G's LJ Build (It's not the devil I swear) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > G's LJ Build (It's not the devil I swear)

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #91
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
Mine bolted right up. What is hitting?
I wish I could tell. It just isn't fitting. My new theory is that it is somethign with the steering shaft. Couldn't fight it for too long last night since I was on full time dad duty for most of the night. Hopefully will report back this weekend with some pics of it out of the garage.

g-rocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #92
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Can't wait to see the install. I'll be curious about the performance. Something that I've always wanted.
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #93
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkLaHoMaTJ View Post
Can't wait to see the install. I'll be curious about the performance. Something that I've always wanted.
You and me both buddy.
Unread 10-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #94
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

PSC Hydro Assist with Currie/Savvy Steering and Rokmen Hi-Lines

It is finished...at least for the most part. I broke one of the bolts on the steering gear mount that I still need to pull out and source a new bolt but other than that it all seems good to go. It looks like everything is clearing and I fixed up a leak yesterday. Need to check when I get home tonight to see if there are any others. Here are some pics brief notes on the process:

Laid everything out in a manner that made sense to me (that soon became chaos and didn't matter anymore once tools made their way out of their locations but it was a good idea ).

Found a problem really quickly with the PSC kit. The output fitting wouldn't thread all the way into the reservoir. Called PSC and they sent me out a new one.

Mike started ripping off the rest of the old parts while I attacked modifying the 1.5" x 6" bore cylinder from PSC. For this I needed to cut down the post and female fitting and also cut down the male fitting so that everything cleared inside of the BMB mounts.

Then we worked on getting everything mocked up and fit into the Jeep. The PSC reservoir mounts worked really well with the Rokmen Hi-Lines but needed to be slightly modified. We needed to take one of the mounts and put a 33* bend in it to keep the reservoir vertical. Mike took it to his shop and put a perfect bend in it.

Then started making all of the lines and finishing the BMB mounts

Note that the drag link needs to be ground down to be round before the mount will fit on it.

After installing all the lines and fighting the steering gear for at least 4 hours brute force installed it. I will say that a body lift would have easily made it clear the grill but without it we had to cut about an inch up into the grill.

Then it was finally time to add fluid and bleed the system

A little over five bottles of Royal purple later we took it out for a quick test drive at 11:00 on Friday night.

Drove it over to Mikes shop to fork it and found a leak but I just used some thread sealer on the fitting and cranked it down as far as possible (I think I created threads in the reservoir to make that fitting go all the way in).

I over estimated the amount of hose I would need on the cylinder to the box and I need to come up with a way to hide that so it doesn't get in the way and replace that last bolt in the steering gear like I said above but other than that I think it is ready hit the trail.

Thanks Mike for all of your help.
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #95
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good man, still seems like adding H-A is a pain in the *** though! Why can't you just weld some tabs to the drag link for the ram instead of using that BMB bracket? Also you didn't mention your first impression of driving it on the street. I'm very curious how it felt right out of the box. Nice job on it and congrats!
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #96
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Glad you guys got it all figured out. Can't wait to hear the first trail report.

I will admit when I finally get hydro assist I won't be trying to install that bad boy on my own. Seems a bit difficult for my skill level.
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #97
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Did you paint your tailgate hinges and latches with rattle can or are they powdercoated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #98
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-rocc View Post
I over estimated the amount of hose I would need on the cylinder to the box and I need to come up with a way to hide that so it doesn't get in the way
I know you don't want to, but remove the end, cut the hose to the proper length, and re-do the end. You will regret it later if you cut a hose on a tough trail because you had too much hose and it got into the balancer or something. Make sure the lines are routed as best they can be and fixed so they can't rub or get pinched anywhere.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #99
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Looks good man, still seems like adding H-A is a pain in the *** though! Why can't you just weld some tabs to the drag link for the ram instead of using that BMB bracket? Also you didn't mention your first impression of driving it on the street. I'm very curious how it felt right out of the box. Nice job on it and congrats!
It is really easy to turn that wheel around now. It centers really well but once you turn out of center it turns. It does take a little getting used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
Glad you guys got it all figured out. Can't wait to hear the first trail report.

I will admit when I finally get hydro assist I won't be trying to install that bad boy on my own. Seems a bit difficult for my skill level.
I'm excited to get it out in the rocks as well. I feel like you could probably do it yourself but check fitment of everything prior to digging into the install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
I know you don't want to, but remove the end, cut the hose to the proper length, and re-do the end. You will regret it later if you cut a hose on a tough trail because you had too much hose and it got into the balancer or something. Make sure the lines are routed as best they can be and fixed so they can't rub or get pinched anywhere.
Do you think it would be possible to clamp off hoses to make sure they don't puke out all of the fluid or would that damage the hoses?
Unread 10-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #100
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Looks good man, still seems like adding H-A is a pain in the *** though! Why can't you just weld some tabs to the drag link for the ram instead of using that BMB bracket?
It is a pain but some of it was self inflicted. We could have welded the tabs...but we both felt more comfortable using the bracket, the thing is beefy and we can always throw a bead onto it if it ever starts to move. Also, it's a setup blaine uses so we are pretty confident it will work just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post

I wouldn't consider our skills any different than yours, with an extra set of hands I think you'd be fine. Just know that it takes time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
Did you paint your tailgate hinges and latches with rattle can or are they powdercoated?
He had a local buddy powder coated them black.

Quote:

Do you think it would be possible to clamp off hoses to make sure they don't puke out all of the fluid or would that damage the hoses?
I think that's a great idea, at least worth a try.
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #101
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
I think that's a great idea, at least worth a try.
I wouldn't but I don't know if it will actually hurt the hose or not. It might crush/crease the wire inside the hose and not really seal off very well anyway.

Do you still have the caps that come on the cylinder? Pull hose lose from box and cap the box quickly. Catch what comes out in a clean container and you can add it back in if you want to save the new fluid.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #102
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Mike, thanks for answering the questions I missed. To add to the welding on the drag link. The Currie drag link is heat treated and adding more heat to the part will weaken the part. When we were fighting it that idea came up but I think the bracket is a much better solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
I wouldn't but I don't know if it will actually hurt the hose or not. It might crush/crease the wire inside the hose and not really seal off very well anyway.

Do you still have the caps that come on the cylinder? Pull hose lose from box and cap the box quickly. Catch what comes out in a clean container and you can add it back in if you want to save the new fluid.
I do still have the caps. How much extra hose do you recommend (ex., straight to the box from the cylinder plus xx in.)
Unread 10-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #103
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I do still have the caps. How much extra hose do you recommend (ex., straight to the box from the cylinder plus xx in.)
It really just comes down to routing. You want them long enough that it can be routed out of harms way and doesn't come into contact with moving parts at any point in the suspension travel. You don't want them to pull tight when the suspension droops, but you don't want so much that you have to bunch it up somewhere.

Before you modify what you have, play with routing and see if you can't take care of it before shortening the hose. From the pics it looks like your one line is a little long causing it to loop up towards the harmonic balancer.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 10-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #104
84jeepcj7rock

I recommend using a clamp as they did. It makes adjusting your toe a lot easier, centering your steering wheel and if u need to adjust turning radius. When you start to wheel it, You may find it turns a little farther one way than the other.
I would not clamp the hose. You may damage the inner core which could cause it to burst under high pressure.
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #105
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Fresh off if tooling this new set of wrenches found their way into my box. It's a new product for us any thoughts? I wish they would have came in about a week ago they would have came in handy for this install. Should be available for purchase by summer.
image-162924588.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.