GR8 Half Top on my LJ Rubicon - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > GR8 Half Top on my LJ Rubicon

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #76
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You are correct. I had the same issue with the factory door seal not doing the job and had a few leaks as well as some wind noise. One spot was at the upper front corner of the driers door and on the passenger door water would follow it down the door and drip into the cab at the bottom. I went to the local hardware store and picked up some 3/8 thick by 3/4" wide black (Truck cap/Camper style) foam tape and ran it down the entire top inside the door edge. No more leaks.

Quote:
Does your gas tank overflow at the pump?
SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE!

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

1976 CJ-7 - 33" Super Swampers - BDS 4" Suspension - 6 Point Roll Cage
Mud Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #77
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Machine View Post
You are correct. I had the same issue with the factory door seal not doing the job and had a few leaks as well as some wind noise. One spot was at the upper front corner of the driers door and on the passenger door water would follow it down the door and drip into the cab at the bottom. I went to the local hardware store and picked up some 3/8 thick by 3/4" wide black (Truck cap/Camper style) foam tape and ran it down the entire top inside the door edge. No more leaks.
Thanks Mud Machine I was looking into some options like that yesterday at my local hardware store, its disappointing that something that cost so much does not fit properly. I have contacted GR8TOPS for support and gotten zero response which tells me quite a bit about the company...

“If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend six sharpening my axe.”- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #78
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the fit and finish. Overall mine fit well. The hardest part was drilling the holes for the cage to pass through and maintaining the top alignment at the same time. Even after trying for some time to get the top perfect it couldn't be done. My passenger door still has an uneven gap which doesn't cause any issues but it still isn't right. I thought this might be due to rolling my Jeep (prior to the installation of the top) and possibly tweaking the windshield frame a bit. After hearing your story I'm not sure about my theory anymore.

Quote:

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

Unread 05-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #79
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just took these Savvy/Foxes out of the box. Can't wait to try them out.

Quote:

Unread 05-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #80
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Are those the fox shocks that savvy has someone tune?
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #81
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yes you are correct. The Fox's they sell have a proprietary tune.

Quote:

Unread 05-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #82
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Machine View Post
Yes you are correct. The Fox's they sell have a proprietary tune.
Did you send them to Wayne at Alltech?

“If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend six sharpening my axe.”- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #83
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

No I did not. I'm going to run them and see how things feel and go from there.

Quote:

Unread 06-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #84
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I mounted my Fox's that I bought from Savvy Off Road and all I can say is I'm pissed. I'm pissed I didn't do this a long time ago. I have been running BDS 5500's for the last 100,000 miles (two sets) and thought that they were a decent shock for the money and that they offered a nice ride. I have been blaming the harshness of the cracks and pot holes in the road on my 285 10ply tires. WOW, was I wrong. When I took my first test ride after mounting up the Fox's I was in total amazement on how nice these were and how much of an improvement over my BDS's. Say goodbye to all of the harshness I was experiencing thinking it was the tires. Man, did I just get schooled. All I could think of when driving it was "WOW....was that ever smooth or even soft if you can believe that. Smmoootthhh. Even hammered across a bad rail road track and all I could say was Smmoootthhh. So far I have only driven on the road but have driven on some of the worst roads in my area and am still amazed. My Jeep has noticeably less nose dive when breaking as well. As soon as I took them out of the box and compressed them you could just tell how smooth they were. Can't wait to get back in the Jeep and go for a ride and enjoy what feels to be a new Jeep. As soon as I get some trail time I will report back.

Quote:

Unread 06-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #85
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You have built yourself a beautiful LJ , nice work . And the review of the Fox Shocks sounds like its going to cost me money !
Unread 06-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #86
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thank you!!

At least it's money well spent.

Quote:

Unread 08-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #87
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So the tube clamps are from Summit? I've been looking at doing this but will need to add 6 through the cab gaskets to keep my roll cage in there.
kuruma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #88
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I bought the clamps somewhere else but I do believe that Summit does sell the same ones or close enough to the same. If you have to line up six holes and grommets I wish you well. Take your time and be patient. Good luck!

Quote:

Unread 06-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #89
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just drove it 1,500 miles to MOAB, wheeled it hard for a week and drove it back 1,500 miles. Performed without any issues. AMEN!!

MOAB below:

Crazy hill climb. See the white truck at the bottom for sizing:

Added some cans to the old tire carrier and put it back on for the trip:

Quote:

Unread 06-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #90
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The hill climb looks like rose garden hill ? Fun place to be...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.