Frorge's YJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Frorge's YJ Build

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
frorge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Frorge's YJ Build

Howdy JeepForum!

I recently purchased a new (too me) 1993 Wrangler YJ, 4.0 HO. I searched for about 3 months trying to find a clean, stock jeep that hadn't been molested or mistreated. Then after looking all across the great state of Texas I found this girl about 3 miles from where I grew up!

She has 129K miles and after looking at the CarFax looks like its been a pretty average 5-8K a year every year.

Background: I had an '89 wrangler in high school, and then sold it because it wasn't the most practical ride to go back and forth to college. I've since graduated, worked and made money, purchased a motorcycle, got married and sold said motorcycle. The deal was if I sold the bike, I could use those funds to purchase and build a Jeep. So here we go!

I've avidly read through a lot of builds here, as well as tons of threads on lifts and upgrades. I am an electrical engineer with moderate mechanic skills. While I'm not afraid to tackle pretty much anything, my past automotive history is limited to changing basic fluids and brakes etc. However, after reading through all the write-ups here, I started to get the urge to do a full frame off restoration with axle swaps and the whole nine yards........but then I grounded myselft and decided on the following:
  • 2.5" OME 36R Springs
  • Bilstein 5100 Shocks
  • 1/2" Boom Shackles
  • 32x11.5 R15 Dunlop Mud Rovers
  • Pro Comp Series 51 Flat Black wheels 3.75 BS
  • RE Ubolt Set
  • Crown Bushings

BIG shout out to Besrk! I PM'd him here and about 4 days later I had a brand new set up shackles (minus hardware) sitting in my mailbox.

BIGGER shout out to Kolak! He's a distributor on this site that has hooked me up with most everything else on my list. He's been easy to do business with thus far and the prices are the best I've found. And trust me I've been looking.

I'm going to see how this setup works, if I end up with vibrations I'll probably do a 1" Browndog MML then look at DPA's and the like. Currently she handles great up to 70MPH and thats not something I want to lose.

Aside from the suspension upgrades i've got on order new Smittybilt front and rear bumper / tire carrier and new sound system on the way. I've read all the pros and cons about the Smittybilt stuff, but the goal of this is ot have a reliable 2nd vehicle that I can enjoy for many years to come. I want to keep it clean and aesthetically pleasing, but that's not to say it will from time to time find its way to the dirt!

Here's some pictures. Pretty much everything should be coming in, in the next couple weeks. Hopefully I can convince some friends in the coming weekends to help me with the lift! I plan on keeping this pretty up to date, hopefully for y'all that will be less text and more pictures!

Thanks!

jeep1.jpg   jeep2.jpg   jeep3.jpg   unnamed-2-.jpg  
frorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
Adam013085

Good clean looking jeep. Wish I could find that in my backyard
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
frorge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok! Finally an update. Since this post I've changed all fluids and filters.

Including: Oil, Oil filter, Air Filter, Coolant flush, new thermostat, transmission fluid, front and rear differentials and fuel filter. Notes on that. I didn't realize how bad gear oil smells and the re-usable gaskets for the diff covers are awesome. All in all the fluids looks good which confirms that this girl has been taken very good care of.

Got her inspected here in the ft. worth area so had to do an emissions test. Passed by the skin of her nose, so looking at doing to the full screaming demon spark upgrade at some point to hopefully help with the emissions and maybe gain a few of the hp's. While getting the inspection done, saw this guy getting some new pipes put on, pretty awesome.

Also here are a few pics of my rear diff and my own way of removing a stubborn fill hole plug from the front cover.
img_2055.jpg

unnamed-1-.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Unread 04-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
frorge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This weekend I finally got all the parts in for the lift. Had some issues getting the OME springs, so I went with the Rubicon Express 2.5" springs PN: 1430. Since I changed springs I had to re-order different bushings because the RE springs are all 1.5" ID whereas the OME were 2.25". But finally got all the parts, got all the hardware and got all the tools and of course got the beer. Had a buddy come over saturday to help out.

The underside of the jeep is very clean, no rust so I wasn't worried about getting any of the bolts loose. But I went ahead and sprayed everything down with PB Blaster the day before to make life a little easier. Neither of us had done anything like like this before, but I figured between this forum, youtube and some sweat should'nt be a problem. Well, I've decided there is a steep steep learning curve here. We are still not done, but I think we've got everything figured out now and should be able to wrap it up pretty quick!

