Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

GTX's low rider TJ build

122K views 687 replies 82 participants last post by  offroader80 
#1 ·
GTX's low rider TJ build - now 4500 Ultra4 wannabe

***updated Dec 2015 - This has turned into a nearly full blown 4500 Ultra4 wannabe build!

The 1/2 ton version of the build is complete (I broke my D30 in half at the dunes) and moving onto one tons, see page 39 for 1 ton Eaton hybrid

For the fastest updates, follow me on Instagram: @jeeps4Trevin

I'm nearly finished with the first "phase" of things. I know a few of my buddies on here have wanted to see it so I'm posting up.

First up, background-

'97 TJ Sport
4.0/AX-15/NP231
LP D30 with 3.55s
D35 with 4.10s
Smittybuilt bumper
chrome EVERYWHERE
sagging 4" Skyjackoff lift
3" bodylift...yeah, wow

The good stuff:

Full banks stainless exhaust, the good kind of header and flowmaster
came with a HP30 with 4.10s
got a great deal on it
swapped in 4.0 with less miles and all is good
Alpine deck and 6.5s, Kicker 5 1/4s
Came with 35 MTRs in good shape on black steelies
Sold some of the crap for cash
hard top
hard doors too

The plan (old, see last pages)
long arms - done, with stretch
0-1" suspension lift, 1" body lift done
cage
8.8 swap done
HP30 swap done
4.10s done
locked on both ends done
RCV shafts done
SYE + CV done
35" Krawlers on alum rims done
warn upright winch done
high line fenders done
sliders
rear corner armor done
front and rear bumpers

I'll add more to the list and update as time and build goes on.

This belonged to a guy's wife. She just liked having a lifted Jeep to ride around in, didn't care about 4wd or anything like that. Can't blame her, it's a cool Jeep. The sound of the full exhaust is awesome!

Pics when I got her

Euro tails :laughing:

Pics now, page 45-

See less See more
#114 ·
Finally got myself a new place with a 2 car garage! Been collecting tools and parts for a little while now...

np435 and dana 300 with AA adapter and shaft

t176 bellhousing

mounted a 10" sub in a box in the jeep and put the amp under the seat

cleaned up the front end

hobart handler 187 (thank you girlfriend, I knew I picked you for a reason!)

another hp30 but a non CAD unit that I can truss

#115 ·
Crane cover for the d30 to match the one on the 8.8 (pic from poly performance)

Two 0 degree and two 10 degree poly performance high clearance lower link mounts

Some ball joint dana 60 inner Cs for that rainy day when I make a 1 ton front end

spare np435 since the one I got has a cracked case and top cover, waggy pitman arm too

one HUGE 1-1/4 bolt for my upper on the front

some LH JJs

I got some rusty's forged joints that take OEM bushings that I'm gonna try for a while

4 heretic fab 4340 lower links

#116 ·
Built half of my workbench with free lumber

picked up a 60 gallon air compressor, HF 20 ton press, and 16 speed drill press

I don't think I ever went over my build plans! Here's what I'm doing right now:

Complete np435/d300 swap behind the 4.0
AA adapter kit with shaft
homebrew flipped dana 300
twin stick'd
4 cyl CJ7 clutch slave cylinder
Ford/Jeep 10.5" 1-1/16" 10 spline clutch
AA or Novak pilot bushing
Ford/Jeep throw out bearing
T176 bellhousing, homebrew machining for CPS

3 link front
upper on driver's side
JJ on the upper, pressed into the housing
1-1/4 joints everywhere
28" long lowers
slightly longer uppers
multiple positions for adjustment of AS
2-3" stretch
panhard

I might make it a 4 link with panhard

4 link rear
4-5" stretch
triangulated uppers
JJs and bushings with 1-1/4 everywhere
~30" lowers
slightly longer uppers
multiple positions for AS
no sway bar
outboard shocks
gas tank "dimple" mod

HP30 will be getting polished a little bit more

gears and carrier will be sent to bobby long for cryo
Crane cover
RCVs
custom truss, bracing, gussets
Spicer ball joints when it needs 'em
Lockright or Aussie/Spartan if it starts acting up again or I destroy it
more steering, shooting for 40 degrees

#122 ·
Got the garage finished finally. Took a while to get all this built and in place but it was worth it. This workbench will last me a long time and I've already put it to good use. Very happy with how it turned out and the cost of everything.

