GCJEEPING's Build/Mod thread-It's a green thing - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > GCJEEPING's Build/Mod thread-It's a green thing

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #31
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Used my plasma cutter for the first time today. Made the plate for the tire holder. Cuts like butter, but you need a steady hand.

gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #32
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Did a little more welding and test fitting. Will weld a few more braces/gussets tomorrow.

Unread 11-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #33
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Well finally tire carried almost done and back on.

Primed and painted the parts. Used rubberized under coating on the parts where the gas cans sit as well as the bottoms of the plates that hold the cans down.

Made the hold downs for the cans. Welded a piece of pipe to the tops of the all thread to use as handles. The cut a piece of rod to go through handles with a washer welded at one end and a hole for a lock at the other.

Unread 11-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #34
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Made the latch spring loaded like the locked open one. Also made it auto locking by building an angled piece to push the pin up.

Incorporated the receiver into the bottom support. Did a root and two cover passes on all attaching points. Also added 6 gussets to another cross member for extra support. Then cut a 1/4 plate piece for safety chain connection.

Put the high lift on. Think I'll get a 48" one. The 60" sticks out some.

Finally all together.

Unread 11-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #35
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Onto finish the tank lift.

Got everything cut. Wire wheeled it and gave it a coat of primer, rubberized undercoating and satin black paint. Put the tank back into the skid.

Cut a couple holes in the uniframe for the hoses. Welded in a couple pieces of exhaust tube. Primed, rubberized coating and painted.

Tank in. Also replaced the fuel filter since it was right there.

Just gotta make the cover now.
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #36
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Tried to take somethings home from a cruise-in Friday night.

Unread 11-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #37
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Put a Wrangler gas filler panel on. Was a freebee.

Unread 11-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #38
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Played her a little rough last weekend. Finally took out the front axle shafts on the last day of wheeling. After over 11 years they lasted well. Already putting the new parts in. Also decided to replace the hubs since I was at.

Unread 11-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #39
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Well after a good wheeling trip a couple weeks ago I felt that my old battery was on its last leg. So I decided go dual like theksmith but keep mine up front. He liked my spare tire well mod so I figure I'd copy his dual battery mod.

Started with 2 group 34/78 Diehard Platinum. 850 CCA, 135 Minutes of reserve capacity, AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) construction, 4 year free replacement and 10 year prorated.

Blue Sea ACR as my isolator/combiner. LINK

Old battery and fuse block moved out of the way.

Battery tray in work. Staggered the batteries to clear the hood. It will bolt to all the original battery tray locations.

Batteries test fitted in tray. I built a lip for each of the batteries that the bottoms will slip into. Will build a top hold down later.

Tray and batteries test fitted in the jeep. Will need to notch the braces in the hood in two places slightly to clear one of the posts and front pass side of front battery.

New location for fuse block. Will build bracket for it later.

Tray painted and installed.

Isolator mounted to the top of the fuse box.

Batteries and isolator installed. Hold down installed. Used 1/0 wire for the winch and from the batteries to the isolator. Kept the 4 gauge from the original wiring for the rest. Also upgraded to 2 gauge wire for from the Mean Green alt to the battery.

Finished product. Only thing left is running the switch for the isolator into the cab. Fired it up and everything worked as advertised. Not much room left in the engine bay for many more mods.

Unread 11-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #40
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Decided to take the old Wrangle skid plate off the WJ and build a new one. Found a little mud up on it. It served its purpose for 7 years and was free to start with.

Found lots of mud after the last wheeling trip.

Also went to a offroad event on sat and won this in their raffle.

Unread 11-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #41
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Got tired of looking at the bare spots under the headlights where I trimmed the bumper. So I made a couple pieces to cover it up. Cut a piece of sheet metal to bolt on first then bent and cut some scrap tube to finish it off.

Before...

sheet metal on...

tube on...

Unread 11-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #42
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Started plating the bottom of the Jeep. Got to play with the plasma too. Started with the space between the uniframe and the pinch seam. Just gotta paint it now.

Unread 11-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #43
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Built a harness bar for my 4 point harness. Its attached with 3 bolts into the into the pinch seam and 3 into the B pillar. 1/4 plate on the sides and 1 1/2 thick wall tube. Think I might make a hoop to go up and over the seats too. Will put padding on the harness tube next so the back seaters wont smack it.

Unread 11-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #44
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Finally got around to swapping in the 242HD.

Wont bore everyone with details since TC swaps have been covered on here in detail.

Took about 4 hours to swap it including lunch. Had to swap out the input shafts which took about an hour. Everything looked good. Hardly anything on the magnets so that was good.

Had to swap out the studs from the LD to the HD that mount the TC because the HD were longer and you couldnt get a couple of the nuts on after you installed it.

Rebuilt the V8 drive shaft with greasable joints, wire wheeled it down and painted. It fit perfect after the TC was installed. Took it out for a spin when I was done. Got it up to 80 on the freeway with no vibes. Then to a field and ran it in all the TC selections and worked fine.

Here are some pics.

The TC's. You can see the longer input shaft on the V8 TC (the clean one on the left)

Tearing down

All put back together with input shafts swapped

Installed

Old 242LD with V8 shaft installed

Unread 11-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #45
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Decided to ditch the YJ skid plate and build a new belly skid and trans support.

The skid is 1/4" plate with 2"x1" 1/4" U chanel and the trans support is 2"x4" 1/4".

2x4 cut to length and all holes drilled in it.

Notched out were trans mount goes since if I dont the top of it hits tunnel. Dropped it an 1 3/4" ish. The piece I cut out with the plasma I flipped over and welded in the cutout.

Welded U channel to front and back of trans mount to mount the skid too.

Cut Plate with plasma. Used the U channel as a guide.

Welded little lips on back of skid.

Pic of finished trans mount.

Mostly finished skid

Ended up having to cut a square out under the TC since it was hitting the skid. Cut a small square out. Welded 1/4" 1 1/2" angle iron to the front and rear of the opening. Then welded 1/4" plate between the angle iron and a smaller piece of 1/4" plate to that. So there is 1/2" right under the very bottom of the TC. Then added 1/4" uprights to support the sides.

There is 2 more U channel pieces running across the center and rear of the skid.

All said and done gained overall 4" of clearance.

Old TJ skid installed. It served its purpose well and got beat to hell.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.