GR8 Half Top on my LJ Rubicon - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > GR8 Half Top on my LJ Rubicon

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #91
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

^ I was going to ask the same thing. Real good times down there! How was BFE?

Unread 06-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #92
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
The hill climb looks like rose garden hill ? Fun place to be...
You are correct. Looks pretty intimidating from the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMasterGT View Post
^ I was going to ask the same thing. Real good times down there! How was BFE?
We had a blast at BFE. The area we were at offered a little different terrain than the rest of the trails we were on the other days. Cool place.

Quote:
Does your gas tank overflow at the pump?
SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE!

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

1976 CJ-7 - 33" Super Swampers - BDS 4" Suspension - 6 Point Roll Cage
Mud Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #93
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Machine View Post
We had a blast at BFE. The area we were at offered a little different terrain than the rest of the trails we were on the other days. Cool place.
More pix then!
Unread 06-06-2014, 06:11 PM   #94
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You are correct. Looks pretty intimidating from the bottom.

I thought I recognized it . We ran it ten years ago and it had some mean ledges halfway up , I can only imagine how rough it is now .
Unread 06-07-2014, 10:20 AM   #95
unlimited06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Put a tonneau cover on yesterday....
How did you attach the tonneau up front along the bulkhead? Ive seen some guys sandwich them between the top and bulkhead. Just curious. Thanks
Unread 06-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #96
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMasterGT View Post
More pix then!
Sorry, I was so excited wheelin that I forgot to take any pictures while we were at BFE.

Quote:

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

Unread 06-09-2014, 08:13 AM   #97
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited06 View Post
How did you attach the tonneau up front along the bulkhead? Ive seen some guys sandwich them between the top and bulkhead. Just curious. Thanks
I made a bow that goes across the front of the box and attached Velcro to it. The cover has Velcro sewn along the front edge as well. It's not a perfect seal but still works well.

Quote:

Unread 06-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #98
unlimited06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I made a bow that goes across the front of the box and attached Velcro to it. The cover has Velcro sewn along the front edge as well. It's not a perfect seal but still works well.
That's a great idea. I'm on the edge of doing the conversion and was thinking ahead. I originally thought about using angle aluminum across the front of the box. Wasn't sure how to attach it. Hi-temp Velcro is a perfect solution. I still have my OE soft top on and am using a Bestop headliner inside. It attaches with Velcro on the front edge between the sailcloth and plastic header but they supplied junk Velcro. The glue heated up from the summer sun not long after I got it and literally slid out from between the top and header. I replaced that junk with the HI-Temp stuff and hadn't had a problem in years.

One big thing holding me back from pulling the trigger is the common leak issue I keep reading about. RIght where the top, door and windshield frame meet. Do you get water through that area?
Unread 06-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #99
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
One big thing holding me back from pulling the trigger is the common leak issue I keep reading about. RIght where the top, door and windshield frame meet. Do you get water through that area?
Yes, I had the same issues. I ended up using some self adhesive weather stripping from the hardware store. It fit the recessed opening in the top perfect and solved the problem.

Quote:

Unread 06-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #100
unlimited06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, I had the same issues. I ended up using some self adhesive weather stripping from the hardware store. It fit the recessed opening in the top perfect and solved the problem.
Good fix. Was it a horizontal gap between the top and the windshield frame by the door where the OE rubber seal is or more of a door to top seal issue? Sorry for all the questions.
Unread 06-10-2014, 09:21 AM   #101
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

How are your 5.13s with the auto and 33s?
Unread 06-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #102
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Was it a horizontal gap between the top and the windshield frame by the door where the OE rubber seal is or more of a door to top seal issue? Sorry for all the questions.
The main issue is right at the front corner where the windshield frame, door and top meet. There is a factory rubber seal there but it does not do the job by itself. Hope that is what you were asking. If not, let me know.

The rest of the door seal was OK but not perfect. I still suggest doing the entire upper door area. It helps keep the wind noise down as well.

No problem with the questions by the way.

Quote:

Unread 06-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #103
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
How are your 5.13s with the auto and 33s?
The 5.13's work awesome. Keep in mind that I have the 42rle with the .69 overdrive. It really changed the overall attitude and drivability of my Jeep. Much more responsive and fun to drive. Works great at lower speeds and is matched up nicely at higher speeds when the OD kicks in. No more annoying downshifting going up inclines while on the highway. RPM's are about 2350 or so at 65mph. Just right for the 4.0. Most of my wheeling is done in high range now with low range only needed for those serious climbs. Oh ya, it also is much more fun off-road with the extra responsiveness. If I had to do it over and could do it for free I would use the 5.13's again.

Quote:

Unread 06-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #104
unlimited06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The main issue is right at the front corner where the windshield frame, door and top meet. There is a factory rubber seal there but it does not do the job by itself. Hope that is what you were asking. If not, let me know.

The rest of the door seal was OK but not perfect. I still suggest doing the entire upper door area. It helps keep the wind noise down as well.

No problem with the questions by the way.
Thanks. I got to see one in person a few months ago. The guy sealed up the last several inches of the top where it meets the windshield up to the corner of the door. I could visibly see how tight the top was at the middle of the windshield and the gaps on either side towards the ends. Almost like the top was razor straight from left to right but the windshield frame was just a bit curved. Does that make sense? I really didn't want to mess with aftermarket weatherseal or weatherstripping if I didn't have to. Seems like most products I've seen wouldn't hold up over time.

I pulled the trigger on an Xtop today so I guess I'll get to see first hand. I've wanted the top for about three years now. It's time. I'll be doing some interior mods. Gonna flip my speaker pods. I have two amps for my sound system I don't want to lose. I know I cant have my sub box any more so I'm probably gonna' cry a little bit then make a custom box for a smaller sub. Looks like I'm only gonna fit an 8" back there. Im replacing my drivers fold up seat frame for an older TJ fixed frame. That opens up a bunch of useable space under the drivers seat too.
Unread 06-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #105
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I never had any issues with the front of the top at the windshield. Mine fits nearly perfect in that area and has never leaked or made any wind noise. I did not have to add any additional weather stripping to this area.

Glad to hear you have a top on the way. Hope all goes well for you during the change over. I'm not sure if you saw that they offer a lower bulkhead with uncut speaker enclosures which allow you to cut and mount speakers, etc of your choice. They work nicely and have a spot in between the tow sides to mount an amp if you wish. I went this route with mine and the speaker enclosures worked excellent.

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.