Golden Eagle Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Golden Eagle Build

TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
Ironwind1972
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Golden Eagle Build

After 6 months of research I found my 06 Golden Eagle. Prices locally were ridiculous for the mileage/shape jeeps were in. I wanted a rubicon of course, but since last winter, prices have skyrocketed. We picked it up out of Tulsa OK. It had 29,xxx miles, 6 speed, hardtop, and a dana 44. It has a few minor scratches, no dings to speak of, and less than a dime size spot of rust on the body and frame. I'll keep this jeep as long as the Good Lord will allow me. I can't see myself owning anything else as my own personal vehicle.

The ad listed

and a day or two after I got her home

Last edited by Ironwind1972; 07-08-2009 at 02:48 PM..
Ironwind1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
AK99
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Cool. Now lets lift that baby!!
AK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
Ironwind1972
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I was on a budget from the very beginning. Even before we bought a jeep, I knew how much I had to spend on the lift/tires. I was ready to make her mine. After hours of reading, research and pricing, I decided I didn't have the funds to go any larger than 33's. So to keep my factory axles in tact and keep my Golden Eagle rims, I worked my build around these factors. I decided to go with RC's 2.5 lift.

As you can see, the front springs are around 4 inches larger than factory unloaded

The rear springs

I did the install by myself. I had some problems getting the springs back in their perches. For some odd reason I didn't have the factory spring retainer clips still on the jeep. I ended up dropping the front and back trac bars to get more droop and had to drop the lower control arms in front to get the much larger front springs in. I rented a spring compressor, but they are a joke to work with. The factory rubber shock bushings from RC are too thick. It's a complete pain to get your nut started. I ended up using my old bushings that were still in good shape. I have to say, I was impressed with the amount of lift I gained. I didn't measure before and after, but have much more clearance than I anticipated. I hope I don't lose too much clearance over time as my springs settle.

Last edited by Ironwind1972; 07-08-2009 at 02:49 PM..
Unread 07-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Ironwind1972
2006 TJ Wrangler 

After my spring lift was on, I added a 1.25 inch body lift (don't forget the locktight !). The body lift was the easiest install by far. I don't like body lifts, but rationalized mine with the possibility of doing a tummy tuck and/or a gas tank tuck later on, plus not having to install a SYE. I was not going to do a transfer case drop so a MML was the way for me. They are a complete pain to install alone. If you decide to install one, get a friend to help. There is much more work involved than you'd think installing two aluminum spacers. There is a lot of motor shifting to be done to line everything up correctly. Read the instructions first and get the tools you need before even starting. After the hard work was done, I was ready for my tires. I decided to go with 32x10.50x15 TSL Radial Super Swampers. Mine is a daily driver, so the radials were a must. They are closer to 33's with full tread. They also have some hum to them on the road, but not near as bad as regular Swampers.

Still very aggressive looking and performing

Pictures just don't do them justice

Last edited by Ironwind1972; 07-11-2009 at 12:24 PM..
Unread 07-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
Ironwind1972
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I also have the .75 pucks up front and some decent disco's. It's a work in progress as money allows. With all the lift and tires I gained around 7 inches total. I've barely had enough time to test her out yet. I played around some yesterday and was impressed with the flex of the 2.5 springs. The main bad thing about this kit is the poor powder coating. You no more than look at it and it starts to flake off, otherwise I'd recommend the kit for a good budget build. My transfer case wouldn't go into 4 low after everything was installed. After adding a lowering bracket, filing a linkage end, and bending one of the arms on the linkage, she shifts fine now.

As she sits now....

I usually am not one to take my top off, but I wanted to celebrate and give my wife something to enjoy too

I'm 6'5", the hood comes to my lower/mid chest area

I'm a sight see'er, so I want my jeep to be ready for anything, anywhere. I want to go where most can't and see things most don't. It's my home away from home. I always keep my recovery gear with me......ya never know where you'll end up.

Last edited by Ironwind1972; 07-11-2009 at 12:28 PM..
Unread 07-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

that jeep is sick. i have never seen a golden eagle edition before(if its even an edition) so whats next?
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor0770 View Post
that jeep is sick. i have never seen a golden eagle edition before(if its even an edition) so whats next?
Yea its an edition. It was 2006 only though so TJ owners could be more like us CJ owners. J/K

Nice build and reminds me on the Rubicon with the lift but we have a 4" and 33x10 Swamper MTs.

It is also nice that you found one with an eagle on the hood. That was a delete option and most people didnt get the eagle.
Unread 07-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
Ironwind1972
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCAT94 View Post
Yea its an edition. It was 2006 only though so TJ owners could be more like us CJ owners. J/K

Nice build and reminds me on the Rubicon with the lift but we have a 4" and 33x10 Swamper MTs.

It is also nice that you found one with an eagle on the hood. That was a delete option and most people didnt get the eagle.
You're right. We looked at a patriot blue Golden Eagle locally, her's didn't have the eagle on the hood. For some reason the blue just didn't sit well with me. I mainly got the Golden Eagle edition for the dana 44, but who knows, maybe it will be worth a bit more for being a special edition.
Unread 07-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #9
Ironwind1972
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor0770 View Post
Thanks! Hopefully...lockers. The 3.73's aren't too bad with the 32's, so I'll run them for a while. I'd like to get a stinger up front with a winch. I'm sure it will be a little here, a little there. How generous the wife is feeling will determine how much how soon....
Unread 07-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
eagleman06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nice jeep. I have the exact same one with a soft top. Your dash is a different color than mine tho.
eagleman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #11
jeepin ruby
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Lookin good I'm jealous. I USED to be proud owner of a G.E. Only mine didnt have the screamin chicken on the hood...

My build...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-01-xj-784959/
jeepin ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #12
OfficerOwl
2002 TJ Wrangler 

nice Jeep! I love the eagle decal on the hood.
[COLOR="Silver"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Silver Jeep Club member #136[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Ariona Jeep Club member #14[/COLOR][/FONT]
OfficerOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #13
Ironwind1972
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thought I'd add a few more pics. I've always been a hardtop kind of guy. I also think it looks much better with one.

Unread 07-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #14
06BeachJeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

nice jeep man i am doin the same thing as you probably order the lift kit next week
06BeachJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #15
Peej03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Its about time to see a golden eagle build.

I always said if i sold my jeep I would hunt for a eagle.. or maybe a sahara, I really like the eagle on the hood. lol when I find my dream cj5 I am slapping some eagle stickers on it

1982 CJ5 - RIP 9/3/12

1971 AMC Javelin
Peej03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.