Goob's "Hell on Wheels" YJ Build - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Goob's "Hell on Wheels" YJ Build

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-06-2014, 03:59 AM   #166
tecksjeep
Wait for it......

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just remind me before we set out and its yours!

Exiled Offroad Colorado

Check out my build here! Criticism and good ideas welcomed Trashy to Fancy
tecksjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #167
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecksjeep View Post
Just remind me before we set out and its yours!
Will do thanks!

Today I hauled the 8.8 to a local jeeper/fabber and got everything all burned in. man I wish I had his shop!
Brought my oldest with me so he wanted to take a pic

Action shot

Williams welding mask

and back home in the shop. Going to try and clean some more rust off tomorrow and slap a quick coat or 2 on it before it goes back in.

Also took out the backseat and the back carpet, and found this gem, thought that was really cool it had survived under the carpet all these years!
Unread 03-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #168
tecksjeep
Wait for it......

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob View Post
Will do thanks!

Today I hauled the 8.8 to a local jeeper/fabber and got everything all burned in. man I wish I had his shop!
Brought my oldest with me so he wanted to take a pic

Action shot

Williams welding mask

and back home in the shop. Going to try and clean some more rust off tomorrow and slap a quick coat or 2 on it before it goes back in.

Also took out the backseat and the back carpet, and found this gem, thought that was really cool it had survived under the carpet all these years!
Man you better hurry lol These last minute projects are kicking my *** right now! I still have to run the cable for my OX locker but wanted to wait until i got new fluid for the diffs. Keep at it man!

Exiled Offroad Colorado

Unread 03-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #169
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

yes this whole thing is kicking my arse. Especially when I took the little bit of time I had today to work on....aesthetics? Couldnt bear to put that 8.8 in all rusty.
Also it occured to me I forgot to order a diff cover So I picked up a dorman cheapie and painted it neon green engine enamel
Hopefully that paint is dry enough in the am to stab that 8.8 in, its only 33 degrees. Did run a space heater on it for awhile.

And while I had the rust converter, primer and paint out, might as well hit a bad spot or 2 on the frame before it turns bad. ok it was bad but not rotted through
Unread 03-09-2014, 12:45 AM   #170
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Getting closer. got alot done today but had some setbacks too. namely a stripped lug stud on the 8.8 (pulled it get new one tomorrow) Also suffering from some wicked Vertigo from the moment I woke up so spending the day working was a challenge.
the brake line that feeds the rear broke off so I have to grab some new line and run it to the hose. Also boogered up the new line on the 8.8 and had to compression fitting it together for now, I will be getting a new 4' line and redoing that later.
Also sold one of my d35's for $100 after I dug it out of the pond out back.

If pluto aligns with jupiters 3rd moon tomorrow I will be able to test drive it, whats left is tightening down random stuff in back, filling both diffs and topping off tranny, locking over cad fork, final torque on ubolts which I need to look up. fix the above mentioned brake issues, and put the wheels back on of course.
some random pics of the day

This is why they call me Goob, Goober welds lmao

Unread 03-09-2014, 12:51 AM   #171
tecksjeep
Wait for it......

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Don't forget to drive it as much as you can then change the fluid before you go!

Exiled Offroad Colorado

Unread 03-10-2014, 03:57 AM   #172
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Worked all weekend and got it on the road last night. 4hi just grinds and there wicked vibes, going to try a few things later. Shims are on the list. More details later. 3spd auto with 4.10 is ridiculous I need bigger tires bad!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
1394441762787.jpg  
Unread 03-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #173
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Pulling the front driveshaft removed enough vibes to let me get up to 56mph(beats the 30 I got yesterday) but it still has vibes, and turns 2800 rpms with these 31's. suppose I should have put in 3.73's instead of 4.11 with this stupid TF999 3 speed.
At least it runs, other than hard shifting from park to reverse, wanting to die sometimes at stops, squeak in the donor unit bearings, bungeed up steering stabilizer, awful grinding in 4hi with no movement, leaky exhaust, and the vibes

I did pick up some OVERPRICED 2* shims for the rear since I overcompensated the pinion angle/driveshaft angle. didnt put them in yet. Kind of bummed was supposed to leave tomorrow for Moab but was not expecting all these issues, looks like Im jumping in the "next time boat"

In the meantime I need to pick some tires. I have room for 35's, just need a brand. Really like the cooper STT but if anyone has any suggestions chime in! this thing does see more street than dirt since iowa sucks and has no good public wheelin.
Unread 03-10-2014, 09:44 PM   #174
daddyjeep87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

That sucks, you've been working hard for this trip. I am extremely happy with my STT's.
daddyjeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #175
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I must have put in a 40 hour week in the garage from friday to sunday
I *could* still go just for the camping and fun but thats a kick in the webos to go all the way there and not bring the heep
Unread 03-10-2014, 10:22 PM   #176
DpDave
Semper Fidelis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I second the "that sux"... I'm trying to be patient getting my junk together, but also in the not a chance to go wheeling camp. If I can get done, AND make some time next spring, maybe I'll see ya in Moab.

Might start drumming up interest for a Rubicon trip...

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...build-1521567/
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2014, 11:19 PM   #177
tecksjeep
Wait for it......

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Dude I will cover your camping fee and the gas from Colorado to moab. You get to my house and lets go have some fun!!!

Exiled Offroad Colorado

Unread 03-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #178
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Im not ruling that out, check the moab thread.
Unread 03-10-2014, 11:32 PM   #179
tecksjeep
Wait for it......

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well it will save you a little money if you ride with me and just let me know cause in already covered your camping fee

Exiled Offroad Colorado

Unread 03-11-2014, 03:46 AM   #180
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Doooo it!!

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
build , islander , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.