Glockster's Rubihara Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Glockster's Rubihara Build

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 06-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Glockster's Rubihara Build

2005 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition(worlds longest vehicle title?)

So today I start my build thread. It won't be spectacular or even impressive but it will be what owning 2 previous Jeeps have taught me.

My 1st, 1997 TJ 4'' lift (pro Crap) and 33's. Deciding which wheel I like better:

I searched for months until I found this LJ. Drove 275 miles to Fresno, Ca. to pick it up.

So now I had 2; LJ with added MOAB's:

Well the 97 was sold and I quickly learned I hated the 4 speed auto in the LJ. When I started adding up the cost to re-gear it and do all that I wanted to it, I came to the realization that a rubicon might be a better choice for me.

Well, I won't bore you with the details except to say here is my thread on how the rubi came to be:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/my-lucky-day-718559/ I essentially got a regear, dana 44's F & R w/lockers, SYE and the 4:1 transfer case for $2K. That works for me. Oh, and I got a 6 speed manual trans.................which for me was priceless.

Here she is the weekend I brought her home:

About a month after I got the Rubi I messed with a rock and the rock won:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tangled-one-rock-741410/

I bought a stock exhaust from the local Jeep dealer for $203 and some Rancho shocks off craigslist for $50 and I was good to go. Remember, I said I was cheap.

This taught me I had to have a lift. I knew I wouldn't go long arm due to the fact I wouldn't be able to bring myself to cut off the lower control arm mounts. I mean they only made 1000 of these things. I decided I wanted a Rubicon Express short arm 4.5'' SF with 3.5'' springs. So many people spoke so highly of it, I had to have it.

I scoured the internet for the best price, talked to Jason at 4x4 group buy and dozens of others. When it came down to it, the lowest price I could find was 5 miles from my house.

The complete kit (w/adjustable lowers) delivered with all California taxes was $1100 + $275 for the monotubes. I added an adj rear trackbar & bracket for $180, upgraded to adjustable lower control arms & added a TW DS.

After I purchased the lift I came across a few threads bashing the RE bushings. There are a few threads around but I started my own here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/rubicon-express-bushings-768608/

Multiple e-mails later RE agreed to install there "NEW" bushings in my arms. I sent them back to RE and got them last Friday night with the new bushings installed. Time will tell if they are truely the "answer" to their bushing problems.

So the next decision was to install or have it installed. I've sent many PM's to members asking questions and I was ready to install it myself when I talked to a shop that had done some previous work on my 97. Seems everyone is hurting right now and they quoted $430 to install the lift, bleed the brakes, install the driveshaft and do a front end alignment. Well, I had back surgery 10 weeks ago and there was no way I was going to take a chance with my back over $430. Thursday AM it will be at their shop.

That's it for tonight. Next installment when I pick it up on Friday.

Peace......

Last edited by glockster; 08-28-2010 at 10:05 AM..
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Should look awesome! Never seen a Rubicon sahara before, let alone lifted. clever name for your build

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
INCA
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i wish i could afford that lift...but between Car note+insurance+Gas im going to have to stick with a BDS or Rc. cant wait to see yours with the lift
INCA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
Brads_nky_yj

What size/brand tires you going with after the lift? Cant wait to see what it looks like tho.
Unread 06-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads_nky_yj View Post
What size/brand tires you going with after the lift? Cant wait to see what it looks like tho.
With my back issues I can't go to high, that's why I stayed with the 3.5'' springs. Prolly nothing over 33's. 285/75/16(11.5'') or 305/75/16.(12.5'') The latter will require new wheels or at least spacers.

Unread 06-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
RVA_TJ06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

you should check out Project Long Red One...

My favorite LJ.. He kept it low.
Unread 06-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA_TJ06 View Post
you should check out Project Long Red One...

My favorite LJ.. He kept it low.

I'm familiar with that build. Nice Jeep. But it's not for me.

Not everyone is after the LCG thing. I'm certainly not. I would have went with 4.5'' springs and 35's in a heart beat if I could get in and out of it physically.

Unread 06-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got the Jeep loaded up with the lift this evening and low and behold the big brown truck showed up with my Hurst shift knob. Of course I had to put it on. I put the quadratec floor mats in a week ago.

Anybody got a spare radio knob hanging around the house?

