FWIW-11 year Refurb and Upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > FWIW-11 year Refurb and Upgrade

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
Turp
1992 YJ Wrangler 

FWIW-11 year Refurb and Upgrade

1992 Yj 4.0 5spd

In 2003 I bought for $3,900 with 105,000 mi.s. Very stock. Currently has126,000 miles now and runs better than when I bought it.

Goal was to just replace/upgrade components as needed. I wanted a practical/capable Jeep in the realm of a "Stage 2" that had a modest upgraded look. Cool thing is my Jeep was blacked out before the Call of Duty video game made it popular.

Lessons learned-
-A good investment considering resale and service. About $7K-$7.5K total invested and possible $4.5K-5K resale. $1.5K-$2.5K cost of ownership over 10year span.
-Chilton Manual horribly wrong specifiying GL5 gear lube for the transmission (synchos gone in a year)
-Check better for rust on a Northeast Vehicle- Thankfully all very repairable.
-They are pretty capable offroad even with a tired suspension and mediocre tires.
-Still fun and blast to own

Order of repair, replace, and/or upgrade:
1. Transmission- after synchros went found TJ AX15 40K miles
2. Repaired rusted-out skid plate frame bolt inserts and some tub rust. metal replaced with metal
3. Dynamax exhaust added.
4. Replace wasted seats with Bestop. ( not the best vinyl quality but sit well)
5. Sending unit, fuel pump, and exhaust manifold replaced.
6. Replaced pitted aluminum wheels with OEM steel painted black
7. Put the last set of Bridgestones I will ever buy(APT 235/75 r15). Wear very fast. Got about 20K of light use from them.
8. Sprayed interior with Duplicolor bedliner spray.
9. Fabricated light bar and installed Hella 500
10. Fabricated diamond plate body guards.
9. Bought hardtop and full doors. Roll-up windows!!!!
10. Installed 2" 4wheelhardware lift and 1" greasable shackles.
Re-painted faded display needles red.
11. Installed 31x10.50 R15 Cooper AT3 (awesome ride and more aggressive look than most AT tires I considered). Not too big but easy on the powertrain and fuel mileage.

Other upgrade is the sound- Alpine Mechless with 6x9- Planet Audio Amp 100watts? and dash mounted 4x6 powered from the dech.

Turp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
vstre

Sick rig man, keep it up!
vstre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.