"Ground Down".a 99XJ from Skyscraper to Lcog - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Ground Down".a 99XJ from Skyscraper to Lcog

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

"Ground Down".a 99XJ from Skyscraper to Lcog

Hi names Oliver...i have another thread on here but i was going in a different direction when i started it(sorry to have wasted anyones time)...but it lead me in a different direction....so a little history first...got "my" first jeep about 9yrs ago when the "wifes" jeep a '93 cherokee country edition started smoking and she "refused" to drive it anymore..."I will not be seen in that" and i quote "P.O.S."...so she got a volve and....i well got the jeep...it started out with a rubicon superflex 4"lift and 29" tsl's and off i went to the woods...YEE-HA..about 3 weeks later+an eighteen pack of busch and i put the front axle under the front doors...and its all uphill from there.....10 cherokee's later and here i am...so heres 1 yes just 1 pic of what im starting with

...what i expect form you guys..."the jeep community"...is "Feedback"...now you got to understand that beside about $1000(to upgrade to 4:56:1 gears with spool in rear and open carrier(new)front) im only 2weeks from this truck being fully functional....so this is where yall come in...first i will spit out a list of materials for the build(not parts but materials)...then a long winded explanation of my plans for the build...should the vast majority agree and if i can pull it off i will actually lose about 15" or so of lift...so here goes

so the image has appeared in my head now..

so heres what i think i will need...
200' or so 1.75dia tubing mostly .125 wall and a little .250 wall..for caging and links...........................$200+-
60' or so 1.0"dia x .1875 wall tubing(shdule 40)...for edging for flat fenders,grab bars, gusseting etc......$50+-
2 sheets 4'x8' 16 guage flat metal............................................. .................................................$ ?????
2 sticks 2"x4"x3/16" square tubing............................................ .................................................. $70+-
3 10lb spools .035 wire.............................................. .................................................. .............$150
8 poly joint ends.............................................. .................................................. ......................$104
three gallons monsterliner some funky color............................................. ......................................$400
2 front 60s(will lock some time)............................................. .................................................. ...$1800
1 swizzle stick hydro controller........................................ .................................................. ..........$250?
2 6" x1.5bore hydro rams.............................................. .................................................. ............$200
1 hydro-assist kit............................................... .................................................. ......................$???
cut off whells grinding discs and sanding pads.............................................. ..................................$100
beer enuff to see the project thru priceless
total less the axles............................................. ...................................$1350+-

still got to finish finding out how to get intouch with D.D machine for the 231 doubler kit...

ok that be the list..next comes well you will se...lol

Just so i can get some feed back heres my "un-genius" idea....this is going to be a little long winded so bear with me....
1): strip down to bare shell(completely bare)...luckily my shell is 100%rust free(so far)...
2): start cutting...beginning with the unibody "frame" sections from firewall forwards to core support and just from where it starts to turn upwards in rear all the way to hatch...
3): cut rear fenders jut to the horizontal body line as well as inner fenders and rear tub.....cut front fenders to horizontal body line and remove 90% of front inner fenders..
4):.now the frame work begins...build new complete frame then notch bottom out of frame section thats still left on body..set body back on frame...determine if for c/a clearance if a "body drop" is needed to keep c/a's up and out of harms way(this will make more sense once i start the cutting and take some pics)....
5): determine axle placement and fab in mount tabs and mock up links(do a travel test)..then fab up coilover mounts..or nitroger/air shocks still haven decided yet
6): once i have the suspension worked out and know exactly where the travel stops i can retub the rear and the front inner fenders
7): cage time full exo with inner crossover tubes fully tied into frame(actual body becomes just a skin)....basicly a buggy with a jeep body in the middle
8)start reassembly...drop motor and trans combo 2 inches (the new trans crossmember will be a torsion plate style mount that bolts around where t-case splits )
9):now it gets a little fuzzy..just buttoning up the 9 million details
10): oh yeah i almost forgot the most difficult part..the tapering of the front and rear body

so from the stand point of building a "true" lcog cherokee does it sound like i have a good idea as where to start..oh and im starting the build with 40x18.5 x15 boggers a d60 rear and hp d44(both fullsize)..medium size tire i guess...please please please...give me some feedback

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

oh yea just for kicks those tires in the pic measure out to just over 44"tall and before i cut her up i wanna know how the jeep community feels

Unread 10-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
twiisted71

Are you planning on moving the headlights inward and moving the front axle forward to clear the leading door edge? Will you just make the rear doors non functional and incorporate them into the wheelwell opening? I'm making my Jeep as low as I can with 37s without having to go into elaborate measures. I think 37s are pretty easy to do that with but I admit I'd love to have gotten a set of 38" military tires and really tucked them. 44s will be very cool tucked-get after it!
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so im not sure how this thread is even still alive....I thought I had deleted it..lol...the xj ended up as a body swap on a 79 bronco frame then got sold I took most of its components and put them on a 71 DJ5...check out its thread.."Special Delivery"....oh n thanks on your coment

Unread 10-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
twiisted71

LOL I didn't even look at the date. You posted in my thread about using the Ford radius arms too so I was looking for your build thread and found this one!

Small world but I have kin in Tupelo!
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.