GTX's low rider TJ build - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > GTX's low rider TJ build

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 01-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #196
gtxracer

Told the stock brackets to take a hike. Each one took about 10 minutes with grinder, hammer, and plasma cutter.

Glad I cut them off

Then I mocked up the tank skid and slid the axle in place. It will be difficult to get 5" out of this tank without cutting more out of it and getting into the "bubble" underneath. I will still try to squeeze every inch out of the rear end to make the front stretch easier, ie., no box move. I might rotate it anyway but we'll see.

For anyone looking on how to assemble the high clearance poly performance lower control arm mounts...this is how they're mocked up

Not too happy about the gap left...it's about 1.5-2mm.

Finally was able to accurately measure what my separation will be. Just like I predicted, 6.5". I'm glad I didn't drill a 4th hole in the link towers...the cut line is right in the center of where it would have been drilled.

Tomorrow....suspension mockup begins.

gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2012, 05:06 AM   #197
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sohow are you making the dimples in the steel plate? i think you may have said already deep in this thread somewhere but I can't find it!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-little-yj-1127802/
nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #198
gtxracer

No worries, they're called dimple dies. I didn't want to spend close to $400 for my set when I knew I only needed a few sizes so I bought these:

http://www.straightlineinnovations.com/index.html

He makes his from 4140 and they are very good quality. It's just a guy in his shop making them but if you let him know you really want a set he will make them right away. He usually has a few sets already made but it's good to know he's prompt. I've had them for almost 6 months and love them.

Here's another place if you want individual sizes or specific sizes:

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/dimple-dies.html
Unread 01-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #199
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you sir! do you use a press to mash them together?

Unread 01-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #200
gtxracer

No problem nibs. I use a Harbor Freight 20 ton press, but there are many ways to do it. If you find the dimple dies with a hole in the center you can use a fine thread bolt and an impact gun to dimple the plate.
Unread 01-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #201
gtxracer

How the brackets are supposed to be for 2.63" joints...I have a feeling these were cut for 3.00

Had the plasma doin work for me...

link towers

frame brackets

cleaned up

Today's work paid off....lowers tacked in place

With the lower mounts tacked in place I can finally do a mockup of the rear suspension. I had to clearance a small part of the body mounts where the frame brackets mount and clean up the frame from the stock bracket carcasses. I'll clean it up completely later on but for now I just want to get it on all fours. I still have to *cleanly* take off the coil buckets...but I might just hastily cut them off and fab some new mounts from bent 10g sheet. I don't exactly like the factory mounting position anyway and I might have to cut into it to set it into the curve of the frame.
Unread 01-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #202
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I like the pacific customs because you can buy them individually. Gonna be making some sliders with side steps for a fellow jeeper ans want to dimple some plate to go on top of the step for a tread.

Unread 01-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #203
gtxracer

That's a good idea, I see that a lot. 1.5 and 1.0 are popular sizes and would probably work well for that application.
Unread 01-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #204
gtxracer

Pictures from the mockup, looks like 4" is easiest with a possible 5" if I trim the back of the link bridge. I'll trim it but I want to stick with a 4" rear stretch and take the rest out front. See for yourself...

**sorry for the crappy pics, the lighting isn't the best under the rig**

decent uptravel clearance

tank clearance looks good

I really like how these mounts came out

Unread 01-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #205
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job on the brackets.
Unread 01-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #206
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looking damn good. What are your plans for fenders?
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #207
gtxracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
Nice job on the brackets.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
Looking damn good. What are your plans for fenders?
Keeping the stock flat fenders for now. I have some ideas for tube fenders when I get a bender.
Unread 01-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #208
gtxracer

Arms From Dirt Fab came in...glad I ordered them versus building...saved me at least two days fab time

Cut out the final link tower

Cut the frame brackets for the front

I forgot to take pics of the tacked in Poly mounts on the frame brackets. I used the 10 degree mounts on the front since the arms were shorter and it has more triangulation than the rear for the lowers.

Here's everything mocked up. Again, sorry for the crappy pics

Link tower, lots of lines and cables in the way but they're easy to manage

No weight on the oil pan, just there as a safety precaution. And yes I know I dented it...lots of stumps up here.

set to 0 degrees, everything looks good

frame side of the mounts

The coil situation...think I'm just going to move it back 3 inches but I don't like the stock mount and most of it is getting cut off anyway. Might just make a quick mount from the leftover 3x3 box.

view from the front axle...10* brackets are perfect

Here's the track bar and steering clearances. This is a 3" stretch...not a problem. Make a track bar with a bend and run the stock steering or something like it - done. But I don't like how much the steering box hangs down so I'm probably going to rotate it up.

from the other side

View from the front axle...just what I want to see
Unread 01-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #209
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am eager to see your front stretch.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #210
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you can add one more lower adjustment in the front upper link tower you may thank yourself later.

But, since your lower links are tucked up better than mine. You may be fine.

Looks great.

You said you had the links made, can I ask how much each. Or do they have a price based on length?
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.