Help with gears? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Help with gears?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
CBRNpog
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Help with gears?

I just bought a 4.2L 6 cyl YJ it has 33 inch tires and stock gears. I don't know how the gear part works and don't understand what I found on them. I guess I'm lookin for something that has a good gas to power ratio any recommendations on what I am looking for? I just need to get pointed in the right direction, thanks.

CBRNpog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
billybob535

An 87-90 4.2L YJ should have 3.07s stock. I have seen a couple with 3.55s but that is not common. You have probably noticed its a dog with the 33s. If I were you I would recommend finding a set of stock YJ axles from a 4cyl as they will have factory 4.10 gears in them which will work great with the 33s. This will keep everything a bolt in so you can enjoy your Jeep and learn how it does off road. Expect to spend $200-300 on a set of working used axles, $50 for gear oil and a tube of RTV (to change the fluid in both axles), and $80 on u-bolts to do the swap. If nothing else breaks and everything is working you can bolt all your existing stuff (shocks, vacuum disco, brakes, etc) to the new axles and be done in a weekend. Soak every bolt in PB Blaster every day for a week before you work on it. Leave your front sway bar hooked up but unbolt and remove both the front and rear track bars. You will see a good improvement in ride comfort and flex and it has no real effect on how it drives.

If you have junkyards in your area check them for YJs that can be the donor. Also check craigslist.org and car-part.com for even better deals.

Maybe the mods can move this post to the correct section so you can get some more feedback.

Good Luck

Bob
billybob535 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
CBRNpog
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks a lot ill look into that. I don't have too much experience with the forums (using the mobile app) where should I post this?
CBRNpog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.