G's LJ Build (It's not the devil I swear) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > G's LJ Build (It's not the devil I swear)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 09-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

G's LJ Build (It's not the devil I swear)

I've deciding to move my build thread from another forum to this one. Decided to because of a lack of comments, posts and info. After seeing the threads from gspup and Imped I realized that I wasn't getting nearly as much feedback so I moved it here.

First few posts are going to be to get everyone up to speed. This is my second Jeep. Jeep number one was a 2001 TJ Sport and stayed bone stock for the entire time I had it. I then started to look for an LJ Rubicon and found this beauty (It's not the devil, I swear).

Here are a couple of pics stock:

Had a buddy draw up some plans then immediately took it to 4 Wheel Parts and built what I thought was the best Jeep I could build. Here is a list of mods from that trip:
RE 5.5" long arm lift kit
Bilstein Shocks
35" tires
Rear drive shaft
Smittybilt spare tire carrier
Smittybilt tube sliders
Custom exhaust

Pics from stage 1:

g-rocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Call me ignorant but at this point I thought my Jeep was about as good as it could it then I met the guys from Rokmen on a trail and everything changed. I saw The Freak on 42s scale a vertical rock wall and I said I want that. So here is my stage two. Rid myself of all things Smittybilt and beef up with some Rokmen stuff.
The day it changed (notice the Freak in the backgroung)

Rokmen Mercenary GT and Currie Antirock

Superwinch Talon

Rokmen Sliders

Rockmen Rear Bumper

Currie HD Steering
Unread 09-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Stage 3-37s beef up the axles and armor
This was where the Jeep really started to change. Here are a list of the mods and some pics:
TWF dual beadlocks & 37 BFG Baja T/As

RCV Shafts

Superior Evo chromo shafts in the rear

Surperior 5:13 gears

Riddler Diff covers

Rokmen Hi-lines-Big thanks to Mike for his awesome TIG skills

Rokmen aluminum full corners and strykers

Rokmen aluminum drop down tailgate
Unread 09-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

So that's where she stands now, if you want to go back and read the full version here is the link http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/g-ro...ld-143499.html

Here are a few pics from wheeling this summer:

Last edited by g-rocc; 09-02-2013 at 10:58 PM..
Unread 09-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

What's next?

Immediate to-do's on the list:
Custom cage. Tube is getting ordered shortly. I would really like to have some input on design, tips for construction and some suggestions. Here are some concept drawings:

The real big question I have is how to integrate a module spare tire rack into the cage. I don't need it there all of the time and can be something that just goes on when the top is off. I was thinking of using OD tube clamps with the hex heads that can come off with a few spins of the bolts. Shown with the green lines. Not sold on the idea yet but it's all I have right now.

Other things on the immediate list:
Seats
Line-x or maybe Monstaliner I just don't want to realize that I should have done the Line-x once I spend the time on doing the Monstaliner so deciding on that still...
Shorter springs (I have some RK 4" springs in my garage)
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

First of all, great looking LJ on 37s. Looks a bit tall but you said you were lowering it. I like lower LJs (see built link below). I really like the white on black too and the amount of black..... Now that all that is said.

Look at the cage design rokmen did for the other freaks. They did one really nice tire carrier that I liked with tube clamb and it was offset to one side with the tire standing up. Looked easy to remove while givin you good room in the cargo area. Cage looks good in profile but I would only use straight bars on the top and go for mor triangulation. This is something that I think rokmen could improve on... But I don't do this of a living like they so...

Is this your dd? Do you get a lot o debris getting kicked up while driving?
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yo G. Glad you finally moved over here. I should have the tube ordered by today or tomorrow.

Had a good laugh about the title of your thread too.

Also there is a great cage thread on this forum somewhere.
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/o...thread-128237/
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
First of all, great looking LJ on 37s. Looks a bit tall but you said you were lowering it. I like lower LJs (see built link below). I really like the white on black too and the amount of black..... Now that all that is said.

Look at the cage design rokmen did for the other freaks. They did one really nice tire carrier that I liked with tube clamb and it was offset to one side with the tire standing up. Looked easy to remove while givin you good room in the cargo area. Cage looks good in profile but I would only use straight bars on the top and go for mor triangulation. This is something that I think rokmen could improve on... But I don't do this of a living like they so...

Is this your dd? Do you get a lot o debris getting kicked up while driving?
Thanks for the compliments. The side mounted spare is awesome but it doesn't allow you to have your back seat which is a requirement for me but this where I got the OD tube clamp idea just was thinking of relocating that cross member to the back. I just don't know if that is strong enough to hold a huge tire. Might just have to trial and error it.

The bent tube on the top are for the speaker pods (actually grabbed that from the guys at Rokmen).

Not having those flares is a lot different especially in the rain. All water that gets kicked up comes directly into the Jeep. This isn't my 'daily driver' but it does need to get me around town a day or two a week.

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I'm going to snag some ideas from that for sure.
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #10
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Really sharp rig! I met up with the Rokmen guys at the very early stages of my build too- amazing how bad of an influence they can be .
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome rig. I like all of the Rokmen goodies. Looking forward to seeing the cage build!
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-rocc View Post
Thanks for the compliments. The side mounted spare is awesome but it doesn't allow you to have your back seat which is a requirement for me but this where I got the OD tube clamp idea just was thinking of relocating that cross member to the back. I just don't know if that is strong enough to hold a huge tire. Might just have to trial and error it.

The bent tube on the top are for the speaker pods (actually grabbed that from the guys at Rokmen).

Not having those flares is a lot different especially in the rain. All water that gets kicked up comes directly into the Jeep. This isn't my 'daily driver' but it does need to get me around town a day or two a week.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to snag some ideas from that for sure.
Yeah. Rokmen is the only ones I have seen do the curved part by the speakers. I just would relocate all the speakers instead of doing that. Safety over sound right? I must have missed the part about the rear seat. I am not a believer in those, haha. I had about 10" of tires sticking out each side over each axle and I loved it until I drove thru rain.... I still like it but understand the need for coverage better now.
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #13
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah. Rokmen is the only ones I have seen do the curved part by the speakers. I just would relocate all the speakers instead of doing that. Safety over sound right? I must have missed the part about the rear seat. I am not a believer in those, haha. I had about 10" of tires sticking out each side over each axle and I loved it until I drove thru rain.... I still like it but understand the need for coverage better now.
You missed the back seat because I didn't say anything about it. Safety is absolutely number 1 over sound especially with the boy as my cargo. Suggestions on speaker re-location?
Unread 09-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I knew Ive seen your build somewhere before. I'll check in on this one. Love all your pics from IG
_KONG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #15
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-rocc View Post
You missed the back seat because I didn't say anything about it. Safety is absolutely number 1 over sound especially with the boy as my cargo. Suggestions on speaker re-location?
haha. You can flip them forward which is what I will do when that time comes. You switch them left to right and have them mount off the same bar but forward instead of backward. Hope that makes since.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.