Goob's "Hell on Wheels" YJ Build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Goob's "Hell on Wheels" YJ Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 01-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #76
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Dont worry I dont think you could be a bigger cheap skate than Me and Ashland dont tell him I said that. I reused my brakes calipers and pads my 8.8 had good ones on it so I just turned the disks I got friends in high places and my father-in-law works at a stealership so just used their machine in after hours. there are cheap ways to do things just got to make friends with the right people.
Nice build by the way been watching for a while and decided to speak up.
The guy at orielly is a jeep guy I was hoping he would cut me a deal on turning the front rotors but he didnt. 15 apiece. Hell I could have got new ones on rock auto for that.
Thanks for tuning in. I havent read your whole thread but I have been watching the swap progress :P

Unread 01-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #77
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

SYE done. Had to pillage the mode shaft from other case, mine was too long. Also changed the input seal. And swapped the shift lever to one that gives true neutral.
Cleaned it up, deciding if I want to paint or not.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
1390075978978.jpg   1390075994038.jpg  
Unread 01-18-2014, 01:27 PM   #78
daddyjeep87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Paint? Are you building a show jeep now? I struggle with the same thing on mine and have to remind myself that I am building a Jeep to use not look nice. I have more important and more functional things to spend my time on.
daddyjeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #79
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yea I know, but i cleaned it up so good with a wire wheel it would just take masking a few spots off :P
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #80
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I was going to throw it back in today, then I remembered the skid and frame are rusty where they meet. So I wire wheel and rust converted the skid in the bad spots. Need to do same to frame.

1390149984767.jpg  
Unread 01-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #81
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Got rust converter and primer on the skid and bottom frame, glad there was no swiss cheese on the frame. Other than that I made 2 observations.
1. The passenger ujoint is toast in the "new" d30. At least I was going to pull the hub to slide shafts out anyway.(assuming I will have to for the lunchbox thats in the mail)

2. I didn't realize the tranny output seal actually sealed around the tc input where it slides over it. so in essence you can see right past the seal and into the tranny. Why is this a problem you ask? Because when I left a jackstand under the tranny to support it, I didn't raise it all the way back up. Yep there is about a quart of fluid on my garage floor. Guess there is a first time to learn anything right?

Its really frustrating to try and get this little stuff done in the cold. Without a good heater, paint and seam sealer etc just has to wait
Unread 01-20-2014, 05:33 PM   #82
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob View Post
Got rust converter and primer on the skid and bottom frame, glad there was no swiss cheese on the frame. Other than that I made 2 observations.
1. The passenger ujoint is toast in the "new" d30. At least I was going to pull the hub to slide shafts out anyway.(assuming I will have to for the lunchbox thats in the mail)

2. I didn't realize the tranny output seal actually sealed around the tc input where it slides over it. so in essence you can see right past the seal and into the tranny. Why is this a problem you ask? Because when I left a jackstand under the tranny to support it, I didn't raise it all the way back up. Yep there is about a quart of fluid on my garage floor. Guess there is a first time to learn anything right?

Its really frustrating to try and get this little stuff done in the cold. Without a good heater, paint and seam sealer etc just has to wait
I may have missed it in another post, but which locker did you go with for the 30?

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #83
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Lokka(aussie) Lunchbox variety. $198 shipped. Cant see going high dollar for a d30
Havent got it yet, was on a small backorder. Guess I didnt post it before!

Also I'm somewhat on the hunt for a v8 zj, or just a truck. Going to try and get this "done" in time to hit moab in march, and do not really want to drive it that far (17 hours google maps)
my ragged 4.3 blazer s-pile has served its purpose and is on its last legs anyway
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #84
daddyjeep87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Eventual drive train swap? I need to get myself a proper tow rig myself so I dont have to be nice to the Jeep when we are a long way from home.
daddyjeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 10:40 PM   #85
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I do so love my v8 zj, they're quite fun for sure. Depending on what they go for in your area you can often pick em up dirt cheap

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #86
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
Eventual drive train swap? I need to get myself a proper tow rig myself so I dont have to be nice to the Jeep when we are a long way from home.
I'm pretty happy with the 4.0 so no swap. If I ever did anything, it would be SBC or stroke the 4.0.
Even with the 3.07 gears I always felt like there was ample power. We shall see how bigger tires affects that

Unread 01-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #87
sdillinger
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob View Post
that was O'rielly auto. They all have a core charge on the calipers, I don't have any old ones to give em, the 8.8 came w/o them. However my favorite local upull has them for $20 each. the pitman arm I need is $10. The rotors were $12 or something. Just a matter of finding some in decent shape. Love that they list all part prices online so I can see before I go. rock auto cheapest is $116 for all of it before shipping or brake pads ($20). I might get the rotors If unable to find decent used ones, since they are 16 vs 33 at the store.

Not trying to be a total cheap-*** but I have spent a ton already and have another ton to spend yet on other stuff Suppose I could just do my taxes
Nice build.

Did you end up purchasing brake parts yet? East Coast Gear supply has a couple options on 8.8 brake kits that include calipers, rotors, pads, shoes, lines, and cables. If they dont have the combination you want I would call and have them quote you a price for exactly what you need. They build alot of 8.8's so I think they buy all those parts in bulk.

I'm currently building an 8.8 also. My calipers were good but everything else was shot, so I got ECGS full kit except calipers, then bought a parking brake hardware kit from rock auto. Be very careful with the 8.8 dust shields/backing plates that hold the shoes laterally. I destroyed and tossed mine only to find out that they are impossible to find. After 3 weeks of searching for a decent price on them I just decided to forget about the parking brake for now. I will keep the cables, shoes, and hardware around in case I find some in the future.
Unread 01-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #88
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

My dust shields were smashed when I bought the 8.8. I beat them back in place with the trusty BFH.
I did aqquire nearly new rotors and calipers (that had what looked like brand new pads in them) for about $65 total from the local U-pull. Used brakes aren't my thing but they looked really good.
I will still need all steel and rubber lines, which I probably wont mess with until its under the jeep and I can see what I'm dealing with. I never use park brake (automatic) so I will probably leave the cables clipped on that(for now at least)

This week has been no progress so far, there is plenty of little stuff to do but I'm having a hard time keeping it all organized in my head, which leads to me not remembering it needs done until Its time to do the next step.
example, I was going to throw the tc back in, but I still have to finish the underside of my floor and having the skidplate out gives more room. but its to cold for the seam sealer and paint to set.

Quote:
I destroyed and tossed mine only to find out that they are impossible to find. After 3 weeks of searching for a decent price on them I just decided to forget about the parking brake for now. I will keep the cables, shoes, and hardware around in case I find some in the future.
Boneyard should have plenty of them for maybe 10 each.
Unread 01-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #89
sdillinger
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Boneyard should have plenty of them for maybe 10 each.
Yeah I may go that route eventually. The problem is that to get them off intact you must pull the cover, carrier, shafts, calipers, disk and then finally the cast bracket. I wont do that now, its way too cold and snowy. If I do it later, then I have to take apart all the same items in my Jeep. We'll see. Thanks.
Unread 01-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #90
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Shouldn't have to pull the carrier out, yank the c clips and shafts. Some say the plates are just rock trappers anyway

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.