GTX's low rider TJ build - Page 35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > GTX's low rider TJ build

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #511
gtxracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
Where is that place located? Looks like some fun rock climbs
Naches trails, outside of Yakama WA. There are a lot of climbs here but only two locations for rocks. I want to do a lot more rocks but its hard to find them in the PNW. Need a trip to Moab or KOH now that I have a tow rig and camper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
Nice. I love Naches. Ever run the shoestring?
We were going to and ran out of time. Our goal was to hit moon and funny rocks. Well worth it. Need a cage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by propjockey2002 View Post
Great build, took me all day to read it. Love the action shots.
Thank you, I'm honored that you read it all! hah

gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #512
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Great pics!
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #513
gtxracer

Thank you! It was a gorgeous place to go wheeling.
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #514
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
Thank you! It was a gorgeous place to go wheeling.
Wish there was something like that close by. Curious, do you run the Krawlers at all on the street, and did the siphoned lugs help? I have only had mine for a couple months.
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #515
gtxracer

Yup I run tem all the time on the street and highway. They're a radial and aren't that bad at all. Even with the beadlocks they don't wobble. No steering stabilizer either.

Siped lugs do help a bit. I've heard that's a factory sipe now.
Unread 07-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #516
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks man I will give it a shot then
Unread 07-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #517
gtxracer

Hmmm....is that bent? Other tire is a little low, maybe its just the articulation. EDIT: Just the flat tire on the other side.

Unread 07-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #518
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks bent but looks can be deceiving.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #519
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

What springs do you have? I like the look of how low your Jeep sits.

Do you have your Jeep profile filled out?
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #520
gtxracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Looks bent but looks can be deceiving.
Yeah I need to air up the other side and check it out. Its alright its getting tons within a year or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
What springs do you have? I like the look of how low your Jeep sits.

Do you have your Jeep profile filled out?
Fronts are progressive 2" pro comp, rear are stock Rubi with 3/4" spacer.

My Jeep profile....no haha. Doubt I'll ever fill it out. If you want a spec rundown let me know.
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #521
gtxracer

Selling my hardtop if anyone is interested. I'm only going to smash it with the way things are progressing! hah

Send me a PM if you want it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/...black-1556788/
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #522
gtxracer

Here's an update since I've been off the jeep grid for a while...

Been collecting parts and fixing small stuff. Being in school full time and working 30 hours a week doesn't give me much time to work on the TJ. Plus I've been helping my buddy pull and repair his 2RZ from his prerunner. I still managed to do a couple things on the Jeep and I also have full access to a machine shop now including a TIG. Still need to learn how to use the TIG but I learned the other machines. I'm also designing and manufacturing a 1/10 scale RC Car for the local RC Baja competition in the spring. Time is critical but someone I'm making it all work. Oh, and I have a new girlfriend too...sometimes I wonder how I make it all work!

Anyway, I picked up another Eaton HO72, 4.10 gears, 14 bolt locker, 14 bolt shafts, disc brakes. Have a guy in Portland with a 5.13 chunk he will trade me. Still need another 14 bolt locker and some 5.13 gears/chunk but I can start on the front HO72 now.

Picked up some Dodge 2500 unit bearing inner Cs and knuckles

Broke the old inner Cs in half because the guy cut them and rotated them like an idiot

So now I have two full sets of unit bearings and outer stubs. This way, I have a spare for the Jeep and my tow rig. Gonna keep the inner axles in case I break one on the tow rig but the new 1 piece axles for the front HO72 will be custom 30 spline.

Replaced the water pump, this thing must be the original

And then sold the hard top and bought a half cab top from Renegade on Amazon for $170 + shipping including a tonneau cover

Been driving it to school in the morning, love this thing all over again. I'm not sure when the new build will commence but I will probably start a new thread for it. A cage is definitely in the plan and probably some tube fenders for the rear. I will also try to keep everything else the same including the fuel tank. I like the notched tank and the rear storage space. Don't feel like cutting off the frame right now. I would like to keep it on the road and just wheel it for a while then quickly swap axles and go to 37s. Probably going with some MTR Kevlars due to their road manners, price, and availability. Enough clown shoes, I want this thing to be a driver! Also have plans for a V8 next year sometime. But for now - cage, tons, 37s. Wheel it.

One last thing - bought some 17" beadlocks. BTR wheels, 17x8 8 on 6.5, going to powder coat them black and do either a burnt orange ring or keep it silver.

Unread 11-20-2013, 01:32 AM   #523
gtxracer

Ball is rolling now, axles are all torn down and alignment pucks are done for the third. Just need to make the two pucks for the axle tube. Spun up two shift knobs out of aluminum for the transfer case shifters.

Couple cool factors about the Eaton axles:

Housing is symmetrical
Third member bolt pattern is symmetrical
Thirds can be flipped and run in reverse
Link mounts can go right on the housing, it's mild steel
14 bolt shafts and locker can be swapped in
SRW hubs make it a 65" WMS axle, DRW makes it 63" WMS

Cage is going in this winter break. That's the only plan for right now plus seats and harnesses. Interior will get a small update with the cage. Axles will also be getting built when I have time and going in Spring/Summer. If I can swing, 6.0 will go in at the same time.

pics

getting better at this whole "machining" thing

"flipped" third bolted in the housing in factory location

knobs
Unread 11-20-2013, 01:48 AM   #524
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm....the more I read about HO72's, the more I like them.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #525
gtxracer

They're a very cool axle. I have less than 1k tied into my front and rear axles so far. That's 3 Eaton axles, a Dodge D60 front, spare Dodge UBs and stubs, 2 5.14 thirds, 1 Eaton No-Spin locker, 1 14B locker, 1 4.10 third, two disc brake kits (brand new), and all the alignment junk.

If I were building traditional Ford D60 and 14 Bolt, I'd easily be at $3k+ already and a 609/9 setup would be $4k+ for similar strength With custom axles I'll still be well under what it would have cost to buy and narrow a D60. I'll have drop out thirds, factory 5.14 gears, easy to obtain and swap out lockers, and plenty of spares. Plus the Dodge knuckles are pretty much high steer oriented from the factory and I have a plan for those too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.