Graduated..now what? TJ W/a stroker build..ish.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Graduated..now what? TJ W/a stroker build..ish..

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Current pics (I'll try to keep these up to date):

...I know my finger's in that pic..but I had to block the sun

EDIT: current list as of March, in hopes of completion by Jeep beach '14

No particular order...

1. Clutch/flywheel-Ordering Luk Gold soon

2. Deal with frame rust (inside frame)-have Eastwood internal frame coating

3. Rear TB bushings-have poly replacements

4. Rear Currie Lower CAs -just need one more jj & some hardware

5. De-rust everything-have paint & sanding stuff

6. Sliders/Rocker guards-need to decide &.purchase (Dictating funds)

7. Fix my botched dash color redo- have everything...just need to do it in.the right weather

8. Get the Beetle seat brackets made up & seats in

9. Clean clockspring & hope that fixes the horn

10. Normal maintenance (oil change, grease, tire rotation etc.)

11. Get the jk springs & shocks in, & bumps set all the way around-have everything but:
-jounce cups (front)
-jounce bumpers F & R
-oem.spring isolator

12. Fix soft top bow strap-need rivet gun or use self drilling screws

13. Paint rear flares-have paint & everything

14. Exhaust manifold-have everything, need to finish prepping new/used manifold

15. Aimsoil dry filter & outer wears prefilter

Hopeful list that'd be nice to get done...but less likely:

16. A to Z or KOZ front cage addition*

17. Steering box skid*

18. Engine skid*

19. Fix AIR CONDITIONING*

20. Tt**

21. Full corners**

^^^ *is more likely...ish
**not as likely

I will try to get this in some type of order. I had a thread before, but deleted it...

I just graduated from college and want to document the Jeep's progress again.

First, I got the Jeep in high school...after a tree had fallen on it and the PO started to fix it...sort of. It had bits of a lift on it...

It had a 2.5L with 154k+ miles (poorly maintained) on it with a 30rh auto in it.

Long story short, after a few years of work + a long drawn out issue with a shop it got back on the road with a 4.6L and an ax15 with an 8.8 out back.

up to date..ish pics:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Current mods:
-4.6L/ax15/SYE/8.8 with lsd
-B&M short shifter
-Daystar 1"BL
-Banks exhaust
-Currie rear upper CAs
-31" KM2's
-Bikini Top
-Safari Top
-LED Tail lights
-H4 headlights (bosch housings, silverstar bulbs, upgraded harness)
-back to all stock suspension
-monstaliner interior
-JK seats (back to stock now)
...probably more

Future mods:
-Trektop or rampage top-DONE...ish Rampage top bought & on....as of November '12, back to an Oem top.
-2.5"OME coils REVISION: maybe going with 1" H&R springs or Jk springs/shocks
-Bilstein 5100
-MC trackbar to replace the JKS-DONE & installed using bb spacers up front, axle is centered

-Currie rear lowers (have now, but need JJ ends for them)
-Currie Anti-rock
-Fix A/C
-Replace Exhaust Manifold (purchased, need to install)
-Move intake to cowl (have most parts, need 98+cowl and scoop)-DONE
-Cage
-Better Seats
-Engine Skid
-TT
-Steering box skid
-Rocker guards
-4.56's W/Selectable Lockers F/R
-33x10.50s
-Corner armor

pics:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

My overall plan for my Jeep is 2.5" lift, 33x10.50's, tt, corner armor/rocker guards, locked with 4.56's...I want it to be conservative, but well built and think armored up and locked on 33's will suit me needs very well

jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Those pics are a little out of order...more pics coming

Painted the dash when I had it out to replace the heater core and evaporator..

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

More up to date pics shortly
Unread 07-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The main priorities right now are:

-Suspension
-A/C

...I sold my tan RAT in October b/c it was getting worn out...I got the lady's top when I sold her mine. Her top was sailcloth top with massive rips in the top, no rear window and awful side windows...I used it for a while after a roll of tape...but it's since gotten way too worn out and my patience is getting worn thin considering I haven't had a closed up Jeep since October...I love an open Jeep, but sometimes it's nice not having the rain and noise come in...
Unread 07-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I apparently did not delete the old thread yet...I will transfer some of it over then delete it

Sent by a messenger bird
Unread 07-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

.... this rain is putting me very close to ordering a rampage frameless top...
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just gave in & ordered a Spice Rampage top & am picking it up from 4wp tomorrow...pics to follow one installed

Sent by a messenger bird
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I got the top, I need to adjust some things better (when the rain holds off for a bit). So far, I am really happy with it

Sent by a messenger bird
Unread 09-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Update..ish

I've been pm'd a few times now about how my painted dash is holding up. I'll post a few pics...overall it's holding up well. I originally had a black and tan combo..then went to a mostly tan combo...but I will be switching to an all black combo soon b/c the tan is duplicolor and the black is SEM & the SEM seems to hold up better (places like door panels).

