GR8 Half Top on my LJ Rubicon - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > GR8 Half Top on my LJ Rubicon

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 02-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #46
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmp319 View Post
Are you still able to put the factory softtop on if you wanted?
I was wondering the same thing. I want a soft top for my halfcab for summer time.

IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #47
muckinfudder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

those half cabs look pretty sweet
muckinfudder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 12:07 AM   #48
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmp319 View Post
I have been playing with the half top idea for a long time not i have to mopar softtop half top and like the look but like the hardtop look better.. Are you still able to put the factory softtop on if you wanted? and can you still put the back seat in ? I dont usually drive more then two people in the lj but my dog love the back seat in the summer....
I also have a red lj and it would look like yours besides that i have tube fenders but i love yours makes me really ponder the the halftop!!
You can still put the factory soft top back on without any issues. It wouldn't take long to do.

If you wanted to use the back seat the problem would be with the lower bulkhead. In order to use the back seat you would have to remove the bulkhead. This would not allow you to seal it up properly when the half top is on and the seat is out.

The seat might bolt back in place with the bulkhead left in place but there would not be any leg room. If you’re just hauling the dog this might work.

Quote:
Does your gas tank overflow at the pump?
SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE!

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

1976 CJ-7 - 33" Super Swampers - BDS 4" Suspension - 6 Point Roll Cage
Mud Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #49
jamesmp319
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info if I can sell my hard top I will probably do a halftop im not to worried about the bulkhead not sealing 100% because my Lj is not my DD so if were getting a blizzard im most likely not driving it lol... This might be my project for next winter
jamesmp319 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #50
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Might as well put my 1,000th post here. The people and knowledge on JeepForum are/is nothing short of amazing. Thanks!!

Quote:

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

Unread 03-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #51
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ordered some 5:13 gears for the Jeep today. Looking forward to getting them here and installed.

Quote:

Unread 05-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #52
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

5.13's are in and are AWESOME! I barely have to give it any throttle anymore. Found myself speeding because I was still gauging my speed by the sound that my engine used to make. I broke them in as suggested and then gave them the test. No problem chirping tires from a stop now. It feels like I am driving a normal vehicle and it no longer feels like a brick with a tent strapped to its ***. The improvement in acceleration is amazing. The tranny shifts much better as well. The only downside is that I waited so long to do it.

Celebration is in order....

Quote:

Unread 05-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #53
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

So you're running 5.13s with 33s? Do you have the 42 RLE automatic? Seems a bit steep so I'd love to know what RPMs you're pulling at 70 mph. Also, did you MPG go up or down?
DINOCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 12:24 AM   #54
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You are correct it's the 42rle auto. It does seem like a steep gear but it is ideal for this tranny because of the .69 overdrive it has.

60mph - 2,250rpm
70mph - 2,600rpm

Right where the 4.0 is happy.

I ran my first tank in the city with only about 5 miles highway to break in the gears. My gas mileage increased noticeably. I went as far on 3/4 of a tank in the city as I used to get out of a full tank (to red warning indicator) on the highway. Haven't checked mpg's to find out what the actual increase is.

Quote:

Unread 05-03-2011, 07:32 AM   #55
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Machine View Post
You are correct it's the 42rle auto. It does seem like a steep gear but it is ideal for this tranny because of the .69 overdrive it has.

60mph - 2,250rpm
70mph - 2,600rpm

Right where the 4.0 is happy.

I ran my first tank in the city with only about 5 miles highway to break in the gears. My gas mileage increased noticeably. I went as far on 3/4 of a tank in the city as I used to get out of a full tank (to red warning indicator) on the highway. Haven't checked mpg's to find out what the actual increase is.

Keep us updated on your MPG. I have 33s with 4.11 gears and the 42RLE and I get about 12mpg city and 15mpg highway. Not good.
DINOCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #56
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Will do. By the way you are getting about the same mpg's I was getting before the gears so I would say that "Not Good" is probably normal for the gear, tranny and tire combination.

Quote:

Unread 05-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #57
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Installed a Blue Monkey SpeedoHealer. (No gear change option in a Rubicon) My speedometer was 15.5% to fast after installing the 5.13's. It was super easy to hook up and worked awesome. The speedometer is now spot on.

Quote:

Unread 05-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #58
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Went out today to test out the 5.13's and was very impressed. Wheeled on rocks, in mud, attacked a hill climb, obstacle course, did some major articulation as well as some technical trails. Didn't need low range all day.

Quote:

Unread 05-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #59
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Ugh I wish I could afford a regear...

Fantastic Jeep
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #60
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

We need to get our Jeeps together. With your camera and photographic skills I think it would make for some cool pictures.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.