Freeride's not so free ride. . . - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Freeride's not so free ride. . .

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 03-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
03TJ_Freeride
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Freeride's not so free ride. . .

I have been looking around at other jeeps on here and figured I would start up my build thread so I would have something to show you guys.

It all started back in the 90's when my mom got a blue 95 wrangler. It was a cool ride and it was actually the vehicle I learned to drive a stick in. Man I loved that thing. I got older, and my tastes changed and I got my first car which was a 94 Trans Am. I then moved on to a Chevy Silverado senior year of high school. Sold both of them and drove around a 91 subaru legacy and a 90 nissan frontier for a while in college. A couple of years ago I got the bug for something cool again, and started looking online for cool rides. Looked at everything from subi's to tacomas, and just never found anything that fit. While looking online at my parents house one day, they were like why aren't you looking at any jeeps. . .good question lol. Started looking around and found a few at dealerships and car lots about an hour away. We went one weekend with my summer cash (just a down payment, not rich at all lol) and found a sweet silver jeep with a hardtop/soft top combo low miles, no 5spd tho. We were about to sign the papers when the carfax came in with a frame damage/salvage title. . .we were pissed! Kept looking around and found 2 other jeeps that got sold out from under us that day (we had called that morning and they were sold by the time we got there). Needless to say we thought that the day would be a fail. . .we stopped at one last stop on the way home, a shop that I had chosen not to stop at because they usually overprice things (or so I thought). We stopped and there she was. . .03 TJ with a BB and 32x11.50's looked inside and saw that she was a 5spd and popped the hood and there was the I6. She had to be mine. But it was 6pm on a sat gameday at App (holy %^&* gridlock in downtown boone). We were about to leave when in pulled the owner of the shop. He said that that jeep had been dropped off that morning and if we would have came when we drove through it wouldn't have been there. 1 test drive later, she was mine.

This is where my build begins. . .

03TJ_Freeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
03TJ_Freeride
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The only things that have changed are the wheels, (shop owner gave them to me cheap since pro comps were pitted) 3.5" RE standard lift, and the blacked out turns/tails and I have since removed the milk jugs and yes the grille inserts came with the jeep.

I have since found JF and been reading and reading as much as I can and have a list of things that I will be adding in the near future(i.e. this month). . .

-33x12.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs
-Currie Antirock

After that(kind of in order but not really):
1" MML
1.25" Body Lift
SYE/CV Shaft
Undo t-case drop
Tube Fenders and Corners
Front Bumper
Rear Bumper with tire carrier
Upgrade headlamps - IPF H4 conversion with fatboys?
Upgrade foglights - Replace bulbs/decal FX yellow film
ORO Litedots for the rear
Lock the Dana 44 in the back
Super 30 and Lock the front (or find a 44 out of a wrecked rubi)
Winch & Recovery gear

This rig will be my daily driver and I have yet to really test it out, and I am still looking for good local trails to do soon, but this forum has really helped me want to mod my TJ and use it as a tool to see new things and meet new interesting people!

First opinion question for you guys. . .
Should I remove the grill inserts and black out the headlight bezels?

Last edited by 03TJ_Freeride; 03-06-2010 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: fixed stuff
Unread 03-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

your jeep automatically becomes one of my favorites out of the pure fact that it is intense blue pearl and that is by far the best color EVER invented

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
03TJ_Freeride
2003 TJ Wrangler 

ha ha thanks spyder hopefully I won't disappoint. . . your rig is sick!
Unread 03-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
kelso1337
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Great looking Jeep man!

I have the same colour and I never really liked it at first, but now I just love it.

Electric Lime Green is sweet too :P

Great progress so far and I hope to see you post up some more pics soon because it will be my inspiration to lift
kelso1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
03TJ_Freeride
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well I got to mess around on the jeep a little bit today.

What I got done:
Installed homemade disconnects - 2x -1/2" Clevis, grade 8 washers(2), cotter pin
Flex test
Adjusted t-case so 4L engaged again
Better flex test

Also picked up a a tire pressure gauge with a relief valve, and a small air compressor.

