The "Get Me By" MJ Truggy - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The "Get Me By" MJ Truggy

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 03-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #61
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

more...

cgmrdc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #62
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

Unread 03-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #63
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I've been watching this for a little while, and ... not that I don't think it's an awesome build, but I'm starting to wonder what the point is. No offense intended, but it feels like one of those builds that ends up where the only thing left that's actually part of the original Jeep is a dash and floorpan... at which point, I ask why bother cutting up a perfectly good donor MJ, when XJ's are soooo much more plentiful. Or better yet, why not just build the buggy in the first place, and not cut up an MJ? In my area those things are hard to find.

Is it at least going to have some Jeep skin on it at the end of the show? Just curious.

XJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #64
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJNKY View Post
I've been watching this for a little while, and ... not that I don't think it's an awesome build, but I'm starting to wonder what the point is. No offense intended, but it feels like one of those builds that ends up where the only thing left that's actually part of the original Jeep is a dash and floorpan... at which point, I ask why bother cutting up a perfectly good donor MJ, when XJ's are soooo much more plentiful. Or better yet, why not just build the buggy in the first place, and not cut up an MJ? In my area those things are hard to find.

Is it at least going to have some Jeep skin on it at the end of the show? Just curious.

Trust me, its been asked many times... So originally when i sold my jeep a year and a half ago the plan was to build a buggy. but after a career change and move to TX i was left with out a shop. and as you can see my alternative was very limited in space. I decided it would be easier and faster to build off an existing platform bc i was getting really tired of driving all the way back to MO to just ride along with friends. So i started looking for a cheep jeep to build off of and always thought building an MJ truggy would be cool. Found this one for 500 bucks, yeah it was in darn near perfect shape, but it was a police impound and had a bad title so trying to resell or license wasnt really worth it. XJs are everywhere, and everyone builds them... i dont want to build just any old trail rig and wanted to utilize all the parts i had collected for the buggy. and the more i got into it the more i remembered why i sold my last jeep to build a buggy, and now im left with what i got. yeah at this point i may as well have but my unwillingness to sacrifice the capability i was trying to achieve turned into not much MJ left... whatever... oh well... with all the parts i got rid of i made money on the initial purchase. lesson learned, in order to build a jeep thats as capable as a buggy with all the same components means basically getting rid of the jeep... itll still be really cool when its done, itll do the things i want it to do and it will hold up to many years of wheeling.
Unread 03-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #65
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That's a perfectly legitimate answer, and what I suspected. I still cry a little bit inside every time I see an MJ hacked down to a dashboard though... I'd love to have a clean one to build as a DD, but like I said, there aren't too many of them floating around in my area.

Cheers.
Unread 03-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #66
janesy86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That is f**k'n awesome! Nice work so far and looking forward to watching this build!

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
janesy86 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #67
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Coolest mj ever. Please keep going and posting
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:08 AM   #68
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by janesy86 View Post
That is f**k'n awesome! Nice work so far and looking forward to watching this build!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Coolest mj ever. Please keep going and posting
Thanks

got some time in this evening after work

side protection

dash bar

mis bent the a pillars and they ended up being perfect for how i wanted my door bar so went ahead and threw one on tonight
Unread 03-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #69
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Forget the haters it's looking good so far. Are you going to cut the roof to match the roll cage? Angry roof too match the angry cage and graft it into the cage.

Oh and the old TJ is getting a rear d60 soonish.
TechJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #70
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

The original plan was to graft the roof back on to the cage but the stock sheet metal sucks, even with the TIG it's a pita... And I work with thin sheet metal all day long... I'm going to fill in a couple places with some 12 ga, but most of it is going to stay open. Now that I've got the cage design locked down I don't really want to cover it up ya know?
Unread 03-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #71
chriswj

I agree i think u should cut the a pillers off the roof and atleast maybe just try to graph the roof inside of the role cage i think it would look kind of cool
Unread 03-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #72
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

Would look cool, and that's what I had originally planned on doing.

Gf was in town for a couple of days so last night we went out and tinkered a little.

Unread 03-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #73
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswj View Post
i agree i think u should cut the a pillers off the roof and atleast maybe just try to graph the roof inside of the role cage i think it would look kind of cool
x2
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #74
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

This is the inside of the roof, in order to graft it onto the tube I'd have to remove all the bracing, cut it up, grand all the paint off and the stuff is only like 24 gauge. The roof bubbles and doesn't match the shape of the tube. Plus I'd have to build a filler peice to come down and fill the brow. Again, that's what I originally planned on doing but it's not worth the work. When it's done, if I decide I want a roof, I'll build a new one out of new sheet. But I love wheeling an open top rig so I doubt it is going to happen...
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #75
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmrdc View Post
Again, that's what I originally planned on doing but it's not worth the work. When it's done, if I decide I want a roof, I'll build a new one out of new sheet. But I love wheeling an open top rig so I doubt it is going to happen...
Not trying to harass your point, but I think it'd look awesome with a roof that matched the tube lines, but I understand the topless appeal too. What about a removable (pinned on) roof section? or maybe just a custom sailcloth top that snapped onto the roll bar. That would be awesome, and you could fold it up and store it, or roll it back and tie it.

Just a thought. I'm sure at some point you're going to want a roof for something, whether it's shade, rain, or flying mud, right? Idk what you're wheeling environment is like there, I'll go sit in my corner now...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.