Heinz The XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Heinz The XJ

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 11-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

Heinz The XJ

Yes Heinz. I live near Pittsburgh and my Jeep is red. The name fits I bought a 2000 XJ this fall to take over daily duty and keep the winter salt off of my '14 JK. After taking the JK wheeling with less than 1000 miles I kinda felt stupid for cuffing it up so I decided to get another Jeep and not beat up the JK any more. (at least till its paid off)

I have been on the hunt for a semi clean TJ unlike my but with the inflation of prices around here, you can't find a Wrangler (YJ or TJ) that is worth a damn for under $8,000 which is too much for me right now. After some thinking I decided to look for an XJ and ran into this one. Locally owned (I believe one owner), bought it from a small dealership that is run by a great guy.

So what I know about it.
2000 XJ
I6 with auto
Power windows, locks, and mirrors
Very clean interior
Little rust (for around here) original rockers and rear leaf mounts still have paint inside
Super saggy suspension
Falling Headliner
NO HEAT
Slight (I assume) rear main seal leak
Chry 8.25 rear

The goal as of now is to get it reliable and have heat for the winter. This winter will probably bring a small lift and 30/31's? I've never been a Cherokee guy cause the thought of a unibody disgusts me.

ANYWAYS... Here she is. I'm open to ideas and discussion. Input is much appreciated

Let someone drive my JK for the first time. So my mom wants one now

Little baby next to BaBa Black Jeep

Got the faded door trim ripped off and shown off the well known poser flex of a stock Jeep. I bought a $13 dollar can of 3M adhesive remover that did nothing more than wet the side of my jeep.

Just to compare the XJ to my JK (and she could have gone higher but the trailer was only so tall.

Also, Check out my JK "build"
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...14-jk-2654066/

Unread 11-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

reserved for future use
Unread 11-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

Reserved for future use
Unread 11-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #4
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

Got started on my heater issue tonight. Both sending and return coolant lines are hot so supposedly there is no plug. I opened the coolant reservoir and it was nasty, along with the radiator so I am going to flush the coolant system anyways. I pulled the dash open and all the knobs are in working order and vacuum lines are good. I took the motor off of the blend door and turned it by hand along with using the motor and it turns just fine. So now I'm out of ideas of what it could be
Unread 11-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #5
MOBBiN
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Unibodies arent that bad :P Welcome to the darkside
Unread 11-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBBiN View Post
Unibodies arent that bad :P Welcome to the darkside

Around here they are! Ha you're lucky to find them that will pass state inspection. Thanks!
Unread 11-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
BrooklynWK2
2014 WK 

looks great
BrooklynWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
caronaxtr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like a good buy. Nice base to start with. Ya, can't mock the XJ's. I'm on my second now, had a WJ, TJ & ZJ. Loved the TJ, but the prices are Nuckin Futz!

I've got little $ into my XJ, fairly built & I couldn't even get a stock TJ (in decent condition & low miles for what I've got into it. Very capable for the price..

35's, 5.5" lift, air lockers & 4.56 gears f/r, swapped in HP D30 & 8.25.

Sub'd, looking forward to following. You'll have a blasting it. Oh ya, wrangler looks sick.
image-1028152174.jpg

caronaxtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #9
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynWK2 View Post
looks great
thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caronaxtr View Post
Looks like a good buy. Nice base to start with. Ya, can't mock the XJ's. I'm on my second now, had a WJ, TJ & ZJ. Loved the TJ, but the prices are Nuckin Futz!
Sub'd, looking forward to following. You'll have a blasting it. Oh ya, wrangler looks sick.
Thank you! I like your XJ. I am having a hard time deciding what lift to go with and what for tires. Since it is my only vehicle for winter I'm probably going to stick with 30" or 31" General Grabber AT2s. I liked them on my TJ. As for lift, Rustys? Rough Country with 2.2s? I can get a healthy discount on the Rough Country.
Unread 11-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #10
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

I don't think I'll be waiting till Black Friday to order some goodies as I had planned. I got the itch to start on this before the snow flies so I have something fun to take in the mountains snowboarding. I found a Zone Offroad 3" lift on ebay with a seller's warehouse not far from me. Full leafs, coils, and u-bolts for $510 (free shipping). I would then order some Bills and disconnects and call her good. For now. Then Black Friday try to find a set of wheels and tires.

I am also still working on the heating issue. I replaced the thermostat and radiator cap. Along with a full coolant flush and blasted a lot of crap out of the heater core. I tested that the blend door motor and blend door functions as it should (which it does) and I still am not getting any substantial temperature. Both hoses to the firewall are hot, we "burped" the system, and nothing... I'm on the verge of taking it to someone and just having it gone through or replace the whole damn system.
Unread 11-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #11
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

I'm having a hard time deciding who to go with for a lift.. Like I said, its a DD but will be a taken out and played with
3"-3.5" and 31" is what I want for now.
Unread 11-13-2014, 09:12 PM   #12
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

Well after fooling with the coolant system some more.. I HAVE HEAT! I talked to a few people who recommended filling the sending line to the heater core with water and putting the air hose to it. After the return line blasted the bowl off my jeep and threw coolant all over my dads MINT CBR, a bunch of crud came out. Once I was done washing his bike, I repeated the process minus the mess. I then tried to burp the radiator and it did nothing but dump a gallon of coolant all over the place When I pulled it out of the garage, I let it get hot and turned the heater on. No hot air whatsoever. In my angered rage I held the pedal to the floor for a moment and VIOLA!!!!! HEAT! I have no clue why that did it, but it worked and I am not gonna investigate!

I couldn't be happier because when I took it for a test ride, I saw the township had started salting the roads for the year. In that case, the JK is officially parked. It will get washed and put in the garage this weekend.

Tomorrow I am headed to pick up a set of 32/11.5/15 Cooper Discover STT's. One has a hole in the sidewall which I will internally patch and plug for a spare, and the set only has 100 miles on them for $400! They are on a set of Waggy wheels but for a CJ Not to far from his house, I found some nice polished steelies to pick up while I am there.

Hopefully it turns out the way I'd like
Unread 11-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

Haven't updated in a little while. I have been driving the JK since I am tired of working on the Jeep with no heat. Today was pretty productive, I sold the STT's that I bought for $400 to a friend of mine for $450. Not as much of a profit as I hoped, but I helped a guy out and made a little money.

Went to Advanced Auto and bought lift gate shocks so I don't have to use a broom stick anymore. I am having a hard time to decide what lift to go with. They all pretty much seem the same. I don't need a super great ride or flex, just springs and shocks that aren't worn out.

Should I frankenlift it?

Coils
Leafs
U-bolts
Trac bar
LCA
Shocks

Should I get anything else? Bar pin eliminators?
Unread 11-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #14
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

For anyone following, I placed one of my Black Friday orders. Once I get home I'm ordering more!
JCR Rear DIY bumper and Unibody tie ins.
Unread 12-01-2014, 11:23 AM   #15
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

I've got a whole bunch of boxes on the way now I need to find a cure for the Jeep addiction. Or maybe just win the lottery?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.