Harvo's EX DD 02 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Harvo's EX DD 02 TJ

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
Harvo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Harvo's EX DD 02 TJ

This build thread is to document and share the transformation of my EX-Daily Driven TJ into my Trail Rig.

I have had the TJ for 6 Years. It was bone stock when i bought it for my wife. We got the Auto because it was going to be her vehicle, but that turned out to be mistake number one. When she soon decided she didn't want a Jeep for every day use, I was stuck with a 3spd slushbox instead of a manual that I would have chosen if the Jeep was for me. Fortunatly, it has been trouble free.

I drove the Jeep unmodified for a year, then for 4 years with a BB and 33" all terrains. It saw some mild trail use, but when I bought a car for myself ... the work began.

This is how the Jeep currently exists.

After retiring from DD duties I made these changes...
  • Dana 44 Rear form an XJ with Disc brakes
  • HP 30 front axle
  • Detroit locker rear and lock right front
  • I regeared to 4.11
  • Increased lift to 4" and added 35" tires
  • Brown dog MML
  • 1"BL
  • Added adjustable upper CAs
  • Built and welded on rocker guard/tree sliders
  • Added my trusty Warn 9000
  • Threw in an Optima red top
I have used it like this for a while now, but not as much as I would like. I have been really busy with my son and his sports and scouting and whatnot. He is 8 now and he loves riding in the Jeep, so it's time to get this rig finished. I'm going after this with the One and Done mentality. Spend what I need to once instead of gradually getting bigger or stronger. I have wheeled Jeeps of various types for 20 years... so I know what I want out of this.

Happy with the sliders. The cage will tie into those.

This little stubby bumber is just some randon rock bumper I put on and stuck the rubber bumper bouncers onto.

Great Battery!

I'm sure you have seen plenty of these.

My stance is a little narrow. I've had these wheels for about 20 years. They are only 7" wide. So I am going to get some wider offset aluminum rims to widen her up a little.

This is how I left the Jeep 2 hours ago...

It's stripped down and ready for the full cage, which will start on Wednesday. I will be getting rid of all the stock bars, but I will have to weld on some nuts to the torx to get the main hoop out.

It's getting a full cage with a fastback look, that will go through the dash. Phase 2 will tie it into the frame... but that happens later.

After that, It will be losing the flares, getting armored rear fenders and flat front fenders (likely TNT).

I'm on the hunt for wheels, because 37" Goodyears will be finding their way into the fenders in the near future.

I know that 4.11 gears on the 3spd with 37" tires sounds silly... but on the road they will be right in the RPM wheelhouse. Right now with 35's I'm pulling 3200 RPMs at 70 mph. For the off road duties though... bleck! It's already challenged as is. So when the tires go on, it will be getting some T-Case love.

I'm starting a thread NOW because a lot will be happening with his Jeep during the next few months.

My goal is the same it has been with all my Jeeps. A rig that can do all the hard trails and still get there and back under it's own power. I have a trailer and truck... but what fun is that?

Unread 11-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Harvo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

TIMMAY!!!

Well I couldn't get into the welding shop like was planned yesterday. The next opening is monday. Everything is here. Tubing is ready, and the Jeep has been stripped out for over a week now.

Having second thoughts on the design now. All tubes were going to be replaced, but I want to keep the factory front seatbelts. I know I can put the shoulder belts on the new bar, but trying to decide if it's worth it or if I should use the stock main hoop. It's ugly, but functional.

Thoughts?
Unread 11-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
imcfarland93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice base to go off of. I like it. I think your best bet is to make the cage as strong as possible. If u think about harnesses in the future it'd be nice to have that option. I'm interested to see what it's gonna turn into now that you got the go ahead to build it

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ians-1993-jeep-wrangler-yj-sarah-1225169/[/url]
imcfarland93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
Harvo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks!

I did get one more part that I forgot to mention. A new Rock Ready Deep Transmission Pan was delivered to me from Summit a couple of days ago.

The stock pan for the 3 speed auto was sucked dry one too many times for my liking this summer. Actually once was too much

Nothing like being halfway up a steep climb and the Jeep slips into this fake nautral, rolls back 5 feet and then grabs again with a scary lurch that shifts the front of the Jeep sideways and dangerously close to rolling off the hill.

So that goes in next week too and will hopefully end all that rolling back mess.
Unread 11-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
imcfarland93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo
Thanks!

I did get one more part that I forgot to mention. A new Rock Ready Deep Transmission Pan was delivered to me from Summit a couple of days ago.