I spent the first part of saturday removing the front and rear track bars as well as the shocks. I wanted to drive around with just the track bars off to compare the ride but time wasn't on my side and I didn't. So the comparison will just be between completely stock and brand new suspension. No issues pulling all that off so I was feeling pretty good going into the real gritty stuff. My buddy came over that evening and the first problem we encountered was I had largely underestimated how high we were going to have to jack this thing up! A short trip to an undisclosed location later, and we had ourselves some solid wood blocks to lift from.

Getting the springs off and new ones on went pretty quickly. Then we ran into the issue of not being able to line up the axle properly on the springs. Screwed with that for the remainder of the night / early morning until finally giving up. I posted a question on the /f12 board and got my answer over night! We were attempting to only do 1 corner at a time, and learned that unbolting the entire front makes things much easier. And yes it does!

I worked solo yesterday and managed to get everything in place. All that remains on the front is to jack back up the axle so I can mount the sway bar back to the frame and attach the wheels and brake lines! So with the added help of a buddy tomorrow and all the new knowledge the back end should go on no problem......well at least I hope so....

Question: How can I post pictures in between text, instead of just a bunch at the bottom?
Here are pics of the progress including track bar and shock removal, "doing stuff" and the last is how is currently sits.
unnamed-7-.jpg

unnamed-6-.jpg

unnamed-5-.jpg

unnamed-3-.jpg

unnamed-2-.jpg

unnamed-1-.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Unread 04-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
frorge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Finished the rear end last night. Finding the time to work on this is a lot more difficult then I thought it would!

Still need to torque everything down and need to install the rear shocks. Going to have to swap a metal sleeve in the shocks from the bottom bushing to the top, because the old track bar mount is requiring me to mount them upside down.

But in the meantime, the jeep is sitting on the ground with all four tires. I'll post what I have pics of now, and do some better shots once I can actually drive it out of the garage. But it looks like my RE 2.5" springs plus .5" shackles netted me a little over 5" of lift!!

Wasn't expecting that, so now I'm probably going to definitely need to do the MML, and axle shims and extended brake lines that I was hoping I wouldn't have to do. Oh well!
unnamed-11-.jpg

side-pre-lift.jpg

springs.jpg

Unread 04-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
frorge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Finished up and was able to take it for a quick spin. I've got the dreaded death wobble!
Plan on ordering up a browndog MML and hopefully take care of that.

Still need to drive it around, let things settle and re-torque. But these are my measurements now:

Before:
Front: 29"
Middle: 18.75
Back: 22.5"

After:
Front: 32 7/8"
Middle: 23 3/16"
Back: 27 3/8"

Before and after pictures:
jeep1.jpg  
post-lift-small-tire-2.jpg

prelift-measure-front.jpg

prelift-measure-mid.jpg

prelift-measure-back.jpg

post-lift-measure-front.jpg

post-lift-measure-mid.jpg

Unread 04-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #7
20jeepster10
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very Clean YJ ! Looks great so far!
20jeepster10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #8
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

cool jeep

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #9
frorge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I just skimmed through your build. You're rocking that rust repair! I was lucky enough to find one down here that (at least that i've found) doesn't have any rust.
Unread 04-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #10
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i don't mind the rust repair, i enjoy working with metal, it would be nice to have it all together and running again, ive been thinking alot about paint mine white when its all done too

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #11
frorge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Time for an update!

Have had the lift on a while now. Really liking it! Between the new springs, shocks and losing the track bars the ride is GREATLY improved!

Finally, got the new wheels and tires in. Had those mounted. They are Procomp 15x8 flat black with 3.75" back spacing. The tires are 32 X 11.5" Dunlop Mud Terrains. I havn't had these in the mud yet, but I used to have a set of the 31's and they were great. Not terribly loud going down the road either!

Front and back bumper are both Smittybilt. Cheap I know, but I'm not planning on doing anything hardcore enough for that to matter. I've got the rear tire hanger, but haven't had the time yet to install it.

Also, got a smittybilt centerconsole, the locking kind.

