The Great Jeep Project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Great Jeep Project

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 11-24-2009, 01:25 AM   #1
Rifle

The Great Jeep Project

Hi all!

First...I'm new here, so hi to everyone!

Second...I noticed that there's a lot of experience here...I hope to glean some of that.

I recently came into possession of a 1995 yj for the deal of the century...free! I'm elated! I am new to the forums, but not to jeeps. Although I haven't had one for close to 20 years. My first jeep was a Willy's 48/49 cj. Man, I miss that one.

The wife and I took the yj, which is pure stock, btw, out for a drive in the snow. It was a good trip, but I quickly realized that the yj needs some work....of course. new tires, a lift and so on.

The major down side is that the engine is the stock 2.5 litre. (insert sad face here). However, again, for free...I'm not complaining one bit. And who knows, the Great Jeep Project may have a new engine in the future!

So...this is where I need advice....with such a task a head, where do I start? Lift? Suspension?

Like I mentioned...it's stock. NOTHING is or has been upgraded.

Probable the first thing I will be doing is getting her in the air a bit. I will be doing a shackle lift, probably this weekend. The shackles that are on it now are the stock, 5" C-C shackles. I'm making my own and giving it another 2" on that, making them 7" C-C. I'm a machinist, so making them is easy for me.

I intend the jeep to be a weekend driver in the hills, off-road with some occasional technical stuff. No major rock crawling, but some mud, snow and such.

So, what do you figure the priorities should be? Anyone have maybe a list of "things to do" for building a decent off-roader?

Thanks in advance for the help.

See you on the trails!

Rifle

Last edited by Rifle; 12-11-2009 at 11:42 PM..
Rifle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
jamespeter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I learned the hard way!! The absolute first thing i would do is start looking or an explorer 8.8 rear axle. You can ask anybody that d35 is worthless! Trust me I grenaded the gears in mine 3 times before I learned. If you plan to run 33s or bigger its gonna crap out on you no matter how carefull you are.
jamespeter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am pretty sure people are going to tell you dont do a 3" lift shackle. It is dangerous, if you want a cheap lift go with Rough Country you can buy a 2.5in lift for 400 or a 4in lift for the same price. If you watch roughcountry.com everyday til christmas they normally have very good sales and could possibly and probably can get the lift for i think 300. Its better to do it right the first time them wrong. With the 4in kit, you can fit 33in tires if you want a little more room for flex you can get a pair of tj flares. The 2.5 kit can fit 31s or sometimes 32s with the flares or body lift.

If you do go with the 33s I would suggest regearing your axles since you have the 4 cylinder, it can be done but WILL be slow. haha Also, right now would be the best time to get the 8.8 axles, with the cash for clunkers there are a lot of them out there, you dont need it with 33s or smaller but its helpfull. Hope it helps.
Unread 12-12-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxnyj18 View Post
I am pretty sure people are going to tell you dont do a 3" lift shackle. It is dangerous, if you want a cheap lift go with Rough Country you can buy a 2.5in lift for 400 or a 4in lift for the same price. If you watch roughcountry.com everyday til christmas they normally have very good sales and could possibly and probably can get the lift for i think 300. Its better to do it right the first time them wrong. With the 4in kit, you can fit 33in tires if you want a little more room for flex you can get a pair of tj flares. The 2.5 kit can fit 31s or sometimes 32s with the flares or body lift.

If you do go with the 33s I would suggest regearing your axles since you have the 4 cylinder, it can be done but WILL be slow. haha Also, right now would be the best time to get the 8.8 axles, with the cash for clunkers there are a lot of them out there, you dont need it with 33s or smaller but its helpfull. Hope it helps.
Actually, I don't plan on a 3" inch lift, just a 1" or 2". What about those? What have you heard?
Rifle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.