GR8 Half Top on my LJ Rubicon - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > GR8 Half Top on my LJ Rubicon

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 10-25-2010, 09:56 AM   #31
thickone

2005 TJ Wrangler 

cool top....
do you sit straight up? or are you able to recline???
can you put your seat all the way back??
can you take a pic with you sitting in it???

Unread 10-25-2010, 10:05 AM   #32
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thickone View Post
cool top....
do you sit straight up? or are you able to recline???
can you put your seat all the way back??
can you take a pic with you sitting in it???
You are able to recline the seat with the extended version that is on my Jeep. It reclines somewhere around the 4th notch (back from the straight up position) on the seat. This can be done with the seat all the way back.

Quote:
Does your gas tank overflow at the pump?
SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE!

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

1976 CJ-7 - 33" Super Swampers - BDS 4" Suspension - 6 Point Roll Cage
Mud Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #33
sene
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the PM about the bumper! Your LJ is definitely my favorite out of all the forum. I hope one day I can do something similar... maybe even do the AEV brute conversion... one day....
sene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #34
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks sene!! No problem on the PM and if you start the project someday let me know. I might be able to give you an idea or two that should save you some time and money.

Quote:

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

Unread 12-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #35
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

All that talk about frame twisting in the LJ pic thread got me worried. Do you have any inside shots of how the quick release knuckles meet up to the factory bar in the cab? I always liked the clean look you gave your rig - I might end up doing something similar. Thanks
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #36
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8pepl View Post
All that talk about frame twisting in the LJ pic thread got me worried. Do you have any inside shots of how the quick release knuckles meet up to the factory bar in the cab? I always liked the clean look you gave your rig - I might end up doing something similar. Thanks
Thanks man!!

The tube clamps that I used are actually on the outside of the top. The factory rear bars are still connected to the main factory hoop. They then go through the top as seen below.

Then on the outside right near where it comes out the top I have these tube clams to allow the half top to be removed. Two bolts on the clamp and two bolts (I used the factory location) in the rear and the tubing can be removed. Once the top is off you can quickly bolt the tubing back in.

Helpful Idea: Since you don't have any factory tubing coming off the rear of yours now please be aware that the largest size tubing clamps that I could find are 2" and they were not easy to find. The factory tube is 2 1/4" and has to be fitted to the 2" connector. You might as well come right off of the factory bar with 2". Just make sure that you can find a 2" grommet for the top before you drill the hole.

Hope this is what you were looking for. If I misunderstood your question please let me know.

.................................................. .......................

Quote:

Unread 12-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #37
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

Ahhh I see what you did now. This an idea I am going to have to play around with. Thanks for the response.
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #38
aaronb

Looks sweet! I was even thinking about putting one on my TJ, but it isnt stretched and I think it might look wierd
aaronb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #39
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Did a little winter wheelin in Upper Michigan last weekend. Hard to believe we had mud when it was about 14 degees outside.

Quote:

Unread 01-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #40
lobi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i really like the top ive been thinking about maybe doing it but i have a tj so idk
lobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #41
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobi View Post
i really like the top ive been thinking about maybe doing it but i have a tj so idk
They also make a top that is 2 1/2" shorter than mine that looks more proportioned on a TJ.

Quote:

Unread 01-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #42
677Sahara
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Love the way it looks. Now I'll have to spend time thinking about it.
677Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 12:54 AM   #43
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looks real good! Those of you thinking about doing it to a TJ I say go for it I have looked at gr8 tops web site gallery and I think it looks good as long as you do some sort of cage in the bed. If you leave it empty it looks kinda odd.
balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 01:03 AM   #44
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 677Sahara View Post
Love the way it looks. Now I'll have to spend time thinking about it.
Thanks 677Sahara. I spent a lot of time thinking about it as well. Now I think, “Damn, I should have just done it back when I started thinking about it”. Anyway I say just go for it.

Quote:

Unread 02-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #45
jamesmp319
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I have been playing with the half top idea for a long time not i have to mopar softtop half top and like the look but like the hardtop look better.. Are you still able to put the factory softtop on if you wanted? and can you still put the back seat in ? I dont usually drive more then two people in the lj but my dog love the back seat in the summer....
I also have a red lj and it would look like yours besides that i have tube fenders but i love yours makes me really ponder the the halftop!!
jamesmp319 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.