1992 Yj 4.0 5spd
In 2003 I bought for $3,900 with 105,000 mi.s. Very stock. Currently has126,000 miles now and runs better than when I bought it.
Goal was to just replace/upgrade components as needed. I wanted a practical/capable Jeep in the realm of a "Stage 2" that had a modest upgraded look. Cool thing is my Jeep was blacked out before the Call of Duty video game made it popular.
-A good investment considering resale and service. About $7K-$7.5K total invested and possible $4.5K-5K resale. $1.5K-$2.5K cost of ownership over 10year span.
-Chilton Manual horribly wrong specifiying GL5 gear lube for the transmission (synchos gone in a year)
-Check better for rust on a Northeast Vehicle- Thankfully all very repairable.
-They are pretty capable offroad even with a tired suspension and mediocre tires.
-Still fun and blast to own
Order of repair, replace, and/or upgrade:
1. Transmission- after synchros went found TJ AX15 40K miles
2. Repaired rusted-out skid plate frame bolt inserts and some tub rust. metal replaced with metal
3. Dynamax exhaust added.
4. Replace wasted seats with Bestop. ( not the best vinyl quality but sit well)
5. Sending unit, fuel pump, and exhaust manifold replaced.
6. Replaced pitted aluminum wheels with OEM steel painted black
7. Put the last set of Bridgestones I will ever buy(APT 235/75 r15). Wear very fast. Got about 20K of light use from them.
8. Sprayed interior with Duplicolor bedliner spray.
9. Fabricated light bar and installed Hella 500
10. Fabricated diamond plate body guards.
9. Bought hardtop and full doors. Roll-up windows!!!!
10. Installed 2" 4wheelhardware lift and 1" greasable shackles.
Re-painted faded display needles red.
11. Installed 31x10.50 R15 Cooper AT3 (awesome ride and more aggressive look than most AT tires I considered). Not too big but easy on the powertrain and fuel mileage.
Other upgrade is the sound- Alpine Mechless with 6x9- Planet Audio Amp 100watts? and dash mounted 4x6 powered from the dech.