GIJeepN: Tons, 40's, and Stretch - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 03-11-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
GIJOEL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

GIJeepN: Tons, 40's, and Stretch

Thought I ought to start one of these new-fangled build threads to document GIJeepN's transformation from mild-wheeler to.... well something else. lol

The plan is to give GIJeepN (my 1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport) some much needed upgrades and breathe some new life into her.

This includes:
Dana 60 front from a 2008 F350 w/ 5.38:1 gears and an ARB Air Locker 10.5"
Rear from a 2009 F350 w/ 5.38:1 gears and either a Detroit or ARB Locker
Fox 2.5" 14" Air Shocks
Klune-V under drive unit with 2.72:1 low range
40x13.50-17 TSL/SXII Tires on ProComp wheels with Staun internal beadlocks
3-4" or more front stretch
5-7" or more rear stretch
Full Hydraulic steering

What she looks like now. 35" Mickey Thompson Baja Claw tires, Dana 30 front axle with 4.56:1 gears and an ARB Locker, Dana 44 rear axle with 4.56:1 gears with a Detroit Locker, 4.5" lift provided by ProCom springs and rough country long arm upgrade kit, 4:1 low range with slip yoke eliminator kit, York on-board air system.

Axles

Removing all the brackets from the front axle

Test fitting the truss (Artec TJ 1Ton truss kit)

Welding the truss. I used an Eastwood MIG250 with .035" solid wire and C25 mix gas for the welding of the truss to the tubes and a Lotus 200amp TIG/Stick/Plasma with the Ni99 rods and an Air Hammer for the welding to the cast.

Welding axle tubes.

Got a shipment of new stuff on Friday.

4ea 40x13.50-17 TSL/SXII

I was originally going to go with the 47" LTB's but decided to save the 800 dollars (difference in tires) and put that toward the steering system.

They measure out at just under 38" unmounted and just under 40" tall (like 39 7/8") mounted with 65psig in them.

Joel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 03-11-2017, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
GIJOEL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Last weekend was all about getting two tires mounted. I called 4 places on Saturday to get them mounted, three of them told me they couldn't do it due to their equipment being too small, and one told me they could do it, but not until Thursday of this week.

So, I called up and old high school buddy of mine (Paul, he owns R&R Auto and Marine in Chino, Ca) and asked if his shop could mount the tires. He told me to come on down and he'd get it done. Should have called him sooner. :grinpimp:.

2 hours later I was at home with two tires mounted and working on getting the other two rims modified to use the Staun Internal Beadlocks.

I mounted up the Staun's with out the tires on them to see if the tubes held air and that everything would work out correctly and checked them on Saturday
post #3 of 40 Old 03-11-2017, 10:18 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Why air shocks? Not a good option IMO. Personally, I'd be thinking at least the remote reservoirs for a build like this, but if not then just the smooth bodys.

What width are you running the axles at?

post #4 of 40 Old 03-11-2017, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
GIJOEL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I went with Air Shocks because they were cheap. If at a later date I find they aren't working out for my weekend wheeling I'll upgrade to coil overs. The air shocks were 200 for the set.

I'm running the axles full width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 40 Old 03-11-2017, 11:25 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJOEL View Post
I went with Air Shocks because they were cheap. If at a later date I find they aren't working out for my weekend wheeling I'll upgrade to coil overs. The air shocks were 200 for the set.

I'm running the axles full width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is cheap for the shocks. Good luck with them. For trail only, go slow they might be tolerable. But for any sort of speed I doubt you'll be happy.
post #6 of 40 Old 03-12-2017, 11:25 PM
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am on the downward slope of finishing my Artec 1 ton swap and stretch. I have kept a pretty good build thread. Just ask if you have any questions.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...-40-s-3908602/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 40 Old 03-14-2017, 03:12 PM
pcoplin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The airshocks in 2.5s will surprise you. We run quad bypass airs on the front of our 4800 car.

FullStack MotorSports
post #8 of 40 Old 03-14-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
GIJOEL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
For trail only, go slow they might be tolerable
I'm building this to go slow. Right now I have planned the 5.36:1 gears (although I will most likely be using the 4.30's that came in the axles for a bit), with the 4.0 Low range gears and a Klune-V under drive of 2.72:1 I'm looking at a 224:1 crawl ratio. If I had the funds I would pony up for an Atlas box with super low gears. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgerstandtx View Post
I am on the downward slope of finishing my Artec 1 ton swap and stretch. I have kept a pretty good build thread. Just ask if you have any questions
I've been following your progress, You are really making it look easy. So I will be hitting you up when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoplin View Post
The airshocks in 2.5s will surprise you. We run quad bypass airs on the front of our 4800 car.
I'm hoping so. I'm also debating on adding a reservoir to them but I'm not sure if I want to pony up the funds.

So on to the updates.

