GTX's low rider TJ build - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > GTX's low rider TJ build

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #241
gtxracer

Well....UPS didn't come today. Bummer...but there's a lot of snow and ice that has slowed down everything around here. Oh well...today was another snow day. And they just emailed us....so is tomorrow

So I spent a part of today's garage time cutting wood for the fireplace in case the power went out. After that I got started on the rear bridge support. Came out well.

Three 7/16 bolts will hold it to the diff near the pinion and I will be drilling four 7/16 holes for plug welds in the bridge itself. Then a vertical 1/4" wall gusset will tie into the entire support all the way up into the two link tabs which will also have supports.

Then I wanted to add a little "flare" to my project. Something I can put a little extra work into that will set my rig apart. I still needed lower coil retainers, so I use some of the 10g aluminum that has been just sitting under my workbench.

Then knocked out some 3/4" holes and dimpled them. Gave it that brushed look and cleaned it up. Not sure if I want the dimpled side down or up.

this side up?

or this side?

gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #242
gtxracer

Got this today for a good deal, 120 size. Filled it up on the way home, bought some wire and extra tips too. UPS won't deliver anything until monday or later....so this weekend I'll have to just work on all the other little stuff I can find. The only "big" thing to do is get the crossmember finished and that shouldn't take long.

I have no idea why the picture came out so crappy!
Unread 01-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #243
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So were you just running flux core before?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-little-yj-1127802/
nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #244
gtxracer

Yes and I hate it....terrible for keeping it clean.
Unread 01-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #245
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You will love being on the bottle! virtually no cleanup!

Unread 01-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #246
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 01-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #247
gtxracer

You're right I love it already! Need to fine tune the gas but it's already much easier.

So I got started with the bottle and new wire. I had about 10 feet of flux core left on the small spool I bought. Perfect timing! Then I wanted to practice by putting together a base and anchoring system for the cylinder on the welding cart. This is how it came out and I'm very open to some positive criticism to my welds from today-

in place on the bottom and I added the top part from my old welding cart that I sold with my Lincoln

All set. Needs casters and paint. Total cost so far - $0 from scrap

Started up on the crossmember again. Cut out the notch for the adapter

Then I cut a bevel into a 2" quarter wall bar on both ends

And bent it up

then put it in place and burned it in

did more CAD (cardboard aided design)

cut it out, smoothed it up, bent it to shape
Unread 01-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #248
gtxracer

drilled the mounting holes from the template I made

Bolted it up, set everything to how it will sit between the frame rails, and tacked it in place. Then took it off for final welding

I really like how it came out! Very stout and I love the design.

Also welded up the Ruff Stuff crossmember tabs to their plate. I also trimmed off about an inch from each plate in order to fit the frame better. Marked their locations on the frame so putting them back in place will be a breeze. First passes...needs another to be good to go.

close up...thought it was a cool pic
Unread 01-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #249
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Welds are looking good!

What CFM are you running?

Unread 01-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #250
gtxracer

Thanks! Started at 20, now at 25. I have circulation in the garage.
Unread 01-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #251
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That sounds high but I guess it depends on the equipment. I run mine at @ 12 even outside and the welds are very clean.

Unread 01-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #252
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Unless the air moving around is enough to move dust or something similar from your work area, 20 cfm is ideal for indoors. More than that is just wasting gas. Outside, it's all variable. Set it to 30 and test it, and go from there.

Your welds look good. Are you still running the same tip and nozzle as you were with the flux? I'm not familiar with the Hobart set up.

Also what gas are you using? Mixed, or straight CO2?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #253
gtxracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibstools View Post
That sounds high but I guess it depends on the equipment. I run mine at @ 12 even outside and the welds are very clean.
You're the first I've seen running lower than 20? When I ran 20 I had problems with air pockets. Turned it up and they're gone. I have a slight breeze in my garage because I set up two fans - one push, one pull - to ventilate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post
Unless the air moving around is enough to move dust or something similar from your work area, 20 cfm is ideal for indoors. More than that is just wasting gas. Outside, it's all variable. Set it to 30 and test it, and go from there.

Your welds look good. Are you still running the same tip and nozzle as you were with the flux? I'm not familiar with the Hobart set up.

Also what gas are you using? Mixed, or straight CO2?
It can move the dust...I can watch the smoke move out of the garage with the way it's setup. I can play with it some more.

Thanks, it's c25. Same tip and nozzle, .030 wire.
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #254
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey I'm not faulting you! Gotta get familiar with your own setup. who knows maybe my guage is way out of whack! That weld on that axle joint was done at 12 cfm (per my meter) I do know if you have too much flow you can cool the weld too fast, but your not anywhere near that point. I was having that issue when I first started learning to TIG not too long ago.

BTW I run 75% argon 25% co2 for MIG and 100% argon for TIG.

Unread 01-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #255
LilSteve97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I run my gas at 15 most of the time with great success. Having it up to high can be bad.
LilSteve97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.