"Get your damn Jeep" Build thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Get your damn Jeep" Build thread

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
Toedwy
2000 XJ Cherokee 

"Get your damn Jeep" Build thread

I by no means have anything special, just thought it would be nice to have something to look back at when I win the mega millions. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned that I like, my wife finally broke down and said "fine get the damn jeep" hence the name of the thread.

First off, I bought a 99 xj sport for 2400 from a retired chief. 140k miles, right driver window needs a new regulator, a few minor scratches. Engine had trouble turning over at first so I replaced oil filter, gave it a change, ran some fuel injector cleaner through it, and replaced the spark plugs. Works like a freaking champ.

I had $500 and of course my first step was wheels and lift. Got 5 30in. a/t's barely used on the rims for 300$ and a barely used skyjacker 3in. lift for $200. God I love craigslist.

I have limited cash therefore limited tools. Fortunately I have access to lots of cool stuff, being in the military, such as the auto hobby shop! The one on norfolk base is 3 dollars an hour and they have all the tools you can think of (and lifts), you just have to get done with your project by the time they close.

Sooo we had about 7 hours to get this lift on, but we kept running into problems..

Lost the lower arm bolt somehow...

Didn't have the bracket for the track bar...

The incredible hulk put this lugnut on....

But my son did work diligently to get it done in time, with no sucess...

The end product... don't laught too hard...

Yep....a front lifted xj with one jeep tire haha. Ordered the bracket, it's coming in tomorrow, and saturday we should be able to finish my little project.

Wishfull thinking:
Safari rack
Bumper+winch
8.8 swap
bigger tires
Wow just realized how broke I am, gonna be a sloooooooow one.

Last edited by NaeKid; 06-29-2010 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: Moderator: Approved post
Toedwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Toedwy
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Got the bracket.....didn't realize you had to drill a hole to get it on. Well looks like im waiting to go to the hobby shop again....
Unread 06-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
littledevilTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

hobby shop for what? You didnt drive the jeep with that tracbar like that did you????

Florida Specific Forum
www.floridajeepers.net
littledevilTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
Cherokee-at-16
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My friend used to live up in Berlin, CT and he said that there was a ton a jeeps half lifted up there, That the people were to poor to do both at once(whether the poor part is true i dont know) but its really not that rare.
Cherokee-at-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
my1979impala
2000 TJ Wrangler 

looks like your having fun. your son seems to be enjoying the new jeep too.

yea the bracket requires drilling one little hole. btw how much did you pay for your bracket? i need either one of those or a new track bar.
Unread 06-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
my1979impala
2000 TJ Wrangler 

oh yea btw theres an xj driving around boone with about 3 inch lift in the back and front stock

and as long as he didnt go far or fast its not that big of a deal with the track bar. mines held in with a nail right now and i push it all around my driveway
Unread 07-01-2010, 04:02 AM   #7
Toedwy
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledevilTJ View Post
hobby shop for what? You didnt drive the jeep with that tracbar like that did you????
I don't have the tools to fix it at base housing where I currently reside. It's an auto hobby shop with any tool you can think of, I only live about 2 miles away from base so I just drove real slow, only got "death wobble" once and yes it scared the crap out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1979impala View Post
looks like your having fun. your son seems to be enjoying the new jeep too.

yea the bracket requires drilling one little hole. btw how much did you pay for your bracket? i need either one of those or a new track bar.
I paid about 29.00 with free 2 day shipping for trying a trial of amazon prime (which I cancelled right after I ordered it). Its item JTBF I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee-at-16 View Post
My friend used to live up in Berlin, CT and he said that there was a ton a jeeps half lifted up there, That the people were to poor to do both at once(whether the poor part is true i dont know) but its really not that rare.
Oh wow even if I didn't have much money I still think I would just save up so my jeep didn't look goofy.

Once again craigslist came through....got this rack for 20 bucks from some woman, unbolted the little mounts off it, now im gonna just spray some u-bolts black and mount it to my rails. Not a bad little rack until I have cash to get a real one. 3 day weekend coming up so hopefully I can fix all this stuff!!!

Unread 07-01-2010, 04:35 AM   #8
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Half the fun of having a Jeep, is working on it and experiences around it/because of it.

If nothing else, you have a funny story for later because of the half lifted Jeep with a single Jeep tire with a lug nut the hulk put on
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 04:36 AM   #9
Toedwy
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
Half the fun of having a Jeep, is working on it and experiences around it/because of it.

If nothing else, you have a funny story for later because of the half lifted Jeep with a single Jeep tire with a lug nut the hulk put on
All too true haha
Unread 07-01-2010, 04:57 AM   #10
Toedwy
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just put 10 dollars on pokerstars so maybe I can make me a little build money
Unread 07-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
Toedwy
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Alright so we got to the hobby shop at 10am, didn't leave till 5pm. Ran into more problems...

Of course the lugnut, turned out it was originally crossthreaded on their with an impact wrench so we had to drill and chisel it out....

and of course all 4 bolts in the rear shock mount brackets would break right off..

For that I might have to actually drill it out, go in from the inside of the jeep and just nut and bolt the shocks onto the mount (we broke a screw extraction bit off in 2 of them too.) Im guessing it's all the salt in the air where we live that's extra rusted everything. Stupid norfolk.
So now im rolling around in a jeep with no shocks until I can drill them out. Oh and both center leaf spring screws broke, had to make a hardware store run for them but finally got my add a leafs on so the rear matches the front. Think I might add some blocks to the back though, it's slightly lower.
End product:

Also painted the hardware for putting my little rack on so that might go on tomorrow.
Unread 07-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #12
my1979impala
2000 TJ Wrangler 

get longer shackels insted of blocks
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #13
Toedwy
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Talked to some guy today about his same year, same skyjacker add a leaf kit who got his done at Eastern off road something or another around here and they charged him $2000!!! Jeeeeeesus.

Why shackles instead of blocks?
Unread 07-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #14
my1979impala
2000 TJ Wrangler 

blocks seem to be the devil. it adds stress to the leafs and can cause them to wrap, kinda into an "s" shape, or it can cause them to break. from what ive read its not too bad on 1" blocks but in my opinion its just as easy to get some lift shackels
Unread 07-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #15
highlander4x4
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Join one of the local Jeep clubs man. There are plenty around here. Virginia Beach Jeeps Offroad, NOBS just jeeps and KMA. The first two are on meetup.com and kma has a website KMA Off Road Jeep Club

Eastern is expensive. Get to know the clubs and most having wrenching days and can lend a hand.
highlander4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.