Due to the heat (it was 108 here this weekend) I didn't want to be outside welding so I stayed in the barn and worked on modifying the rims.

I installed the Staun Inner Airlocks and want to use some "7241 Series B Interchange" Quick Disconnects. These will allow VERY rapid air ups and downs of the tires.

Unfortunately, I am going to have to drill another hole for them because of where the valve stem currently located is too close to where the Weld-In Beadlocks ring will go. So I will have three valve stems (1ea for the Staun Inner tube, 1ea for the Quick Disconnect, and 1ea regular tire valve stem). lol.

I'm almost at the point that I can purchase the Steering System. I'm looking at getting the TJ PSC 2.75" kit from Artec Industries with their Dana 60 ram mount. The only issue is whether or not I should wait and get the High Steer Knuckles or get the high steer kit from Hired Gun Offroad. I like the knuckle option as it will most likely be a stronger option, however, it is quite a bit more expensive.
post #9 of 40 Old 03-22-2017, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
GIJOEL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I haven't gotten much done on GIJeepN in the last few weeks. I got some Weld-On beadlocks ordered from AtoZ Fabrication that will be here on the 25th So, I need to get the tires dismounted so I can modify the two remaining wheels for the Staun Internal Beadlock then set them up for welding on the outer beadlock.

on the axles, I still need the steering system and ram mount (should have enough for them next month). We'll see.

One question I have is how much should I sell the current axles and wheel/tires for?

Rear Axle: Stock D44 with a Detriot Locker and 4.56:1 gears
Front Axle: Stock D30 with an ARB Locker 4.56:1 gears and new shafts and unit bearings
Tires: 5ea 35x12.5-15 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws (1ea New (purchased in Oct 2016 after running Sledge Hammer), 1ea with 1 run on it (purchased last summer and ram Sledge Hammer with it), and 3ea 7 years old))
Wheels: 15x10 32 bolt Eaton Beadlocks
Currie CorrectLynk Steering with a slightly bent draglink

Joel

post #10 of 40 Old 03-23-2017, 12:11 PM
hulud44
Fish Monger

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Following. For the Air shocks, you may wanna consider 2.0s instead of the 2.5s. TJs just don't have the mass for the larger shocks. IM running 2.0 and they re more then enough

Currently under heavy construction…..

NYC Jeep Club

post #11 of 40 Old 03-23-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
GIJOEL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulud44 View Post
Following. For the Air shocks, you may wanna consider 2.0s instead of the 2.5s. TJs just don't have the mass for the larger shocks. IM running 2.0 and they re more then enough
There were two factors that went into me getting the 2.5's over the 2.0's

First: Fox 2.0 Air Shocks are rated at 500lbs of weight. My Jeep is 4400lbs ready for the trail. Minus the axles, tires and wheels and you come up with roughly 3500lbs unsprung weight. Plus my build plan is going to add Full Corner guards, Tube Fenders, and a Full Weld in cage that will add weight to GIJeepN, so that pointed me at the Fox 2.5's or Sway-A-Way 2.0's (Sway-A-Way 2.0's are rated at 1000lbs).

Second: I got one hell of a deal buying the Fox 2.5's used. They just needed Schrader Valves.

Joel

post #12 of 40 Old 03-23-2017, 10:53 PM
pcoplin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

2.0s aren't near enough air shock for a TJ. Or any full bodied rig.

FullStack MotorSports
post #13 of 40 Old 03-24-2017, 11:21 AM
hulud44
Fish Monger

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

For ballin through the desert? No… Id want something stronger. But crawlers, everyone I know all over the NE runs 2.0s. One guy runs 18" 2.5s but thats on a FS Chevy/toda buggy. Ive only seen 1 2.0 bend but that was due to link brackets failing and the axle folding under the Jeep.

Currently under heavy construction…..

NYC Jeep Club

post #14 of 40 Old 03-24-2017, 05:10 PM
jason m
Nothing but the facts

Quote:
For a offroad rig 2.0's work great for me and several other rigs I wheel with. For anything seeing speed or street use yes I agree 2.5's are they way to go.

Jason.

1993 YJ 4.0 60 Front, Rear steer 60, bolth spooled, 5.38's, 700r/241 39.5 iroks and beating it like it owes me money.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt...

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

post #15 of 40 Old 03-24-2017, 07:38 PM
pcoplin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
For a offroad rig 2.0's work great for me and several other rigs I wheel with. For anything seeing speed or street use yes I agree 2.5's are they way to go.

Jason.

Not to derail this thread, but how can a shock not be good on the street, where there are no bumps, yet be good offroad?

You have to run them at max oil and very high pressure to get any performance out of them. They just don't have enough displacement internally for the weight.

They are inexpensive, I get it, but you can't tell me they are great performers in any way. Those who run them on heavy crawlers that say they are great, have not ran 2.5s before.

FullStack MotorSports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.