GTX's low rider TJ build - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > GTX's low rider TJ build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 10-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #121
gtxracer

Got on a wild man rampage today and built the entire 2nd workbench, cleaned up the garage, organized it, and put the benches into position.

The TJ is awaiting surgery

gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #122
gtxracer

Got the garage finished finally. Took a while to get all this built and in place but it was worth it. This workbench will last me a long time and I've already put it to good use. Very happy with how it turned out and the cost of everything.

Got more done on the two np435s, they're both completely torn down.

Doing everything twice sure helped with memorizing how it came apart and how it will go back together.

comparing the main shafts-

reverse idlers

Unread 10-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #123
gtxracer

Obviously the one I picked up locally has better guts than the AA converted np435 I picked up. Originally I was just going to swap the case but now I'm swapping just the main shaft into the nicer np435. Its in much better shape, the shift fork pads are there and in good shape, no missing teeth or chips, all the bearings and good and roll freely. The only concern was the bit of water that was in the oil but it looks like it was recent, probably from sitting outside briefly after it was pulled. *crosses fingers*

paper weight

much better on the inside as you can see

This was at the bottom of the original converted trans...yeah, not running this one. Spares only. Fluid looks recent though.

Now that I had everything torn down I can clean up the case and prep it. I found a $40 parts washer on craigslist and put it to use.

Wire wheeled it

Tags from the both trans
Unread 10-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #124
gtxracer

Cleaned up the guts

Started shooting primer

Kind of like the gray on this one

Final colors. Grabber green on the crane cover to match the rear, hammered black on the pto cover, semi gloss black on the plugs, and Ford gray on the case.

Built a axle stand out of scrap. I'll be making another for the 8.8 and adding to this one for pinion support and possibly a small support for the long side tube.

Next up was the dana 300. Did I mention it was dirty?

Unread 10-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #125
gtxracer

Degreased and blasted it...still dirty

Looks good inside though! Found 1 problem area on a tooth but I think it will be fine.

The input retainer on the front is a real PITA and I'm having trouble getting it off. It's the last remaining piece until I can fully tear down the case and get it cleaned up. I've been soaking it with PB Blaster and using wooden dowels to try to get it loose but no luck so far. I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

I finally setup my Hobart Handler 187. I love this machine already, except flux core. Need to find a bottle and argon/co2 mix with some .030 wire. Anyone know a place to get a bottle? Who fills gas around here?

Messed around with it on some scrap. Gotta get my skills back before I do any real burning.
"shark fin"
Unread 10-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #126
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep looks good man! Mmmmmm...... RCV's
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #127
gtxracer

Thanks! I have another update but might wait until tomorrow. I'm almost running out of things to do until I get some 3/16 and 1/8 plate but I should be able to pick up some sheets this week.
Unread 10-20-2011, 12:17 AM   #128
gtxracer

What I was TOLD was a t176 bellhousing is in fact, NOT. This looks like it's for a T4. It's same basic shape as a T176 but different bolt patterns for the trans. I didn't notice at first. The guy I bought it from runs a Jeep/4x4 shop in Portland but I can't remember where or who he is. I lost the receipt but I used my debit card so hopefully my bank can lookup the transaction. Otherwise I'm stuck with this bellhousing as t176/t150 bellhousings are difficult to find up here. It looks like the bottom two holes should line up and I will try to drill and tap the top two.

But I'm ready to reassemble the good np435:

The front CV shaft from a XJ or TJ is, like I thought, toast. Good for the tube though, maybe I can find a new CV:

Pulled the AX15 today. It's a little dirty but very clean inside thankfully! Pulled the fender off to make things a little easier:

Clutch doesn't look too bad, hopefully I can reuse everything after I swap the disc and it will all line up:
Unread 10-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #129
gtxracer

Organization is key, I have everything labeled in bags and stored in a tote. Keeps it clean but still has it's own place.

Clean slate on the workbench for the hp30 truss start

First this needed to come off

15 minutes later

I had a piece of scrap tubing with two bends it in that will serve beautifully

Tomorrow I have plans to go pickup some 10g, 16g, and 1/4" sheet. There's also some 1/4" plate and aluminum sheets that will come in handy when making tabs, brackets, and gussets. I'm looking forward to it.
Unread 10-20-2011, 12:38 AM   #130
gtxracer

I pulled the carrier out, gotta love factory gears

Also pulled the pinion

I'll be pressing off the bearings and putting them into bags then sending the gears to Bobby Long for cryo and heat treat. I'm 90% sure I want to send my Dana 300 outputs for treatment as well to give them a little extra strength.

Forgot to mention I pulled the np231

And the poorly made exhaust (that skid is ridiculous)

rubber mount was DONE

I finally finished disassembling the dana 300

The output cover was horrible. So bad that I'll have to paint it because the aluminum was damaged from cleaning
Unread 10-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #131
gtxracer

All cleaned up

That's it for now, making decent progress.
Unread 10-20-2011, 02:56 AM   #132
Mekg
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome !
Mekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 03:45 AM   #133
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

awesome, awesome, awesome, keep it up man. great build!

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 05:32 AM   #134
mikaus
1997 TJ Wrangler 

nice work. following this with interest
mikaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #135
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Did I miss something? Are you doubling?

Sent from planet X.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.