Last edited by glockster; 06-14-2009 at 12:54 PM..
Unread 06-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #9
NiCk-
1998 XJ Cherokee 

$430 is a pretty good price. I got my kit installed for $400 but Im lucky that they quoted me that because it took longer than they thought due to shock mount breaking. Good deal

RC 4.5" with ADJ. Trac Bar
33" BFG All Terrains on Cragar Soft 8's
NiCk- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2009, 10:46 PM   #10
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Picked her up from the shop this afternoon.

Before:

after

Currently sitting 5" higher than stock all the way around. This with the Rubicon Express 3.5'' springs. Only time will tell how much it will settle.

The lower adj control arms are set at 16'' on center and this still leaves the rear axle slightly forward of being centered in the wheelwell. Here's a picture looking straight on at the rear opening:

Going to put some miles on it before I make any adjustments to the arms. The stock 31's are looking pretty minuscule.

Ride impressions. Very firm. I expected this, especially with only 20 miles on the suspension. Seems to follow the crown of the road more than it did. Took it up to 75 mph on the way home and not a vibe to be found. The TW driveshaft is awesome and the shop must have done a stellar job on the front end alignment. No complaints. Now just need to get out and flex it so it settles. It's pretty high, could probably fit 35's right now without a bodylift.

Last edited by glockster; 06-05-2009 at 10:59 PM..
Unread 06-05-2009, 11:00 PM   #11
INCA
2003 TJ Wrangler 

wow! it looks much better man! now with some tires you will be set i will be stalking this thread now
INCA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2009, 11:22 PM   #12
Jtrux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks great, i've wondered what the 3.5 inch lift looks like on an LJ, now I know. I'm like you though. The LCG thing doesn't do anything for me. I'm not into competitive rock crawling or anthing or hands down a 5 inch lift and 35's looks good!
Unread 06-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #13
xantasm
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looking very nice Marco, Im getting spacers next week on mine for now but Im deffinately looking forward to making mine have a simular profile. The lift I want is the Tera 4" short arm, and seeing yours is giving me a real good idea of what its gonna look like. Nice job and deffinately agree 6 speed is rockin. I agree with ya too on the limited edition thing. Ive never owned anything that was actually numbered and limited untill now. Just wouldnt feel right changing it so far that you couldnt bring it back to stock some day. Now all you need is to get some armor on that thing
Unread 06-06-2009, 12:03 AM   #14
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantasm View Post
Now all you need is to get some armor on that thing

Yep. I'm going to look at a Warn rear bumper tomorrow. It's at the shop I bought the lift from on a theft recovery jeep. Owner said $500, I said $300, owner said $450, I said $300, owner said $400 I said SOLD........

I'm thinking of the Body Armor Rock sliders. I like the way they attach to the body mounts. I don't know what the consensus is on that style but I don't want to drill holes in my tub. Plus, I can leave the stock rubicon diamond plate thingies on.

Unread 06-06-2009, 02:37 AM   #15
xantasm
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockster View Post
Yep. I'm going to look at a Warn rear bumper tomorrow. It's at the shop I bought the lift from on a theft recovery jeep. Owner said $500, I said $300, owner said $450, I said $300, owner said $400 I said SOLD........

I'm thinking of the Body Armor Rock sliders. I like the way they attach to the body mounts. I don't know what the consensus is on that style but I don't want to drill holes in my tub. Plus, I can leave the stock rubicon diamond plate thingies on.
Which version of warn bumper? If it aint got the tire carrier on it 500 is way too much. The standard Warn TJ bumper tire carrier ready sells for 380 at quadramall. Might even be able to beat that shopping around online.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12022_433_07.htm

I cant decide if I want to stay with the High Rock theme and just get one of them for the rear and weld on a tire carrier at some point or go with a warn. As far as side armor, I think the Olympic reversa bars are nice cause you can go step or side armor, plus you wont have to mess with your diamond plate rubi rockers:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13116_110X_PG.htm

Mine came with chrome nerf bars and since Im not going rock climbing anytime soon I'll live with em till I get the cash to go with the Olympic bars. Like you, I do not want to drill my tub just for side protection. Id much rather go with frame mounted, plus I think thats the stronger way to go anyways. Something about relying on the sheetmetal of the tub to withstand mounting plates just doesnt add up to me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.