Got more done on the two np435s, they're both completely torn down.

Doing everything twice sure helped with memorizing how it came apart and how it will go back together.

comparing the main shafts-

reverse idlers

#123 ·
Obviously the one I picked up locally has better guts than the AA converted np435 I picked up. Originally I was just going to swap the case but now I'm swapping just the main shaft into the nicer np435. Its in much better shape, the shift fork pads are there and in good shape, no missing teeth or chips, all the bearings and good and roll freely. The only concern was the bit of water that was in the oil but it looks like it was recent, probably from sitting outside briefly after it was pulled. *crosses fingers*

paper weight :D

much better on the inside as you can see

This was at the bottom of the original converted trans...yeah, not running this one. Spares only. Fluid looks recent though.

Now that I had everything torn down I can clean up the case and prep it. I found a $40 parts washer on craigslist and put it to use.

Wire wheeled it

Tags from the both trans

#124 ·
Cleaned up the guts

Started shooting primer

Kind of like the gray on this one

Final colors. Grabber green on the crane cover to match the rear, hammered black on the pto cover, semi gloss black on the plugs, and Ford gray on the case.

Built a axle stand out of scrap. I'll be making another for the 8.8 and adding to this one for pinion support and possibly a small support for the long side tube.

Next up was the dana 300. Did I mention it was dirty?

#125 ·
Degreased and blasted it...still dirty

Looks good inside though! Found 1 problem area on a tooth but I think it will be fine.

The input retainer on the front is a real PITA and I'm having trouble getting it off. It's the last remaining piece until I can fully tear down the case and get it cleaned up. I've been soaking it with PB Blaster and using wooden dowels to try to get it loose but no luck so far. I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

I finally setup my Hobart Handler 187. I love this machine already, except flux core. Need to find a bottle and argon/co2 mix with some .030 wire. Anyone know a place to get a bottle? Who fills gas around here?

Messed around with it on some scrap. Gotta get my skills back before I do any real burning.
"shark fin"

#128 ·
What I was TOLD was a t176 bellhousing is in fact, NOT. This looks like it's for a T4. It's same basic shape as a T176 but different bolt patterns for the trans. I didn't notice at first. The guy I bought it from runs a Jeep/4x4 shop in Portland but I can't remember where or who he is. I lost the receipt but I used my debit card so hopefully my bank can lookup the transaction. Otherwise I'm stuck with this bellhousing as t176/t150 bellhousings are difficult to find up here. It looks like the bottom two holes should line up and I will try to drill and tap the top two.

But I'm ready to reassemble the good np435:

The front CV shaft from a XJ or TJ is, like I thought, toast. Good for the tube though, maybe I can find a new CV:

Pulled the AX15 today. It's a little dirty but very clean inside thankfully! Pulled the fender off to make things a little easier:

Clutch doesn't look too bad, hopefully I can reuse everything after I swap the disc and it will all line up:

#129 ·
Organization is key, I have everything labeled in bags and stored in a tote. Keeps it clean but still has it's own place.

Clean slate on the workbench for the hp30 truss start

First this needed to come off

15 minutes later

I had a piece of scrap tubing with two bends it in that will serve beautifully

Tomorrow I have plans to go pickup some 10g, 16g, and 1/4" sheet. There's also some 1/4" plate and aluminum sheets that will come in handy when making tabs, brackets, and gussets. I'm looking forward to it.

#130 ·
I pulled the carrier out, gotta love factory gears

Also pulled the pinion

I'll be pressing off the bearings and putting them into bags then sending the gears to Bobby Long for cryo and heat treat. I'm 90% sure I want to send my Dana 300 outputs for treatment as well to give them a little extra strength.

Forgot to mention I pulled the np231

And the poorly made exhaust (that skid is ridiculous)

rubber mount was DONE

I finally finished disassembling the dana 300

The output cover was horrible. So bad that I'll have to paint it because the aluminum was damaged from cleaning

#137 ·
awesome, awesome, awesome, keep it up man. great build!
nice work. following this with interest
Thanks gents!

:confused: Did I miss something? Are you doubling?

Sent from planet X.
No doubler. New drivetrain will be 4.0/np435/d300 with 4.10s in the axles still. I will do 4:1 gears in the tcase in the future though.

FINALLY, **** starts to get intense. Get it dude.
Thanks I'm on it :D

#133 ·
awesome, awesome, awesome, keep it up man. great build!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.