GTX's low rider TJ build - Page 36 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > GTX's low rider TJ build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-05-2014, 11:59 PM   #526
gtxracer

Still haven't started my cage. Picked up the toob 2 weeks ago.

Went on a day trip this weekend, needed that for sure

small video from messing around, rear seems stiff and was jolting a bit. Shocks might be bad in the cold?

gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:13 AM   #527
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Very cool looking and nice to see it on the trails.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #528
gtxracer

Thank you, it was good to get back on them. Might make it out this Saturday but we'll see.
Unread 01-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #529
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hurry up with your Eaton swap. Hoping to throw in my rear Eaton soon with a D60 front. I have a 4.56 3rd currently for the Eaton but wouldnt mind a 5.13 3rd member. need to start looking around.

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #530
gtxracer

Haha! I'm working on it. I need to do some measuring to finalize the width of each axle tube and then cut to length. I am also debating just retubing the axle. This would make it easier for me use a seal from Trail Gear or Spidertax but would cost around $240. For that money I could make a truss front and rear and just make sure everything is aligned.

As for axle shafts, I think I'll be picking up some of the Spidertrax two piece units from a racing team. It will just be the yokes and I can have the full float shafts resplined. Much cheaper in the long run.

Need to get the beadlocks powder coated. Hopefully picking up new tires Sunday. New coils and shocks will be going in the rear unless I can find coil overs for cheap. Will be going with a fuel cell like a RCI 2162 unless I can make the tj stretch tank fit. Also need to buy heims and the 7075 steering material. One last thing, I'd really like a sway bar in the rear if I can swing it.
Unread 01-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #531
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
Update finally

Fabbed a new mount. 1.75x.120 DOM, 1/4" for the center mount. Still need to trim it up and weld it. I like this mount a lot more. Frame angle is 8* per side.
I like this build man, got a couple questions for ya.
Nice crossmember, is it a 4.0L/465/300?
What forced you into the front pillow block, the slave cylinder? You mention CJ hydraulics, what master/slave did you run?
Thanks,
Ben
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #532
gtxracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce View Post
I like this build man, got a couple questions for ya.
Nice crossmember, is it a 4.0L/465/300?
What forced you into the front pillow block, the slave cylinder? You mention CJ hydraulics, what master/slave did you run?
Thanks,
Ben
Thank you! Yes, 4.0/435/300. The 465 and 435 are pretty much the same trans, muncie 4 spd.

The front 2 piece shaft was to go around the slave cylinder. That's running low lift. With a 4" lift, you probably wouldn't hit it. I have to limit the uptravel on that side, even with 2" springs and 1.75" diameter driveline.

I'm currently remaking that 2 piece shaft and figured out what needs to happen in order for it to work properly. I'll post that up when I finish it. Might wait for the 1 tons.

I run a CJ master and slave cylinder, from a 4cyl iron duke motor, around 1985 year. I modified the TJ clutch plate on the firewall in order to mount the CJ master cylinder. Any will do, just make sure they jive with each other and run a hard line between them. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I over-thought a lot of the np435 swap, its much simpler than I realized at first.
Unread 05-08-2014, 11:56 PM   #533
gtxracer

I guess this is a good time to announce that I ordered a pair of coilovers for the TJ. I need to get them on the Jeep before July 4th as that is my first ever dunes trip. I will try to get the cage in there by that time too.

Finals finished yesterday. Onto the madness! Trying to help my buddy finish his Taco 2RZ rebuild then I can work on my junk at night.
Unread 05-26-2014, 10:33 PM   #534
gtxracer

Been busy since the semester ended...let me know what y'all think

this fell out

Took a joy ride like this around the block...pretty fun actually. Makes me want a flatty.

These showed up

Then started messing with some toob
Unread 05-26-2014, 10:41 PM   #535
gtxracer

14" Fox 2.0 with resis, they will get thrown in the back first. Hope everything fits and the "stock" frame can fit all that shock and uptravel! That might fall off too...

Cut off the rear shock hoops to get max packaging

Also noticed that all of the forward fuel tank bolts were loose and one broke off. I hit a stump with the entire weight of the jeep back in january. Trying lines that only the guys with 40s took...heh, should probably cut all that off huh?

Bought these from Chassis Unlimited. These are $16.99 for a PAIR!!! Shipping is around $7 so that's a steal compared to all the others. Everyone else wants $25+ for EACH one plus $15 shipping. Good lord!

Also made these frame tie-ins

But my old press had seen better days. This is what happens when you don't have enough support on your press brake.

And this is the fix

Which led to this. Fits a 3" poly bushing from RuffStuff.

measure measure measure cut notch measure measure measure cut notch measure measure measure cut notch
Unread 05-30-2014, 08:40 AM   #536
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good. Can't wait to see the new axles in. There is a set on Pirate I have been eyeballing for months
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #537
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, that's a hell of a deal for some seriously proper shock mounts. Nice tube work man, keep posting up.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #538
gtxracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
Looking good. Can't wait to see the new axles in. There is a set on Pirate I have been eyeballing for months
Thank you! There's an Eaton/60 hybrid on Pirate for sale and some sweet built 60s. Both good deals! New axles will get built after the cage and coilovers and my tow rig needs new shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Wow, that's a hell of a deal for some seriously proper shock mounts. Nice tube work man, keep posting up.
Yup! Couldn't believe the price. Thank you, I have more to share, I'll post them soon!
Unread 05-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #539
gtxracer

More progress

B spreader is at just the right height

windshield bars are in too. needs the support bars in the center

Thoughts? Still have a few more tubes to add, obviously
Unread 05-31-2014, 07:57 PM   #540
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

notching looks awesome man... any plan to run some diagonals from B to C both overhead and on the sides

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/jf-trip-2-0-a-2608114/"][SIZE="3"][B]
2015 Colorado Trip[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.