Plans from here are an obnoxious amount of lights and stereo. Hopefully, me and buddy and get the stereo in this weekend. Got the equipment laying in the garage, just needs to be installed.
lifted-top.jpg

lifted-without-top-side.jpg

lifted-without-top-front.jpg

lifted-without-top-back.jpg

Unread 06-13-2014, 12:18 PM   #12
frorge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Lifting difficulties 101: The Death Wobble

Definitely experienced this after the lift. As shows earlier, I got way more than the originally planned 3" of lift. That combined with my 6 cylinder and unluckiness, got some rather bad vibes. I first ordered 1" MML from Browndog. They took a few weeks to show up, he makes everything to order, just a heads up. But they looked great! Got them installed by myself using only a jack stand some blocks of woods and basic tools. Misread the instructions and started on the wrong side, with cause the entire process to be about twice as long as it needed to. But I called that eveneing, he answered and got me straightened out! VERY good customer service!

The MML helped. Unfortunately not enough. I went with the rubber mounts and torqued everything to specification and could feel no new engine vibrations, however the driveline vibrations were still there. Albeit, only about half as bad as before.

Based on the current amount of money that has already gone into this, and my lack of adequate space, I'm not set up for axle swap, and doing the SYE and CCV driveshaft at this time. Hopefully, one day, but with the wife already wanting her spot back in the garage, I elected to go with a t-case drop. Ordered a cheap daystar 1" drop off amazon and got it 2 days later. Put it on, and about an hour later had a fully functioning jeep again!

Sorry, no pics right now of the motor mount lift or t-case going on, but thought y'all would be interested on how that all went.
Unread 06-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #13
frorge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

When I bought the jeep it had no speakers or radio. I purchased:

(2) 4X6 Polk marine speakers for the dash
(2) 6.5" Kicker marine speakers for the roll bar
A kenwood marine 400 W 2 channel amp
A kenwood marine deck

A few weekends ago I installed the deck and in-dash speakers. Unfortunately no pics. We basically got the speakers in and wired and did the same with the deck. It was a real hack job, but I plan on completely taking off the dash and redoing a lot of the wiring in the near future. This will happen when I install my new KC lights, LED dash lights, speakers, switches and radio deck.

In the mean time I can at least listen to pandora while riding down the road as opposed to the wind noise!

The 2 6.5" speakers will be mounted in a DIY speaker can that I am in the process of building. The end result will look something like thishttp://www.rzrforums.net/lighting-st...pods-pics.html except a little nicer. I bought some 2" u-bolts that will slide over my main cross roll bar that will hold them in place.
Unread 06-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #14
frorge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Items used - so far:

(2) 6" PVC caps
(1) 48"' x 12' x 1" flatboard
150 Grit Sand paper
320 grit sand paper
sander
jigsaw
compass
drill/bits/screws
spray paint - primer
pray paint - final color

I started out by sanding down both caps with 150 grit. Taking off all blemishes, stamped writing and smoothing all surfaces.

Them cut out the wood rings for the speakers to mount to. I found a cheap scrap piece of hardboard at homedepot for this. The outside diameter of the ring needs to be a touch less than 6.875". The inside diameter of the ring needs to be about .75" in order to allow the backside of the speaker to fit. The first ring i cut to large and spent a lot of time sanding down the OD of the ring in order to get it to fit. This did allow for a perfect fit that required a slight tap with a mallet in order to get it to seat. The second ring was a touch to small and will require me to apply some rtv to seal it up.

Once the rings were cut out and sanded. I mounted them to the caps with 4 countersunk #8 screws

After a little more prep work on the caps i sprayed them with a primer.

Scuffed up the primered caps with 320 grit. then sprayed them with my colored paint.

Thanks to the rain (I'm not complaining) thats as far as I've gotten. I want to do another coat, and possibly some kind of sealant on the final coat to protect them form scratches. And then obviously mount the speakers and pup holes for the mounting u-bolt and wire harness. I'll update as I go.

A few notes: The speaker and speaker cover will cover the entire front with a small blue band being seen around it. Completely covering the wood. Also, don't make fun of my paintbooth. The old "well" is on its way out, but I could still seeing the wife giving me grief over a blue well out back untill then.
initial-caps.jpg

id-ring.jpg

cap-1-ring.jpg

spray-paint.jpg

primered.jpg

primer-sand.jpg

blue-coat-1.jpg

blue-coat-ring.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.