Some pics:

Wasn't max flex but it was the best off camber snow pile I could find.
Unread 03-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
WtrHamer97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Great looking Jeep. Like the homemade disconnects. Keep us posted on your progress
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
03TJ_Freeride
2003 TJ Wrangler 

so my goodyear wrangler duratracs are on back order for another two weeks, should I wait them out or go with Cooper Discoverer STT (we have intense winters in the mountains of NC, but I have been getting around with bald pro comp a/t's so I don't think I will have a problem with either of them come winter time next year). As of now the tire place just has my phone number and I haven't spent anything, but my a/t's are done. . .

Opinions please. . .

P.S. Yes this jeep is my DD. No I don't offroad a lot atm, but generally I dive in head first and ask questions later.
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Great Jeep!

You could go MTR w/Kevlar......I like the Duratracs so I'd either wait or go MTR. Both will serve you quite well.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
03TJ_Freeride
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Great Jeep!

You could go MTR w/Kevlar......I like the Duratracs so I'd either wait or go MTR. Both will serve you quite well.
Thanks and thanks!

I will be going with the duratracs because my tire guy said they will be here Friday! Just in time for spring. . .
Unread 03-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
03TJ_Freeride
2003 TJ Wrangler 

question:

should i mount my new rubber to the old pro comps(will be polishing my a$$ off this weekend) or the ultra rogues I have now? I have 2 sets of four wheels, was thinking of pulling one and mounting it as my spare, would that look dumb? If that wouldn't look dumb, 4 pro comps with a ultra spare or 4 ultras with a pro comp spare?

Options suck sometimes.
Unread 03-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
jpschacht
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03TJ_Freeride View Post
so my goodyear wrangler duratracs are on back order for another two weeks, should I wait them out or go with Cooper Discoverer STT (we have intense winters in the mountains of NC, but I have been getting around with bald pro comp a/t's so I don't think I will have a problem with either of them come winter time next year). As of now the tire place just has my phone number and I haven't spent anything, but my a/t's are done. . .

Opinions please. . .

P.S. Yes this jeep is my DD. No I don't offroad a lot atm, but generally I dive in head first and ask questions later.
I had ordered some duratracs too but i was told 2 to 3 weeks and decided to get the Mt/r with kevlar instead.
jpschacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #13
BigGreenTJ27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03TJ_Freeride View Post
question:

should i mount my new rubber to the old pro comps(will be polishing my a$$ off this weekend) or the ultra rogues I have now? I have 2 sets of four wheels, was thinking of pulling one and mounting it as my spare, would that look dumb? If that wouldn't look dumb, 4 pro comps with a ultra spare or 4 ultras with a pro comp spare?

Options suck sometimes.
Jeep looks good man. I'm loving that color. I'm thinking about painting my Jeep, and that color is definitely on the list of options. As for the wheels, I'd say mount the new tires to the ones you're running now, and use a pro comp as the spare. I'd have to say I'm a fan of the wheels you have now. Those pro comps just don't do it for me.
BigGreenTJ27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #14
03TJ_Freeride
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpschacht View Post
I had ordered some duratracs too but i was told 2 to 3 weeks and decided to get the Mt/r with kevlar instead.
I would have done the same, but I need the extra $$$ for more mods haha. When this rig needs a more dedicated off road tire the mt/r k will be on my short list of considerations but I think the duratracs will do well for now.
Unread 03-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #15
03TJ_Freeride
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreenTJ27 View Post
Jeep looks good man. I'm loving that color. I'm thinking about painting my Jeep, and that color is definitely on the list of options. As for the wheels, I'd say mount the new tires to the ones you're running now, and use a pro comp as the spare. I'd have to say I'm a fan of the wheels you have now. Those pro comps just don't do it for me.
Thanks man! Its a great color if you can handle the smurf comments!

Yeah I am a fan of these rims but I probably still going to polish up the 1079's this weekend, just to see what they look because I got the tire mounted to the ultra's two days after I got the jeep so I have no idea what they will look like all cleaned up.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.