Goob's "Hell on Wheels" YJ Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Goob's "Hell on Wheels" YJ Build

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 11-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #31
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcj978 View Post
All I can say is u lucky SOB LOL wish I could find deals like that
I normally get lucky with deals. I got my CJ7 for such a good price! I also always save money on parts.

Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #32
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

well it was a "part out" ad. he wanted 100 for the axle or 250 for whole thing. i gave him 100 and a tv I dont use. score! best part is i will have both my 3.07 axles to sell and the rear d35 4.10 to sell off this. im using the skid off gastank. sure i can sell the 8" beaverteeth shackles. and it has ax-5 and 231tc sitting in it but they are covered in fluid so probably junk. that huge bumper is welded on so if nothing else i can scrap the rest when im done. the frame is still usable though.
next up, 8.8

Got the d30 moved in the garage today and got about 20 mins worth of wire wheelin done. this thing still has about 50% unrusted paint on it, so cleanup wont be so bad
Unread 11-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #33
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Im trying to decide on what springs I want to get. with black friday looming, im hoping to find something on sale somewhere and pull the trigger.

I really want 4-5 inches but would settle for a great 3.5 spring. springs on my radar:

bds 3.5 110
zone 4" - $70 each
OME seems to be well respected and in price range at $76 fronts and 100 rear, however 2 and 2.5" seems lower than I was hoping for

really would like to do rancho 44044(waggy 2" for total of 4" and 2" stretch) but they are nearly double cost per spring so thats out
Unread 11-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #34
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

nice little project

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #35
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob View Post
Im trying to decide on what springs I want to get. with black friday looming, im hoping to find something on sale somewhere and pull the trigger.
>>>>>Input appreciated<<<<
*Something I want is a brand that warranties them and will replace if they break/bend
*ride quality isnt overly important, its a jeep. however would like to avoid brands known for massive sagging etc

I really want 4-5 inches but would settle for a great 3.5 spring. springs on my radar:

rustys 4" -$80 each
zone 4" - $70 each
OME seems to be well respected and in price range at $76 fronts and 100 rear, however 2 and 2.5" seems lower than I was hoping for

really would like to do rancho 44044(waggy 2" for total of 4" and 2" stretch) but they are nearly double cost per spring so thats out
What tire size are you going with? How much cutting do you want to do? What kind of fenders? Stock? Flat? Metalcloaks? None? Homebrew? How much body lift is acceptable to you? How much shackle lift? What's your endgame? What kind of wheeling, where, and how often? Any street time or a trailer queen?

These are the questions you need to answer so we can all help you make choices lol.

But out of those two? Zone 100%. Did you check out THIS thread. So far Rusty doesn't have a lot going for him. And Zone's reputation seems to be fairly decent. My buddy, Cwest22 here on JF, has their kit on his TJ. Apples to oranges I know, but so far its a great kit and plenty of support.

Good luck bud!

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #36
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I wanted cloaks until I realized its 500+ another 250 for the outers! right now I have 31 mudders that i plan to run at first until they wear down or they look absurd, then i will sell them and get nothing more than 35, settle for 33 too.
there was a post in wdydtyyjt awhile back, some guy in costa rica with an orange yj who did the only good trim job ive ever noticed on the stock fenders, been looking for that post.
I already have a 1" body lift and 1" shackle from besrk (I might shorten those) also have a SYE not installed yet, along with the aforementioned 4.10 d30 to throw in. still working on my 8.8 funds as I have my choice of 10+ with D2 and 42 codes.

right now it probably gets 90% street time, our club calandar has run dry for the year it would seem. the terrain here is mostly pastures, dirt hills and mud, with some rocks here and there, enough to break my exhaust and high center me. :P Not building it to be a mall crawler either, when I wheel i just say,"F it, I'll try that!" some examples of be being rescued in the pics.
The problem here is zero public land to wheel, so im limited to hour plus drives to club runs. and muddy class b roads which arent all that fun.

Def wont be a trailer queen. its my daily driver until the salt comes out then I have a crappy rusted out blazer to drive in that.
Unread 11-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #37
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Not much doin lately, I have cut out the rot in the drivers floorboard, pulled seat, pulled drivers side full step, now I have some more cancer to take care of, and get to welding. Wish it wasnt forecast for 25 degree high temps all weekend!

edit: cut out the cancer, got this tacked in today. so cold, hands numb. think im going to fit the pan in before I attempt to weld the rest of this since the pan attaches to it on the inside
I know thats a huge cut compared to the rust shot above, the rust was all on the inside that high and I figured if I have to cut a small patch might as well get it all
Unread 11-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #38
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Finally found the post of the guy that cut the fenders and made it look good, posting here for reference. looks better than flatties IMO

Unread 11-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #39
daddyjeep87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

This is how I cut mine.

imgp1676.jpg
daddyjeep87 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #40
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Scored my 8.8 install kit from ruffstuff today, since it had a black friday sale.
Im really getting frustrated with this floorpan. had a nice day to work on it but didnt get as far as id like.
I did finally get it trimmed almost perfect, except where I went to far.....
got it tacked in while I figure out what to do next. really wish I had welder friends :P Much rather be wrenching than trying to do body work
next time im buying the stamped pan for sure!!! folded pan is a turd.
and next time I will overlap+weld instead of trying to size it perfect and butt-weld. such a pain in my arse.

Putting this here as well
Have
Need

• Ford 8.8 with 4.10 LSD (flameshield up) I really only intend on locking the front, lsd should be an upgrade over open in the back.
  • BDS 3.5" springs and bushings
  • ruffstuff 8.8 kit
  • Another d30 up front with 4.10/4.11.
  • -SYE-
  • Driveshaft. Probably tatton
  • Pitman arm

• relocate tranny vent while doing SYE

• -shocks- already have the extended shocks from ashlands thread so for now I will assume these will stay on.

Smaller items I need
  • new ujoints
    rear trans seal
    front brake pads
    turn rotors
    front hub to knuckle bolt, 1 is missing
    rear brake parts, new lines?
Unread 12-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #41
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

after days of wrestling that crappy "folded" floorpan,

new one

and my mistake of trying to buttweld such thin metal with flux core, I said F it and ordered the nicer stamped one today. I will drop it in with a small overlap and plug weld and seam seal it. its not like me to give up, esp when its money down the drain but I guess thats why you call it trial and error :O
Plus you can see on bottom right the black one has more coverage up that hump, where I had a gaping hole to fill with old pan. seen here
Unread 12-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #42
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

It has been a zero progress week besides getting my lift springs ordered! they should be in tomorrow or thursday
Been so damn cold, 10 degree highs. Making provisions to use tarps and "tent" off the area of the garage im in so my space heater will do something to take the bite off.

Good news is, i see 30 degree weather for the weekend, thats a little better. Also been considering doing the plasma thing to get the money for my 8.8 because I am so tapped, already used charge card too much for xmas :X
Unread 12-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #43
daddyjeep87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The plasma thing isn't bad. That is how we got beer money in college. The distributor was right across the street.
daddyjeep87 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #44
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I used to do it ages ago, before smartphones or wifi. was quite boring then. it takes me 2 hours when I get off work to scan through facebook, jeepforum and email anyway might as well sit in a chair and make money while I do it
Unread 12-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #45
hig69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Have you done anything with the new floor pan? Just wondered if you've fit it up yet?

Steve

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/father-son-88-yj-rebuild-1602609
hig69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
build , islander , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.