GTX's low rider TJ build - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > GTX's low rider TJ build

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #181
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEcrawlerTJ01 View Post
Atleast get an 03 and up skid
this
I ended up having to do the tank tuck mod twice due to how flimsy and quickly destroyed the early tj skids get.

It was 50 bucks well spent to pick up a 06 skid to modify, much beefier.

Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
The Things We Make, Make Us
bandit455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #182
gtxracer

I'll be getting that Warn locally...just gotta work out the details.
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #183
gtxracer

I got started on the TJ again today. I mainly wanted to finish the crossmember and start on a few smaller side projects I needed if I had time.

First I wanted to know the angle of the frame. For anyone else wondering, it's about 9-10 degrees.

There's a couple different ways to do it but that one helped justify my measurements. I clamped the frame mounts in place then measured between the two outside edges to get the two inner fishmouth distances. If this doesn't make sense let me know and I can explain it further.

Then I cut the first side. Came out rough...lost some of my touch while I was away. Second one came out cleaner (pictured)

It fit pretty well. The gaps aren't perfect but I also don't have a notcher. It still came out good.

Measured more and more and more and more to get a final piece. I'll leave it tacked for now in case I make any changes.

You can see the angle here:

I also experimented with getting the front UCA mount done...but it didn't come out too well. Oh well, good learning I guess!
Unread 12-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #184
gtxracer

Picked up the Warn skid, previous owner cut out part of it already to clear his diff. Coincidentally it's the same portion I would have cut out anyway. Crappy pic but whatever-

I drew out the UCA mounts for the rear truss

Cut em out then tacked them together. This is a tip I picked up from Pirate

Started grinding them down

Cleaned them up so they're all the same

Then started drilling holes. I used a 9/16" hole saw since I didn't have a bit. Looks like I'll be buying one anyway because it grenaded after the 2nd hole. Completely smoothed out the hole saw

But the first set came out nice
Unread 12-30-2011, 12:19 AM   #185
gtxracer

I have a fantastic girlfriend

Today I had some time to start on the "new" skid. I had to take off some material in order to maintain clearance with the diff and then add material for the bump. I really hope I get 4-5" with this mod or I'll have to stretch the front more than I wanted. Oh and I got the plasma working a little better.

It would be a LOT easier if I had another 2K to blow on this budget. So far I think I'm less than $1500 into this phase of the build and I don't see myself spending more than another $500 to be back on the trail.
Unread 12-30-2011, 05:06 AM   #186
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So what kind of problems are you having with the plasma? I bought a Simadre and it worked great right out of the box.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-little-yj-1127802/
nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 07:53 AM   #187
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I hear rumors of a 3" front stretch............

Some really nice work going on here. I really like those workbenches too.
Unread 12-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #188
gtxracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibstools View Post
So what kind of problems are you having with the plasma? I bought a Simadre and it worked great right out of the box.
Do you mean with operation or with Longevity? Longevity forgot to send me a small piece that is required to even strike an arc so I couldn't use it at first. That was my only beef with them but they sent me a new one quickly and got everything sorted out. They seem to be a good company and have good customer support but only time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
I hear rumors of a 3" front stretch............

Some really nice work going on here. I really like those workbenches too.
Thanks! I really like how the workbenches came out. Feel free to copy the design if you want. If you need dimensions or help let me know because I kept track of their build.

Yeah 2-3" stretch. I really don't want to move the steering box but I'll do it if I need to. It all depends on how much stretch I can get out of the rear. If I can get 4-5" I will only need 2-3" in the front. If I only get 3" out of the back....well, the front box will have to be moved.
Unread 12-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #189
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just realized I am watching the same thread on two forums.. Awesome work as usual, can't wait to see the stretch work.
Unread 12-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #190
gtxracer

Thanks TJRHD! The stretch work should be too far ahead. If I get the Jeep on it's own weight again it will be easier to work on the drivetrain. So, for now, that's the plan.