The stock pan for the 3 speed auto was sucked dry one too many times for my liking this summer. Actually once was too much

Nothing like being halfway up a steep climb and the Jeep slips into this fake nautral, rolls back 5 feet and then grabs again with a scary lurch that shifts the front of the Jeep sideways and dangerously close to rolling off the hill.

So that goes in next week too and will hopefully end all that rolling back mess.
Have u ever done a tranny flush on it? I'm worried that if you put the deep pan on and drain the ATF you'll wash away all the particles between the Clutch packs that are actually helping it stay in gear. If it hasn't been flushed before you might have excess clearance between clutch packs and it will shift like crap. Then again it could take care of the problem. U know Ur jeep Better than anyone else

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ians-1993-jeep-wrangler-yj-sarah-1225169/[/url]
Unread 11-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What sliders are those?
Unread 11-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
AngryTJ
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to the progress

Tarantula_TJ Build

2015 Colorado Trip
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
Harvo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcfarland93 View Post
Have u ever done a tranny flush on it? I'm worried that if you put the deep pan on and drain the ATF you'll wash away all the particles between the Clutch packs that are actually helping it stay in gear. If it hasn't been flushed before you might have excess clearance between clutch packs and it will shift like crap. Then again it could take care of the problem. U know Ur jeep Better than anyone else
Got the Jeep with 50 grand on the odo and it shifted like crap then. It never wanted to go down to 1st gear on it's own. Did a tranny flush then and it started working great. It's got 100 grand now so hopefully it will be All right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post
What sliders are those?
Tellico Tubes. It's a local shop that a buddy of mine owns. I've had the same design on all my Jeeps in the past. Very good for pivoting around big rocks and trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
Looking forward to the progress
Thanks...me too.
Unread 11-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
imcfarland93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You should be fine then! Hopefully it takes care of the problem!

Unread 11-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
Harvo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah... the 3 speed has a pretty common problem from what I understand. When you get them on a really steep incline, the tranny sucks the shallow pan dry. Some people overfill and that helps, but the real fix is a deeper pan. You get more fluid (2 quarts I think) and it keeps the tranny fed even up the really steep climbs.
Unread 11-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
imcfarland93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo
Yeah... the 3 speed has a pretty common problem from what I understand. When you get them on a really steep incline, the tranny sucks the shallow pan dry. Some people overfill and that helps, but the real fix is a deeper pan. You get more fluid (2 quarts I think) and it keeps the tranny fed even up the really steep climbs.
Any other modifications need to be made or clearance changes?

Unread 11-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
Harvo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcfarland93 View Post
Any other modifications need to be made or clearance changes?
Not that I am aware of... I'll know for sure tomorrow. I have a 1" BL and the MML, so I hope that doesn't cause any clearance issues. I have read of several people who did it and didn't have any issues (fingers crossed).

EDIT: I asked on the forum and I went out a measured. It has plenty of room.
Unread 11-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #13
Harvo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Got the Jeep in the welding shop today where it will likely be until after Thanksgiving. Only able to get in here and there with the holidays and the same goes for my friend that is doing most of the welding.

One step closer though
Unread 11-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #14
Harvo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well the cage is taking longer than I had hoped. Still going well. We finally got the factory cage out by welding nuts to the torx. We also have the metal. But my schedule and my friend's schedule aren't jiving right now... so work on it is slow.

I did pick these up off the J/F Classifieds, and received them today...

I'm thinking about leaving them black. It might work with the armor I have planned. The plastic was already painted black but was looking rough. I pulled the inside panels off, cleaned them up and sprayed them black again. The doors polished up nice, and once I get the red () hinges painted black, they will look relatively new.

Loved the half doors every since having them on my first Jeep. This was the first chance I have had to get a set again. Glad I did. Ready for spring again
Unread 12-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #15
Harvo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Finally some progress pics. The cage is coming together. I really like the way it is turning out. We still have to pull it back out to finish a couple of welds, and paint... put it back in and add a couple of more small bars. Then seatbelts... grab bars... and it should be ready to put everything back inside. I only got a couple of shots, but maybe you can tell a little about it from them.

Each side has a continuous tube from the front floor through the dash all the way to the back. The center bar kicks up just a little and out just a little on the sides. Everything was made to fit inside the hard top, and the upper door surrounds still fit so the soft top still works as well.

When I am ready... I will put some triangulation in the rear, but that isn't going to happen for a while.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.