Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Heep to Jeep - 97 TJ Build

280K views 1K replies 211 participants last post by  Cotton 
#1 ·
I have really enjoyed looking at all the build threads here on JF and the build by Gerald with Savvy "2003 Unrolled (pics)" actually inspired me to buy this Jeep. I bought this heep back in early July 08 and have spent the following couple months putting it back together. I thought I would create a build thread for everyone to enjoy. My intent of this build was first to get the Jeep running and driveable and go from there, however building this on a budget was important and getting as many things as possible used was my intent. I have been working on the jeep for a couple months and will do my best to update you with my past progress and any further updates. Please be patient as is might take me some time in between posts. Thank you for your time!!

The jeep specs are as follows:
97 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
4.0L
5-Speed
Dana 30 and 35 3.55's
127,000 miles
4" Pro Comp Lift
Quick Disconnects
Clean Title

Here are some Pics

See less See more
#14 ·
Here is the xj axle......not a High Pinion...but o well it is the right gear ratio!! Everything bolted right up with out any big issues! Picked up some Free 32X11.50 BFG All Terrians with about 1/4" of tread left from my Cousin....should work for the time being. Also found a full set of TJ sport flares for $60 bucks...threw these on and we are getting close to a test drive!!

#16 ·
That is probally the most frustrating thing!! Tring to figure out the little missing bolts etc. It is hard enough to find a bolt when you have one to reference off of....but when you don't even know what you are looking for..that is a pain! I need to just set up a tent in the local hardware store :)

#17 ·
Hey it's got quick disconnects, ur set to go :thumbsup:

looks like a fun project

1 suggestion however, you might want to throw a tire up under the transmission or t-case while ur working under it. Just in case it falls off the jack stands. You wouldnt want yourself to look like the jeep when u got it. :laugh:.

No joke though, it happened to a guy on jf recently, it broke his back in several places. He was ok after a month in the hospital but lucky to be walking again.

Good luck to ya

#33 ·
Hey it's got quick disconnects, ur set to go :thumbsup:

looks like a fun project

1 suggestion however, you might want to throw a tire up under the transmission or t-case while ur working under it. Just in case it falls off the jack stands. You wouldnt want yourself to look like the jeep when u got it. :laugh:.

No joke though, it happened to a guy on jf recently, it broke his back in several places. He was ok after a month in the hospital but lucky to be walking again.

Good luck to ya
Thanks for the suggestion! Sometimes you forget to think about how dangerous it is working under a Jeep! I definetly don't want to end up looking like my Heep.....point taken! :cheers2:

#22 ·
After putting the front axle in, I realized that it was not very centered.....it was like a couple inches off!. To fix this I orderd an adjustable track bar. I installed the track bar and put a new steering stabilizer and the heep is now drivable!! I was really suprised how well it drives after being in such a serious wreck. Goes straight, goes 75 mph and does not feel like there is a bent frame. Good news!

#23 ·
After getting it running and Drivable it was time to add some bumpers. I ordered up a Pro Comp/Genuine Steel rear bumper with 2" reciever and D-rings. From there I ordered some steel, latch and Trailer spindle to fabricate up a rear tire swingout. Turned out pretty nice...however I ended up ordering a spindle assenbly from Rockstomper http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/pieces/hinge.htm because the one I made was a little sloppy. I wish I would have just ordered the spindle from the start...it is really not that much more expensive and it is bomber!

#24 ·
Great job, so far! That thing doesn't even look like the same vehicle that you started with. I like the OD idea, too!

#25 ·
Painting it Olive Drab has crossed my mine numerous times, however I am not too concerned with the paint right now and am probally going to give flat black a try for awile.

Anyways after getting the rear bumper figured out it was time to do something with the front. I found a stock front bumper and Sway bar cover for $20 bucks, so I cut the ends off the stock bumper and made it a stubby. I also needed some turn signals, so I ordered some smoke turns and marker light off ebay. I also took off all the badging and picked up a skull JEEP logo.

Front Bumper

Turn and Marker lights

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.