GTX's low rider TJ build - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > GTX's low rider TJ build

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 11-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #166
gtxracer

I opened my door this afternoon to find this on my doorstep. UPS guy didn't even ring my doorbell.

I had to download the instructions so I didn't get it hooked up today. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have it up and running. I started on my press brake today. Wish I would have known my plasma cutter was upstairs on my porch since I was doing nothing but cutting all morning.

Then I took the tank out of the skid and scraped all the gunk off of it. Wow.

Made some cuts to clear the pumpkin. 8.8 cover is only about 3" deep so there was no point in making it more than 4" clearance. Need to grind out the welds and redo it tomorrow.

gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #167
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Really? You're actually gonna re-use that piece of cardboard ****? I hope you're at least plating the bottom or something.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #168
IEcrawlerTJ01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
Really? You're actually gonna re-use that piece of cardboard ****? I hope you're at least plating the bottom or something.
Atleast get an 03 and up skid

Nuff said...[/CENTER]
IEcrawlerTJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #169
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

nice build, do you find that the mig is better for you? I too have the lincoln stick for now..
Unread 11-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #170
gtxracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Probably I have some 10g I can plate the bottom. I might raise it 1" and put some plastic on the bottom if I wanna get crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEcrawlerTJ01 View Post
Atleast get an 03 and up skid
Meh. Considering I'm probably going to have a fuel cell down the road I'm not going to put that much effort into it right now. If I find one for cheap I'll snag it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRHD View Post
nice build, do you find that the mig is better for you? I too have the lincoln stick for now..
Thanks, I like MIG a lot! Selling my Lincoln now, no need for it with this machine. I need the space and the cash could buy more steel.
Unread 11-02-2011, 05:06 AM   #171
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Keep us posted on that plasma. Been looking at one of their 3 in 1 units. Really want the plasma and TIG features!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-little-yj-1127802/
nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #172
gtxracer

So far it has not been a good experience. They forgot to include a crucial part to the torch.
Unread 11-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #173
gtxracer

This skid is trashed. I'm not going to try to salvage it, I'll just upgrade. A local guy, about 3.5 hrs away, has a warn skid for cheap but I don't wan to drive 7 hrs. We'll see if I can get it somehow.

My plasma cutter didn't come with a swirl ring...not too happy about that but they're saying they'll send me one tomorrow. I kept working anyway using cut off discs and finished my press brake. Works great!

Unread 11-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #174
gtxracer

I also made my cardboard mockups for the 8.8 truss and link mounts. Pinion is at 14 degrees, truss at 0. They will be boxed and dimpled. 1/4" for everything except the dimple stuff which is 10g. Welding the short side tube and truss is going to be tricky but I'm going to tie it into the sway bar mount.

Unread 11-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #175
gtxracer

Dropped 5lbs of dry ice in the tank for anyone that wants to get rid of the fumes and excess gas easily.

Got the motor mount lift installed, it's from Rough Country. Not a bad piece of machined aluminum, the finish was great, everything lined up well, and the instructions were well written. Very happy with these right now.

Started removing the stock brackets too. I hated these on my first jeep...and I hate them even more now that I smacked my hand with a hammer. Ouch.

I took a break, I have a game soon. Tomorrow I'll have a little time start the crossmember. With the MML in place, I have the np435 flat and there's a little more clearance. I'll check it tomorrow and make sure it will work. Crossmember will be ~1.75 square tube, .250 wall.
Unread 11-04-2011, 05:44 AM   #176
Redcrazzy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome work man, you look like you know what you're doing (even if you didn't I wouldn't be able to tell lol). Impressive to say the least. Keep at it
Redcrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #177
gtxracer

Thanks, I'm stalled right now because of longevity's screw up.
Unread 11-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #178
gtxracer

Got my swirl ring finally and couldn't resist putting it in the torch and making some test cuts. One thing led to another, the girlfriend had homework to do, which meant she was currently disabled from giving me....let's just call it "attention". Yeah, that's what we'll call it. So I dove into the deep end of plasma cutting utopia.

First up were the axle tube ends of the truss plate. Tried a hole saw but 20 minutes of holding down the drill press handles only to get 1/2 way through caused me to give up and focus on other things until today:

Marked it for the bends

Still needs some minor trimming and clean up but damn it came out good

Next up were the upper link towers for the stock brackets. Normally this would be easy, but East Coast Gear Supply has beefy brackets that are welded inside and out...I didn't even want to take these off, but they're in the way and I want a clean look. I think the track bar mount would have hit the tub before the links anyway.

Finally, after 15 minutes I got it off. If I had to use cutoff discs this would have taken forever as I don't have a sawzall right now.

other side was much easier, 5 minutes max

Ahhh, that's what I like to see!

Mocked up. Turned out pretty good, I'll have great separation but it's still high clearance. There's a 1/4" gap between the pumpkin and the link bridge. Looks like my design works well, I might have to market these. What do you guys think?

Unread 11-07-2011, 05:06 AM   #179
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good, who need a 4x4 shop???
Unread 11-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #180
gtxracer

Thanks TJRHD, I plan to do everything I can myself. I might start a small business to offer these small items for at home builders.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.