GCJEEPING's Build/Mod thread-It's a green thing - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > GCJEEPING's Build/Mod thread-It's a green thing

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Finished trimming the front fenders. Also took the rock rails off to shorten and clean them because of the fender trim. Also trimmed up higher under the front headlights. Now the bumper will get done and I will build out of the rockrails also.

gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #17
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Got the rock rails stripped down. Cut about 3 inches off. Welded new ends and welded all the screw holes since I'll be drilling and tapping new ones. Applied a good coat of self etching rusty metal primer and have two coats of Rustoleum rust preventative black. Tomorrow I'll put them back on and work on the bumper. Also couple pics of my messy garage.

My home made welding cart. Holds my mig Lincoln 180 (220V), mig Chicago electric 90 (110V) and my Longevity plasma cutter (220/110V).

The messy garage.

Unread 11-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #18
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Finished repainting the rock rails. Drilled and tapped them to mount back up. All back on now. Should hold up for another 5 years or so I hope.

Unread 11-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #19
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Got my JD2 model 3 bender. Made a stand for it. They wanted 135 + shipping but built mine for 15. Also picked up a 8 ton air ram for 45 that I'm gunna mount to it tomorrow.

The scrap metal place here has good deals on scrap so i got two 10' 1 1/2 thick wall DOM tube for 25 bucks. Gunna make extensions for the sliders to start with.

Unread 11-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #20
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Well finally got back to working on the Jeep. Worked on ZJ washer bottle, coolant bottle relocation and snorkel. Ill clean all the wiring up later.

I took out the old air box and put a ZJ washer bottle in and moved the coolant bottle in its place. Swapped out the washer pumps and low level float. Also had to run the coolant sensor wiring around to the new location. The coolant bottle almost bolted right in but, had to make a couple brackets for the washer bottle.

The snorkel is all junk yard parts except for two poly elbows. I used a 9? 4.0 Ranger air box. Cut the back half off to shorten it down. Used a whole 3" hole saw to cut through everything. The only thing I have left to do is make the pipe to go up the windshield. Will work on that tomorrow. Also need to put a nipple in for the CCV. Used some vacuum hose to finish off the hole in the fender. The only thing is the air box goes over the dip sticks but, thats not really a problem. Only takes a sec to move the air boxe to check the levels.

Unread 11-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #21
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Unread 11-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #22
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Finished the snorkel. Have about 40 bucks into it. Even snagged a cool intake for the top from the pick n pull. Got it out of a late 90s dodge van.

Unread 11-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #23
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Found some old gutter mess and made a screen for the snorkel. Thanks for the advice.

Unread 11-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #24
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Finished my slider extensions.

Unread 11-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #25
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Hit the JY up the other day and picked up a few odds and ends. Got a pair of a-pillar grab handles, a center console lower cubby w/heated seat switches and a light switch stalk w/fog lamp switch for 30 bucks.

Put the grab handles on and found out that they must have changed style at some point. The new ones were about an inch short on top. So I just cut an inch and a half off the old ones to fill the gap. Used nylon type nutserts to attach the handles. When done pull my 270lb but in with them and they held. So good to go. They had another set there but they were a light color and the ones i grabbed were grey, slightly lighter than my interior.

Old ones

New ones installed

Swapped out the Light switch stalk-one screw on bottom of cover, pried upper and lower covers apart, removed 2 screws from stalk and disconnected connector. Then swapped out stalk and reinstalled all. Also had to put a mini relay in the fuse block. Test light in fog plug under bumper and worked as advertised. The only other thing is the new stalk has "auto" setting. So next trip to the JY i'll be looking for the sensor that goes up on the dash. WJJEEPS.com has a section on install.

Havnt put the cubby in yet.
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #26
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Got the spare tire well cleaned out and cut out for tank tuck. Tons of mud and dirt on top of the tank. Looks like i'll rust busting to do on the tank straps and skid. Also have a couple bid dents to pound out. Hitch has some rust too. Will get that cleaned up and ready to sell. Also will be putting on anti seize on all bolts.

Good time to replace the fuel filter too.

Unread 11-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #27
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Alright kitchen remodel done. Back to work on the jeep.

Got the supports cut and drilled. Spindle support welded on and 2x4 cut and welded onto supports.

Also started rust busting the gas tank skid. Drilled out he spot welds and separated the brackets from the skid. Lots of rust between them. Will weld them back together when I shorten the skid. The hold down straps were rusted pretty bad. Wire brushed them and metal etch primed them and put several layers of Rustoleum on them.

Pressure washed the tank to get the mud and dirt off.

Unread 11-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #28
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Got a little more done on the bumper before I had to go help a friend work on his car.

Unread 11-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #29
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Made the stop for the carrier. Kinda like dcdriller used on his. I added piece to stop from pulling the pin too far up also.

Unread 11-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #30
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Got the hoop done for the spare tire carrier and supports for the gas cans. Gotta run to the scrap yard tomorrow and get a 1 1/2 x ? for the tire support. Also see if they have any round plate laying around. If not I'll cut a triangle from the 1/4 plate I have.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.