot tomorrow morning. I did decide to empty out the tub to see if there was any work in there.

Looking good, very happy with this.

The rear fenders are good too, just snapped these pictures before I pulled the remainder of the carpet out. There are a lot of holes, not sure if I'll just put bolts in the majority of them, or try to find rubber plugs. PO had old sink stoppers in the drain holes in the floorboards, LOL I suppose it worked and saved them some money, but I'll probably try to find a better fit that sits flat to the floorboard. One of the stopper still had the metal ring on the stopper, surprised he/she took the time to take the chain off of it.

I did find this in the engine compartment, it appears to be coming through the firewall on the driver's side, then comes out of main wiring bundle on the passenger side of the engine bay and is hanging freely at the back of the motor. Anyone know what it is?

If there are any 'secrets' I need to know about dropping the transfer case, feel free to share, like I said I'll watch some more videos online and browse the forum for some good picture heavy threads.
Unread 11-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
amp713
Registered Whiskey Killer

1995 YJ Wrangler 

PB blast/WD40 the bolts for a few days before hand on any bolt removal and it will save you a lot of trouble! I cant speak for that one exaclty but my YJ has 2 of those that are unhooked on the firewall and have nothing going to them. Seems to be common on a lot of jeeps though. Like a one harness fits all and we dont have the piece that needed that wiring

SourMash The YJ

EJS 2015
amp713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #12
dander88
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by petertom13 View Post
So I've watched a couple videos, still not 100% confident on the transfer case removal, watch a couple more tonight, give it a shot tomorrow morning. I did decide to empty out the tub to see if there was any work in there.

Looking good, very happy with this.

The rear fenders are good too, just snapped these pictures before I pulled the remainder of the carpet out. There are a lot of holes, not sure if I'll just put bolts in the majority of them, or try to find rubber plugs. PO had old sink stoppers in the drain holes in the floorboards, LOL I suppose it worked and saved them some money, but I'll probably try to find a better fit that sits flat to the floorboard. One of the stopper still had the metal ring on the stopper, surprised he/she took the time to take the chain off of it.

I did find this in the engine compartment, it appears to be coming through the firewall on the driver's side, then comes out of main wiring bundle on the passenger side of the engine bay and is hanging freely at the back of the motor. Anyone know what it is?

If there are any 'secrets' I need to know about dropping the transfer case, feel free to share, like I said I'll watch some more videos online and browse the forum for some good picture heavy threads.
Can you follow the wires? Its a relay harness or sorts.
dander88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 01:30 PM   #13
petertom13
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So, a little update, haven't gotten much done in the past few days, the wife has been working during the day so I've been watching daycare kids, and the only time I get a chance to work on the Jeep is when I get off of work at midnight or later.

Now I know, transfer case removal is a minor job for most, but for me it has been the pinnacle so far. I was very reluctant to try, but I went for it, and it wasn't as bad as I thought, thanks to the JF and all it's members. Now that I have it out, time to research what to take apart on it, and see if I can identify any parts that need repaired/replaced.

Might have to give my mechanic buddy a call, have him come over and walk me through some of this.

Also decided to make another modification, thanks to JeeperDon for the inspiration, but I like the look of the flush mount tail lights, just don't care for the LED lights so I flush mounted my factory tail lights.

Still have some clean up work to do on the tail lights, but that gives you the general idea. I have multiple pictures on the process, but I'm going to post them in the tech forum, that way if someone wants to do the same it's a little more complete write up. Well, that's it for now, check back in a few days, should get some more time this weekend to do some work.

edit: I did find a 8.8 for sale for $100, not sure if that's a good price or not? Thought I would ask, not sure what the gears are in it yet, the seller was going to see if he could read the plate on the housing to see the code on it. Fingers crossed, hoping to move into an upper 3 lower 4 gear range, think that would be good for being a daily driver, but still being able to keep up on the trails... thoughts?
Unread 11-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #14
sdillinger
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nice project. You're starting right where I started; It was stock except lift and 33's.

3.07 gears with 33's was awful for 4 years. I went to 4.56 this past spring and can actually use 5th!

I'd say $100 is a good price for 8.8 as I paid $240. Just be careful, and axle swap leads to a domino effect. I'm swapping so I may as well do gears, doing gears so I may as well do lockers, need a conversion joint so I may as well do a SYE and driveshaft... Thats what happened to me!
Unread 11-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #15
petertom13
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdillinger View Post
Nice project. You're starting right where I started; It was stock except lift and 33's.

3.07 gears with 33's was awful for 4 years. I went to 4.56 this past spring and can actually use 5th!

I'd say $100 is a good price for 8.8 as I paid $240. Just be careful, and axle swap leads to a domino effect. I'm swapping so I may as well do gears, doing gears so I may as well do lockers, need a conversion joint so I may as well do a SYE and driveshaft... Thats what happened to me!

Well, I'm kind of already thinking that I'm going to do the SYE, since I'm going to be tearing the tc apart. And while I'm into the tranny, might as well do the true neutral. I'll probably pick up the rear end, and just sit on it for awhile, if the gearing isn't correct/what I want, I could always resell it down the road.

Right now, I got it in my head that while I have the tub cleared out, I should just go ahead and clean/scuff it up, and do the rolled on Monstaliner. I know that I should have it professionally done, but $750 is a chunk, I would rather spend that kind of money on lockers/axles/gears. I can do the monstaliner for $145, hopefully I can sell something and get the money for it. Plus, for now I want to keep the carpet in it as well, so I really am not to concerned if it looks like a professional job or not, but I think since there is no rush, I can take my time and make it look pretty damn good. Just have to pick up a propane heater for the garage first, warden won't let me run the electric heater out there, killed our budget last year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.