GTX's low rider TJ build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > GTX's low rider TJ build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #31
gtxracer

Thanks! I like the flatty look too. One of these days I'll build an old GPW or MB Willys. Those rear corners are actually holding paint well despite my scrapes and scratches from trees and roots on the trail. I'm hoping to have at least one side of the highline done this weekend, maybe both depending on the weather.

gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #32
gtxracer

Got more work done today, I'll post up the progress later. Got a dilemma to deal with too:

I'm going to paint my knuckles while they're off for the RCV install. What color should I go with? I was thinking either lime green like the Crane cover in the rear or bright orange like the RCV cones. What do you guys think? I'll probably pick up a Riddler diff cover for the front too so I have total protection from rocks and debris and that will be lime green.
Unread 10-24-2010, 05:32 PM   #33
jharvey615
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Watching this one want to see the finished product on the fenders and hood plus let me know how those shafts hold up I have been looking at those myself.
Unread 10-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #34
gtxracer

Thanks, I'll keep this thread updated. I seriously doubt I'll break the RCV shafts. I got both fenders mounted up, need to finish welding the shortened braces (buddy is doing it, I need a MIG!) and then straighten everything out and cut the hood. Should be done by the end of the week, assuming the rain ends.
Unread 10-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #35
shark02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work man! good to see some tech on this site. Reading this thread I thought I was having deja vu until I realized that you are on pirate as well. What are you planning on for your suspension?
shark02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 11:19 PM   #36
gtxracer

Thanks, I'll make sure to finish up with pics and a write up. It's not that difficult, just takes patience and some time. My fenders are exactly brand new either so that helps.

Suspension will be 3 link front with track bar and rear will be single triangulated four link. Gonna use Johnny joints or creeper joints with rubicon express super ride rubber bushings on the axle end. It will be more of a mid arm setup, 3" stretch up front, 4" out back for 100"'wb. While I do the stretch I'll be swapping in a 4spd transmission with granny low (t18, sm420, np435) and a flipped twin sticked Dana 300. I have an idea to build a beefier front axle for the front digs but won't give that away until later.

Any more questions feel free to ask.
Unread 10-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #37
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Dude as much time as you spent reading and collecting the info for the Ultimate TJ on Pirate. This will be a great build to watch. Crawled.
Hendrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #38
gtxracer

Thanks Hendrix, I actually put together all that info in '07 so it's been a while but I refer to it as much as any other guy. Should have an update on the fenders today...
Unread 10-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #39
gtxracer

I'm gonna start this update with a shout out to my two most unhelpful helpers:

Brady:

And Addison:

At least Brady is the lookout...

Here's where I marked the fenders, the holes are drilled 3 3/8" below the original holes, meaning it raises the fenders up 3 3/8" from stock. I think this gives the best body lines but some people like 3 1/4" more.

Pulled off the other fender so I could start the other measurements and start cutting the battery braces and other fender brace.

Battery/fender brace-

Other side-
Unread 10-25-2010, 10:22 PM   #40
gtxracer

I took out 1 3/4" from each brace and mount. So, they're going back in their original resting places but will be trimmed down so they fit with the raised up fenders (think calculus and trig). I chose this route but it is not the only way to go. I actually do not like the way I did this part as I eliminated half of the bolts that held the braces to the inner fender and battery plate. It's still very tight and strong, just not what I want. Also, while I'm on that note, I do not like my fenders. Jeep didn't intend for these fenders to be shaped and formed like this, so they tend to fall apart on the older Jeeps like mine. I'll be building tube fenders down the road but will still use the inner fenders. I'll also be building new braces.

After the cut and weld:

Waiting for my welder to finish the other side since I don't gave a MIG....still.

Eyeball the holes because you don't care about your fenders, like me, or measure (I did a little, I swear). Then bolt everything up.

Trim the stock battery plate...quite a bit. But it makes the battery come out nice...

Red top fits underneath the ECU by about 3 or 4mm...battery hold down will be tricky but I think I can pull it off

Oh and excuse my pictures, it's hard to hold my iphone when it's so cold and wet that I'm shaking...haha
Unread 10-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #41
gtxracer

When you drill the holes for both sides, you get something like this

Fenderwell looks like this:

My grill is off alignment a little bit since the fenders have been so bashed up and smashed and who knows what else

I'll add some new body mounts up front to help that out

After some beatings with a hammer and a dowel, looks like this-

Take the hood off and prep it for cutting, start measuring, then realize you have to stabilize the grill and add the other fender support before continuing

Unread 10-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #42
gtxracer

That's as far as I got today, waiting for the welder to finish up so I can finish up the driver's side. After that I'll start tweaking and fine tuning the fender so they're straight and add the extra grill mounts using the excess 3" body mounts I cut.

If anyone has questions, just ask.

Oh and I don't think I'll be highlining the rear since it has a LOT of room in there. I'll trim the fender flares a bit and it will look and function pretty good. Might do the same to the front flares to have a matching set.
Unread 10-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #43
gtxracer

1225 views and apparently only 3 of you care to say anything
Unread 10-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #44
shark02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
Thanks, I'll make sure to finish up with pics and a write up. It's not that difficult, just takes patience and some time. My fenders are exactly brand new either so that helps.

Suspension will be 3 link front with track bar and rear will be single triangulated four link. Gonna use Johnny joints or creeper joints with rubicon express super ride rubber bushings on the axle end. It will be more of a mid arm setup, 3" stretch up front, 4" out back for 100"'wb. While I do the stretch I'll be swapping in a 4spd transmission with granny low (t18, sm420, np435) and a flipped twin sticked Dana 300. I have an idea to build a beefier front axle for the front digs but won't give that away until later.

Any more questions feel free to ask.
Nice, that is going to be a sweet setup. I'm looking forward to watching this build. I had never heard of creeper joints until now, are they of comparable quality to johnny joints? I have heard some unfavorable things about trail gear in the past.
shark02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #45
gtxracer

Some people have had good results with the creepers. Others haven't. JJs are a standby though, so I might just go with them when I finally get to building my mid arm.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.