The duplicolor does hold up well, I just think I'll prefer the simplicity of the all black and how the SEM will wear over time...I plan on this being the last time for a long while when I do it. I will also be throwing a matte or satin clear coat on this time. I probably won't add anything to the grab handle on the dash b/c it's painted with the black SEM stuff and it's holding up very well and it had no issues drying...I don't want to mess with it.

I should mention...the slight wear on the door panel is from the fact that the door panels were done in a rush before I was taking the Jeep back to school and I probably didn't prep as well as the dash...or I just didn't get enough coats on them

Anyway here are a few pics, better ones soon:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 09-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I forgot the other part....I got my MetalCloak trackbar on up front. I'd been running a JKS front TB that hit the diff a lot. The Jeep had a lift at one point and was back to stock, except 3/4" spacers up front.

I took out the 3/4" spacers, put in the 2" BB spacers up front, which work out to 1.5" or something without the factory rubber piece...I think. Anyways, the Jeep actually sits much more level now and the front TB doesn't hit. Here are some pics, you can see how much the old TB would hit the diff, by how much paint is rubbed off the diff cover

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its coming along nice.
What you running for a pinion angle for the 8.8?...any pics of it?

And how many cans of SEM paint did you end up using to do the color change?

I'm looking for bent, twisted, broken axle shafts inners and outers, output shafts, etc...Please let me know if you have anything.
IceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceKnight View Post
Its coming along nice.
What you running for a pinion angle for the 8.8?...any pics of it?

And how many cans of SEM paint did you end up using to do the color change?
Thanks. As far as pinion angle, I'll get pics tomorrow...I work until 10 tonight. I.just eye balled it when setting it up.

I honestly don't know how many cans I used all together...probably at least 4. I'll keep track of it when I switch to black this next time. I really like the tan, but the SEM just holds up better

Sent by a messenger bird
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

That would be great.

I have been thinking about painting my dash seeing as how everything is completely apart. I currently have a grey/black interior but was thinking about going all black. I might just start with giving the dash a good washing and seeing how it looks.

I noticed you are thinking of moving your intake into the cowl area. I have been thinking of doing the same (no more room because of fenders for the stock box) but I keep coming back to trying to figure out how people keep water from getting in there. Looking at for example the Spectre setup, the intake track is even at a downward angle toward the motor.

I'm looking for bent, twisted, broken axle shafts inners and outers, output shafts, etc...Please let me know if you have anything.
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That would be great.

I have been thinking about painting my dash seeing as how everything is completely apart. I currently have a grey/black interior but was thinking about going all black. I might just start with giving the dash a good washing and seeing how it looks.

I noticed you are thinking of moving your intake into the cowl area. I have been thinking of doing the same (no more room because of fenders for the stock box) but I keep coming back to trying to figure out how people keep water from getting in there. Looking at for example the Spectre setup, the intake track is even at a downward angle toward the motor.
I'm still working on the intake thing too. Some water in there will be ok, but I have the 3 panel cowl on my 97. I think what I'll be doing is getting a scoop & adding a small shield (on the main vent side) to block water from hitting the filter, & blocking off one or both of the extra vents, just leaving the center vent open with the scoop over it.

If I'm not happy with that setup, I'll switch to a paper filter & airbox under hood, but still pulling through the cowl.

...as I typed this post it started pouring here...exactly why I have to figure this out right the first time, I don't want to hydro lock anywhere...including just driving in the rain

Getting enough water in the engine last time to stall & having to pull the plugs was something I don't want to deal with again

Sent by a messenger bird
Unread 09-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #14
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

At first I was thinking of doing a scoop as well, but having the snow we do up here I'm not to sure that would work to well. Things get so packed up around the bottom of my windshield during storms. I'm just going to have to get out there and mess around with it until something works and fits.

Yeah water in the motor is never a good thing. You got away lucky if you could just pull the plugs and let it dry out. I unfortunately have been part of a few motor destroying events because of water.

Unread 09-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #15
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
At first I was thinking of doing a scoop as well, but having the snow we do up here I'm not to sure that would work to well. Things get so packed up around the bottom of my windshield during storms. I'm just going to have to get out there and mess around with it until something works and fits.

Yeah water in the motor is never a good thing. You got away lucky if you could just pull the plugs and let it dry out. I unfortunately have been part of a few motor destroying events because of water.
Yeah...I was lucky, I pulled the plugs on the trail when it stalled & used the starter to push out any water. Only 2 plugs were visibly wet...but I had muddy water in the manifold that I had to dry out.

Pics of the pinion angle:

...not the best pics

Sent by a messenger bird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.