Finally got some real time in the shop. At first it didn't feel like much got done but I actually made good progress today. Tomorrow I'd like to at least get part of the suspension mounts fabbed and mocked up.

Front upper arm U

Gave it some go fast juice just for kicks

Finished the rear upper link mounts but didn't snap pics. I somehow made my one and only flapper disc explode...right after I got back from the tool store and forgot to pickup another. Doh!

Then I started on the upper link towers...two more to go

The height of the towers will depend on how much room I have under the Jeep. I did start mocking up the Poly lower mounts but I'm not sure if I like how they're supposed to be mounted.

I got the tank warmed up and ready to mold for the modified skid

After

I used a cheap Harbor Freight heat gun that my dad passed down to me. I think in total it took me 45 minutes to heat it up and mold it. About 20 minutes of that time I just had the gun pointed at the tank while I worked on something else. Overall it was pretty easy and straight forward. I used the stock skid to mold it since I'm still working on the Warn skid. I had to graft 4 pieces together in order to make it fit correctly. It's nearly done, just need to grind down the welds and make it smooth. I'll post some finished pics when I get it all cleaned up.
Unread 12-31-2011, 09:15 AM   #191
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Great work thus far!

Are those 35" tires? They look massive
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2011, 11:36 AM   #192
gtxracer

Thanks Angry! Yep, those are 35" Krawlers. They are nearly a true 35" tire as they measure just shy of 35" on a 15x8 rim at 30psi.
Unread 12-31-2011, 07:08 PM   #193
gtxracer

Drilled the holes for the other link tower

Metal shavings came out pretty cool. The one in front is about 8 inches long

Then I started burning in the UCA fork. My welds are getting better. One pass on the inside, on the actual bolt head. Two passes on the outside, the shank.

Then I added the bling and smoothed it out

Finally got the Warn skid "bump" the shape and size I needed. Not gonna grind down these welds, I just don't care about it. It will sit under my Jeep and I doubt anyone will ever see it. They don't look half bad anyway.

Giant hole that I gave the skid in case I go with a much bigger axle in the future. It's about an inch inside the tank strap cutouts for reference.

Tomorrow and monday I probably won't get much time on the Jeep but we'll see. Tuesday is game on and I will hopefully finish up the skid and get it welded together. Then I can test fit the tank and forget about it. Then 100% of my attention goes towards getting the 4 link mounts fabbed in the rear.
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #194
gtxracer

Not much to this, not even sure I'll paint it. There's no fancy over the top bling or even some type of technical basis for it. Cut and dry - it needs to hold my Handler 187 with bottle and my 40D plasma while keeping it all organized. I used whatever material I had that I knew I wouldn't want to use on my rig as it was thin wall. Lucky for me I had some square stock (2") that already had C channel welded to it so I used that for the upright supports. For the two base levels I had some slightly smaller tube (1.75") and for the horizontal supports I had small square (1"). A lot of this is rusty...which is why I said I may or may not paint it. If I do, I'll probably just throw on some rustoleum black.

Oh and I don't have castors yet. I have a few that are from a furniture dolly but I want some solid rubber wheels for the back.

The base

Cut out the vertical supports

Gave it an angle, 19* or 71* if using the opposite angle

Second level, notice the U on the back to hold the tank

Used a level and a right angle with the welding magnets and tacked them in place

Then welded the base levels completely and tacked on the top level. Then welded the entire structure together

Add this at the back of the top level to keep the welder in place

Then made this for the plasma to sit on. Still gotta add some edges to keep it in place but that's pretty easy to do.

I also made this little guy
Unread 01-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #195
gtxracer

Pulled the trigger on some steel arms. Scott at Dirt Fab hooked me up once again. Thanks Scott!!!

Got the tank enclosure done and fabbed. All the final welding on this project will be done at the end...hopefully when I have gas.

Nice and tight

Mocked up the JJs on the axle bridge. They hang off a little bit so I'll have to trim them up

Then I made some dimpled rear plates for them...not sure I like how they came out. We'll see if I use them or make new ones

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.