Harvo's EX DD 02 TJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Harvo's EX DD 02 TJ

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #31
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice Jeep!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #32
Harvo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I took the goodyears to the shop and had them balanced. There was an irritating shimmy in the wheel that was tire related. The guy at the tire shop got them balanced, but showed me that my offending tire was not actually round. He mentioned that the MTRs don't have a very good reputation for street ride.

Balanced, with the oblong tire in the rear, and with all tires running 27psi street pressure... it's tolerable.

I got the Quick Fist Clamps in the mail yesterday. Very nice units. I got them for spare axle storage, but may also use them for the hi-lift jack.

So in the (to buy) que...

Chromoly front axles
Currie Antirock
Flat fenders

and in the (to make) que...

Quick release windshield hinges
Unread 01-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #33
janesy86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
and in the (to make) que...

Quick release windshield hinges
Nice! I'd like to see how you go about it. I was thinking this as well once I put in a cage.

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
janesy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #34
dmb2002man
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The cage looks great! To bad for the 3 speed but it will do.
dmb2002man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #35
Harvo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by janesy86 View Post
Nice! I'd like to see how you go about it. I was thinking this as well once I put in a cage.
I have researched on here and it looks pretty easy as long as the factory hinge pins come out ok. I'm going to try it without removing the hinges...we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2002man View Post
The cage looks great! To bad for the 3 speed but it will do.
Thanks! Yeah...the 3 spd isn't terrible. It will get better when it gets a 4 to 1 behind it....or an atlas. But that's just dreaming right now. I have some friends that have had great luck installing later model xj 4 speed autos in Wranglers. I always liked that tranny when I had my xj.
Unread 01-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #36
Harvo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just some minor stuff to tinker with while I'm waiting for parts...

I set up the wiring for the LED Light bar that I plan to put on the mini stinger. For the meantime I just wired up the stock fogs to it and mounted them in the spot.

I also mounted a Trail Space Saver Spare (33x9.50) BFG AT. They don't make that size anymore I think. I have had this one for about 14 years. Mounted it up on one of my old aluminum wheels for now. I have a black disk to put over the rim that screws into the mount and will hold a tow strap. The fully aired 33 is about the same height as the aired down 35... so on the trail it works.

And finally I got all the mud off.... so i snapped a few extra pics

Unread 01-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #37
Harvo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

After a geocashing trip this weekend, I got a pretty bad shimmy in the steering. I had it back when I was running wide flat 33" AT's, and these Goodyears are very similar (wide flat tread patch). So I dug in and found a bad unit bearing and a shot axle joint on the passenger side. That reduced the shimmy but I think I just have some ornery tires.

I also took off the bent aftermarket tie rod (I think it was an RE maybe). I replaced it with a solid Grand Cherokee unit for now. Mucho beefy. I had one on my XJ with 35's and never had any issues.

Any chance to snap a picture... right?
dsc05692.jpg  
Unread 01-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #38
Harvo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had to bump up the priority of the flat fenders because I was destroying my sway bar disconnects everytime out. Antirocks are on the list, but I really think the tires would rub those offroad too.

I had been looking at the Poison Spider fenders, but in reality that project was going to cost me alot of coin at one time and there are still other important things I need soon.

Last night we had a meet and greet with some guys from the forum here. Great guys! One of them had the MCE Flexible Flares. They really looked good and the lifetime warranty is as appealing as the price. In pictures online they look good but I just wasn't convinced until I saw them in person.

So I pulled thr trigger on a pair of those last night. Install write up soon! That will allow me to use the wheel spacers I have, widen my stance some, and still keep my lift conservatively low with the 35's. And with the extra money I didn't spend, I will also be able to upgrade my axles sooner too.
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #39
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Did you order the 3" ones? Here is a nice wirte up on installing them http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ne...angler-959981/
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #40
Harvo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yes I went with the 3". I read that thread. It's a good one too, and I guess if I ever decide to go with the PSC fenders in the future... I can do that too.

If I had done the zero flare, I would have wanted to remove the flares in back and do some full corners. The 3" compliments the factory rear flare, so I can keep using those for a while.
Unread 01-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #41
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Will you paint them to match or just black?
Unread 01-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #42
Harvo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

With the MCEs, I think I'll just leave them black.

I can't get anything done to the Jeep because I enjoy driving the dang thing too much Me and my group were supposed to have a wheeling/camping trip this weekend, but the place we were going has about 5 water crossings every mile. It's been raining for two weeks and the rivers are up. We got reports the place was impassible.

Today was a beautiful day, so a few of us loaded up and went SE TN ghost town hunting off old forest roads. Here are some pics of that. We eventually got stopped by a tree.

and I did manage a few very minor tech mods while waiting on the MCEs ... that I will get some pics up of tomorrow.
dsc05713.jpg   dsc05720.jpg   dsc05722.jpg   dsc05727.jpg   dsc05733.jpg  

dsc05734.jpg   dsc05740.jpg   dsc05744.jpg   dsc05752.jpg  
Unread 01-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #43
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Those are some cool old structures , wish we had more of that stuff here . Great pics , and a nice clean build . Keep up the good work .
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #44
Harvo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Those are some cool old structures , wish we had more of that stuff here . Great pics , and a nice clean build . Keep up the good work .
Thanks for the compliment.

I am waiting for the MCE Fenders still, so I'm screwing around with some little stuff in the meantime.

Figured out my spare long side spare axle mount with Quick Fist Clamps. I think I am going to get their tank mounting straps for my Co2 Tank.

I also tore out the center console. My Sub was toast, so following several threads on here, I ordered the Pyramid sub and will be installing that when it arrives. My sub cone was mostly powder.

While I was at it, I moved the CB from overhead. It is convenient and loud enough there, but the mic is always getting in the way. So it's on the back of the console now.

And tonight I installed 900 lumens of single 10w LED reverse goodness. Love it!
2013-01-23_19-53-21_610-480x271-.jpg   2013-01-23_19-54-07_340-480x271-.jpg   2013-01-20_15-04-25_407-480x271-.jpg   2013-01-21_18-06-43_764-480x271-.jpg  
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #45
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Those MCE fenders are going to look good on your Jeep. Where did you get the LED lights from. After seeing a club member LED dash light swap I'm thinking about trying it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.