gearit's TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > gearit's TJ

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
gearit
2001 TJ Wrangler 

gearit's TJ

First off, Hi all!

I am finally a happy new Jeep owner

I'm starting this thread mainly to document projects for future reference and hopefully receive some feedback/advice from experienced Jeep owners as I go along

So anyway, I am now the proud owner of an '01 Wrangler TJ. Here she is when I first got her:

5/28/15

The good:
4.0L I6, 5spd manual, low miles, everything works, very minimal rust (which is rare here), 4" Skyjacker lift + 1" body lift, rhino-lined tub, 35" tires, appears to be maintained well.

The bad:
Shoddy work on the rhino-lining, will need redone.
Missing some parts like drain plugs, rear seat brackets.
Stinger/spare tire holder tubing work is shoddy and will need to be redone.
Stock axles and 3.07 gears with 35's

My first project will be a Ford 8.8" rear axle upgrade and 4.88 gears. Taking it real easy on her in the meantime

gearit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
gearit
2001 TJ Wrangler 

5/30/15
Found rear seat brackets, rear seat female buckle and drain plugs at salvage yard for $80. Rear seat is now installed so kids can ride along
Unread 06-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
gearit
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I found the perfect 8.8" on Craigslist for $300 and I drove 300 miles round trip yesterday to get it. It came out of a 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer edition; 31 spline, disk brakes, LSD carrier and 4.10 gears.

I am not sure what I am going to do on the front yet. Buy a new carrier and 4.10 gears to match the 8.8? Buy a new carrier for front and swap R&P to 4.88 front and rear? Find a 4.10 front axle? Ultimately I want 4.88, so I will probably just pony up and pay a shop to swap both R&P. The price of the tools to do it myself is not cheap.

6/5/15

I also ordered Artec 8.8 swap kit with truss, some IGGEE seat covers and a 7" bulleted fender flare kit! =D
Posture is already improving due to lighter wallet since buying Jeep
Unread 06-23-2015, 12:32 AM   #4
gearit
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Seat covers and fender flares are on. Tip for others installing new fender flares on a TJ: buy this, these and these before you even attempt it; you're welcome. All but three of the stock nutserts just spun in the hole.
Did some prep on the axle, removed hardware and pressure washed it. Turns out my dad has had an 8.8 axle sitting in his yard all along.. in a wrecked '97 Mountaineer.. it has disk brakes and 3.73 gears. He said I could have it, so I will steal the flange adapter and parking brake hardware off of it and sell the rest.
Definitely going to upgrade the sound system; the sub in the center console is not working and the system is pretty weak in general; removed the center console and got the old sub out, now to find a good replacement. Also deciding whether or not to run the stock amp or just go with after market setup. Leaning toward after market; I'm no audiophile but when I do listen to my music I like it to sound good.
Did an oil change and some cleaning. Pics coming soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.