GTX's low rider TJ build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > GTX's low rider TJ build

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #46
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So now you got to cut the hood down? Looking good so far!

nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #47
jharvey615
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Are your tires the red label crawlers and what about the sipes in the tread custom?
Unread 10-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #48
gtxracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibstools View Post
So now you got to cut the hood down? Looking good so far!
Thanks! Just the hood left to cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharvey615 View Post
Are your tires the red label crawlers and what about the sipes in the tread custom?
Blue labels, street compound. 35 Krawlers aren't available in red compound but I still drive it to the trail so I need the blue labels anyway. The sipes in the tread are for better traction in the snow, previous owner (shameless plug: Larry @ Crawl magazine) did them.
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2010, 08:08 AM   #49
BPJOOP93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

looks nice so far whats the plan for the rear, with tire clearance?
BPJOOP93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #50
gtxracer

Thanks! Actually the rear has a built in 1" lift from the 8.8 axle tubes donors slightly higher than the front. This is why I want zj coils up front but right now some minor trimming will be more than enough to clear the krawlers. I'll take pics and write that up too.
Unread 10-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #51
gtxracer

Made a lot of progress on the TJ and even drove it today. It sits nice and low so I'm real happy. Need to finish the little touches then its time to install the RCV shafts.

Here's the rest of the install:

First off, I can't stress enough - CUT YOUR HOOD FIRST! And make sure it's straight. I need an entirely new front clip, maybe not a grill, but everything else is too tweaked. Oh and don't even try to crimp a lip on the hood, just cut it and make sure you measure 15 times before you cut.

So, I have a very loose front end and wanted to make sure it was secure. I made some extended front body "bumpers" by taking off the stock ones and adding some leftover body mount pucks and making their holes bigger to put a bolt through. There's no nut on the end, they're held in place by gravity and the frame. Oh and drilling out the bumpers takes some patience and technique, it will take off the finish from any black drill bit-

Unread 10-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #52
gtxracer

Then take the hood off since you didn't cut it first

I would show the measuring and taping process but mine didn't work correctly and I had to eyeball it and trim, test fit, trim, test fit, etc because I didn't cut the hood first then build the fenders off it. So, that's another reason to cut the hood first AND while it's on the Jeep....so much easier.

Finished product

Unread 10-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #53
USAFRecon

Awesome man great job
USAFRecon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #54
gtxracer

Today I parked on a hill next to a TJ that is similar to mine but mostly stock in the lift/tires. Overall mine is only about 3-4" higher even with a hard top.

Unread 10-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #55
gtxracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFRecon View Post
Awesome man great job
Thanks!

What's your AFSC? I was an active duty Ammo troop (2W0) for fours years and now I'm a 1C4 in training in the ANG.
Unread 10-29-2010, 08:55 PM   #56
USAFRecon

2F051 Fuels Troop
USAFRecon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2010, 10:16 PM   #57
gtxracer

Ah, cool! I knew of few fuel guys when I worked on the flightline. Try not to smell the fumes! Haha
Unread 11-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #58
gtxracer

So I replaced the springs and pins in the front lock right the other day and found this-

Whoops. I put it back in after I removed the chunks. It was still working, just had the clicking action, so I think it should be fine. Gonna run it til it explodes I guess.

Start this crazy install-

Won't be done until mid next week, too much stuff going on right now. Might be going wheeling up north in the S N O W
Unread 11-06-2010, 10:27 PM   #59
Ramathorn
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Can't wait to see the finished product! Thumbs up for a fellow Washington jeeper!
Ramathorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #60
gtxracer

Thanks! Hope to finish it this week!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.