GTX's low rider TJ build - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > GTX's low rider TJ build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 10-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #151
gtxracer

Alright so I didn't get a whole lot done in terms of pictures but I've been making good progress on a couple different areas for the Jeep. A few things were time consuming and I had to be a decent boyfriend by coming out of the man cave for a day. I have a very understanding girlfriend that appreciates all the work going into this project.

I started off by welding the filler plate to the tube. I don't think I got enough penetration but it will work for this application. I'm still getting used to the mig and what it can do. Here's some pics, they're not pretty but I'm getting better.

Heat from the other side

Speaking of the 30, this thing is filthy and I finally cut off the stabilizer bracket. The factory track bar bracket will probably come off later.

gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #152
gtxracer

I can honestly say I hate putting this much time into an axle I know I will eventually replace but it's serving it's purpose right now and that's all that really matters. Getting it mostly cleaned up. Does anyone have some tips on getting rid of the crap on this thing in hard to reach places? I'm tired of using a wire wheel and am just painting this semi gloss black. No frills on this axle, it just needs to be strong and work until I build bigger.

I finally broke down and drilled then tapped the bellhousing. I have a plan for this and if the runout and alignment is good I'll run it. If I find a cheap t176/t150 bellhousing I'll buy it for a spare but I'm going to try to make this one work. Tapped to 7/16-24 IIRC

It lines up good, I was as precise as possible

I was able to make a small welding space on my workbench, 17"x24".

I finally ordered my cross member mount kit from Ruff Stuff and I'm glad I did - it's BEEF and he had the lowest shipping costs and even a discount. I will be ordering from Dan in the future. I also traded an old street scoop for a pair of 7/8" chromo Ruff Stuff heims.

I cut some frame plates from 1/4" plate, this stuff is coming in handy!

And tacked in

And took pics of the mounting dimension for the CPS since I'll have to retrofit it to the cj bellhousing

Unread 10-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #153
stonecrawler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just read thru this entire thread. Crawled, and Sub'd.
stonecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #154
gtxracer

Thanks stonecrawler I'll have an update soon!
Unread 10-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #155
gtxracer

Alright, I made good progress today although it won't look like it in the pics again. A lot of time was spent measuring and calculating different crossmember setups, link placement, link length, axle and frame separation, etc etc. Hopefully tomorrow I will have the crossmember cut and in place. In the morning I'll be going down to the steel supplier to find some c channel or box for the frame link mounts and upper control arm mounts. I still need to find the dom sleeve braces for the frame but that can wait.

I don't have a spool gun attachment for welding aluminum yet so I did the next best thing and filled the other bolt pattern on the bellhousing with set screws

Then I started mockup of where I want the drivetrain to sit. As you can see, it's much different than the ax15 and much taller too.

However, I was able to get it mostly flat. I will need a 1" motor mount lift, which I'm ordering tonight. I was gonna go with a JKS kit unless anyone has other suggestions.
Unread 10-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #156
gtxracer

Here it is tucked in the frame rails

And squeezed tight in the center of the tub

Obviously the shifter will have to be bent at an angle but I have a linkage setup in mind for down the road

If you were the dana 300 front output shaft, this is what you'd see. Also why I need a 1" MML

The d300 won't need to be clocked as of right now. Hopefully this will be all it needs.

One last shot from the other side. Airbag module will need to be relocated.

I marked the approximate locations of where my brackets will be based on how much stretch I want and where they would be if I were not stretching the wheelbase.

Unread 10-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #157
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

whoa that shifter is ALOT farther forward. Is it gonna clear the dash when shifting even with that bent arm?
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #158
gtxracer

Yeah it's VERY tall and forward. It should clear, if not, I can cut away some of the dash. I already took off the lower vent so I'll be redirecting and shifting the lower part of the dash.

I ordered a Rough Country 1" MML last night from Poly Performance, hope it gets here soon. I also ordered a Longevity 40a pilot arc plasma cutter a few minutes ago with consumables and their drag tip. I have a guy bending some 1.75 .120 wall tube for a project that will be my first home made tool. It will be a backburner project but it will be used quite a bit if it comes out correctly.
Unread 10-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #159
gtxracer

Today was a slower day since I had other stuff on my plate. I ordered a Longevity 40amp Pilot Arc plasma cutter this morning though, should be here in 5-7 days. I'm pretty stoked!

Got the CPS cutout marked

and cut

I cleaned up the shop, vacuumed all the grinding dust and crap off the floor, moved everything out of the way and prepped the jeep for complete teardown. Everything is coming out in the next 7 days or so. I need to get the front axle sold and out of the shop, the ax15 should be gone saturday.

Welded the inside of the LCA mounts on the hp30. I wanted the extra strength there. I might plate them too, we'll see. My welds are getting better:

Unread 10-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #160
gtxracer

So I worked in the shop for 6 hours today and got the Jeep and garage prepped for complete teardown. The front is completely stripped and the jeep is fully on jackstands now. Had a scary moment when the jeep wasn't balanced well and I didn't have enough stands. I'll be picking up some 3 ton stands from HF soon since they're $20.

RCVs are doing well

clump of dirt in the LCA mount

Keeping track of everything

I spent wayyy too long getting off the last lock nut on the wheels/tires. Had to weld a nut to it.
Unread 10-30-2011, 10:11 PM   #161
gtxracer

Updated my link calculators to reflect more realistic data and measurements. Needs a little more tweaking but it doesn't look bad.

pulled the 8.8

Got another set of jackstands my tires/wheels under the jeep for more peace of mind.

Then I released any pressure in the fuel system and started pulling the tank

But I broke this little Y...need to get another one

That's pretty much it for tonight. I didn't have much time but got a lot done. I can start cutting and modifying my tank as soon as I get it emptied, it still has about a gallon of gas in it. Anyone have tricks on how to get that last gallon out? A lot more work will get done as soon as the plasma is here. Hopefully I can get the drivetrain hung (when my mml gets here) and hopefully have the suspension tacked in place before I leave for 5 weeks for work. I think I'm about 1/2 way through this build and the last 1/2 will be all technical time consuming stuff.
Unread 10-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #162
mallard15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Those supsension numbers look pretty good. Little adjustment to get a better roll axis but AS looks great! Keep it up. Can't wait to see it finished.

Yukon 4.10 R&P Gears Set (300$) PM me
mallard15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 04:06 PM   #163
gtxracer

Thanks mallard. The AS should be more adjustable if I can stuff more separation in there. Not sure if I'll be able to get more roll axis or not. Still a good setup.
Unread 10-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #164
mallard15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
Thanks mallard. The AS should be more adjustable if I can stuff more separation in there. Not sure if I'll be able to get more roll axis or not. Still a good setup.
Oh yea it still has great numbers. A lot better than mine

Yukon 4.10 R&P Gears Set (300$) PM me
mallard15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #165
gtxracer

Haha yeah it's hard to get this much out of a suspension in the first place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.