Golden Eagle Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Golden Eagle Build

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #31
iananderson17
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Those tires look absolutely great on there. I know they're the radials, which are what I'm considering when I finally get my lift. Being a high school kid, I do limited driving, and I was just curious how many miles you expect to get out of these, based on how they're doing so far.

Show that to your dad !!
iananderson17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #32
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwind1972 View Post
Heck, you'll definitely need a drop down bracket if you don't already need one. Lemme know how it goes.
Thats the weird thing. I have a bracket already on there, but it always binds up. I haven't found one that's worth a damn that will hold up and lock into place.

P.S. Sorry to hijack your thread on the build. Let me know and I'll move this post to another thread.

Last edited by Niceface; 07-15-2009 at 04:07 PM..
Niceface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #33
Ironwind1972
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iananderson17 View Post
Those tires look absolutely great on there. I know they're the radials, which are what I'm considering when I finally get my lift. Being a high school kid, I do limited driving, and I was just curious how many miles you expect to get out of these, based on how they're doing so far.
Thanks, appreciate it. To be honest, I don't know how long they'll go for. I've only had them on for a few hundred miles. I've looked up articles on them and really haven't found much about mileage durability. One review I read the guy said he had 40,000 miles and almost half tread on them. Those seem like optimistic numbers, but you never know.
Unread 07-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #34
Ironwind1972
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceface View Post
Thats the weird thing. I have a bracket already on there, but it always binds up. I haven't found one that's worth a damn that will hold up and lock into place.

P.S. Sorry to hijack your thread on the build. Let me know and I'll move this post to another thread.
Nah you're ok, it's all about jeeps for me, yours or mine. When I put mine in 4L, my linkage rod was in a straight line with the torque shaft arm, to the point of if it was rotated any further, it would start to rotate back the other way (pulling the shifting rod backward instead of forward). I'd look at yours in 4L, and see if it's doing the same. I did notice that you actually have 2 drop down brackets, that might be why it's binding up in the first place. Look at mine compared to yours, yours is probably twice as long. Also, is your linkage adjusted as far as it can go underneath the shifter itself? What sized tires are you running? Maybe going to a smaller BL and removing one of those brackets might be a good option.
Unread 07-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #35
Ironwind1972
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I just mounted my Hi-lift at the lower rear of my roll cage. It is mounted with some vinyl coated band tensioners for a chain link fence (2 & 3/8 inch). I had to remove some of the padding to get the tensioners to fit. It's very stable and won't budge an inch.

Unread 07-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #36
docharlach
1999 TJ Wrangler 

fantastic jeep. the build looks great.
Unread 07-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #37
Ironwind1972
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by docharlach View Post
fantastic jeep. the build looks great.
Thank ye kindly, a little at a time, but it'll get there!
Unread 07-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #38
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job on the lift and tires, and I'm glad you kept the GE wheels. Looks great!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2009, 10:41 PM   #39
Ironwind1972
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
Nice job on the lift and tires, and I'm glad you kept the GE wheels. Looks great!

Thank ya kindly sir. I'm glad I decided to keep them. I saw your picture...looks like you're a tall jeeper too. What part of the midwest are you in, I'm around the KC area? Great quote by the way, "love getting lost on old log trails", I'm right there with ya brother. I just wish there were some close.
Unread 07-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #40
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwind1972 View Post
Thank ya kindly sir. I'm glad I decided to keep them. I saw your picture...looks like you're a tall jeeper too. What part of the midwest are you in, I'm around the KC area? Great quote by the way, "love getting lost on old log trails", I'm right there with ya brother. I just wish there were some close.
Well I'm still just on 30s . I'll have my TJ paid off in about a year and then I can put that money towards a lift (so says my wife ). I do like the look of keeping the tires tucked in for that tall look. Unfortunately the wheels I like the best all seem to have way too little backspacing (like 3.25"). But as in your case I'd keep your GE wheels! I'm near Indy, btw, but I try and drive out west where I grew up as often as I can as I love seeing where log roads go. I was just suppose to be out in CO over the 4th but I just couldn't get off of work to make the two-week trip.

P.S. One thing is why I love the tall look is as a kid in Wyoming, all the ranch trucks had tall narrow tires due to the dirt roads were always so muddy in the Spring. In fact we use to say to pick your rut carefully as you'll be in it for the next mile.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Last edited by grogie; 07-22-2009 at 08:22 AM..
grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2009, 02:48 PM   #41
battman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nice Jeep Bro and great Job! I just got my first jeep aout a month ago. I also got a 2006 Golden with only 14,000 miles. We must be on the same wave length because I started mapping out almost the exact build for mine (to include the choice of tires). I have never lifted a Jeep and really nervous about it! Thanks for the great thread and I may contact you if I get stuck.

Great thread...The jeep is a gift from God above...it's the right way to see his beautiful landscapes.
Unread 08-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #42
moneygoose
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'd love to see more pics of your GE, and other people's too. I've got a 2003 TJ that I'm in the middle of modifying, and I find myself jealous of all of the '06 GE's!
moneygoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #43
Ironwind1972
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by battman View Post
Nice Jeep Bro and great Job! I just got my first jeep aout a month ago. I also got a 2006 Golden with only 14,000 miles. We must be on the same wave length because I started mapping out almost the exact build for mine (to include the choice of tires). I have never lifted a Jeep and really nervous about it! Thanks for the great thread and I may contact you if I get stuck.

Great thread...The jeep is a gift from God above...it's the right way to see his beautiful landscapes.
Right on brother, good to see someone else out there who loves to use his jeep to see God's country. Take care and keep in touch.
Unread 02-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #44
rideraa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

nice clean Mid build Jeep, with great attention detail
Unread 02-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #45
Ironwind1972
2006 TJ Wrangler 

New lift

I wanted to post an update on my build. I decided to take off the RC 2.5" and put on a Currie 4". I wanted a more complete, heavy duty suspension. The kit comes with Johnny joints on all control arms (both sides), adjustable front track bar, JKS quick disconnects, and a rear track bar relocation bracket (set up for a Johnny joint type Heims). This is probably the best built, strongest kit I've seen. I am very impressed with the quality and strength. All joints are greaseable, including the JKS disconnects. The only problems I've run into are; one of the nuts on an upper control arm stripped out on me. I had to order another (10 bucks), and it took me 3 hours to get it off (cutting, drilling, grinding). The rear track bar is set up for a large Heim type joint for the rear track bar. I'll have to order a Currie adjustable rear separately. I do not have a SYE or CV shaft yet, but will in the near future, so I'll have to run with a 1.25" TC drop. I still have the 1.25 BL in, and the MML. I had to make some modifications to my center console in order to shift through all the gears without hitting anything (another thing I'm not happy about). When I put my SYE in, I can get it back to factory. Longer shocks are needed, I'm using the RC 2.2 shocks. They limit my articulation. Hopefully I'll be able to replace them, and get the full benefits of the suspension.I also added 1.5" spacers to my wheels to keep from rubbing. Overall, I'm as happy as can be with the kit. I'd recommend it to anyone over my previous set up. I also added some black bezels and aluminum grill inserts to keep things out of my radiator. Here are a few pics.

Last edited by Ironwind1972; 05-03-2010 at 04:01 PM..
Ironwind1972 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.