got it back on 4 wheels for the time being. measured and ordered driveshaft. also pulled out that gnarly tub/fender rock dent, still looks like hell but better. Man I should have done this sooner, it will be a week before that DS is here. The other bummer is that im pretty sure the LSD is gone in this 8.8. without wheels they were locked, but with tires on there I can spin it like an open. Oh well Before now
I had similar damage on my rear quarter panel. I just cut it out and covered it in armor
'95 YJ 2.5L March '15 YJ of the Month!
Exiled Offroad - Arizona
Kind of a bummer the sliders dont cover the front carnage or the rear hole I have. Oh well.
Progress: Today I replaced the trans mount with a energy 3.1108G meant for Gm cars/trucks. when I put everything in last week I noticed the TC was about 1/16" from rubbing the skid. this thing is nice!
Also found the source of my goofy exhaust noise, rock carnage what else. cut that out and will just splice in some new pipe.
And damn it was cold 5 degrees out there!
new, notice it has threaded holes instead of studs that stick out
And you dont have to fully drop the skid, leave the back 2 bolts halfway in and she hangs down just enough
ugh I really shouldnt have cut that exhaust, i was just going to clamp a new piece in. then i saw how close it is to the trans pan and a clamp there will be almost rubbing. that and each end is a different size, tried to expand it with no luck.
Then there is the saga of the broken stabilizer bolt. that thing wont budge, cant even drill it out because it is chewing up my drill bits.
Lastly tried to put on my sliders and got nowhere! trying to get the washer above the slider where the body mount is, is going to be the death of me. tried it with washer under and the slider sits angled too bad and wont flush with the tub.
I was told you can jam it in there without cutting the 3/16 off the mount. Could have taken it out and cut it twice in the time I wasted trying to jam it in there between the washer and mount
So the tally is 6 hours in the garage between last night and today with absolutely 0 progress. Needless to say my BFH learned how to fly today
So I started it for the first time in ages, loud as hell without the exhaust :O
found out the CAD does not function on the new dirty30. Then I started thinking about it, I have a locker so the driveshaft is going to turn always anyway right? If thats the case I will just lock it over and forget about it.
Then I went for round 2 on that slider and it turns out I just needed to eat a snickers and stop being a diva yesterday, it only took 5 mins to pop it in today
My original plan was to keep the cad with a posilock but that was before I realized I would be spinning from the locker anyway. :banghead:
Also got the other slider on, that's enough for the day in this bs 3 degree weather
Well my exhaust plan backfired on me. the cut was too close to the bend to get a standard fitting on there without it sitting crooked. I ended up doing what no self respecting jeeper should ever do. Put in flexible pipe Really dont have time to do it up right so this will suffice for now. Really really hoping my driveshaft gets here tomorrow so I can set up everything on the 8.8
Maybe I'm just stupid for trying to force this thing together to hit up moab next week I blame the ruthless winter for slow progress
A little progress is better than no progress man. Keep at it, you've got plenty of time. I wish I could make it out to Moab with you guys this year, but I don't have enough together to even roll it up on the trailer...
If yer gonna fight, fight like the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.
My Build Thread:
Brown Santa came, so I got busy!
Added a flange, set pinion angle about 4 times till satisfied ended up with 19* pinion and 21.5* driveshaft, give or take.
Got it all tacked in, shock mounts marked, knuckles busted and beers emptied loaded up to get it welded somewhere tomorrow. ( if you saw my tacks you would know why I'm taking it in )