FREE to me CJ5 delivered to my office - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > FREE to me CJ5 delivered to my office

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-29-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

FREE to me CJ5 delivered to my office

....a 1979 CJ5. long story...long , i work for a road materials and ready mix company as the accountant. our company's oil and diesel vendor sales guy comes by once a month and takes me and one of my co-workers/good friend to lunch....he's our favorite vendor an older man with plenty of good stories, knowledge, and good company. also has an 84 CJ 7 and is having a custom 32 ford hot rod being built.
anyway, we've known him for a couple years now and he always knew my black TJ. and knew i sold it. and knew i wanted to get another jeep. we went to lunch on monday and he asked if i was still looking for a jeep. i told him i had just picked up another TJ a few weeks ago. he said, well a friend has a CJ5 he wants to get rid of. he said the guy tried to get him to take it, but he said he already had the CJ7 and was probably going to be selling it as it is. he said, i know someone that would love to take it off your hands though. i asked how much he wanted for it. he said, he doesn't want a thing for it. he has 4 other jeeps and doesn't need the money.
my buddy and i told him we wanted it. he called his friend who we later found out is the owner of the oil company (no wonder he doesn't need the money), and told him we wanted it. he said it was already loaded on the trailer and he would drop it off in a couple days.
i got a phone call this morning from Tim saying he would be here at lunch to drop it off. he pulls up in his brand new F350 and the CJ5 sitting on the gooseneck trailer. we set up the ramps and i pushed it off. we stood there and talked for a few minutes, he handed me the title and the keys and took off.

he bought it several years ago to use on his ranch to hunt with, but the first engine had issues so he parked it. later he put a rebuilt engine in it and drove it for a while and then parked it again. it had been sitting for a couple years in the barn so it doesn't currently run. he figured it would probably just need to be opened up and have some lubing done.

since i have the TJ and hardly enough cash to do much with it now, rather than let it sit in my garage, my buddy is going to put the money into the 5 and i am going to do the work; we'll both wheel it.
a couple pics i just took...

it needs a lot of work of course. but for the price of FREE, who cares.

there are some small rust spots on the outside of the body and very few small holes on the passenger floorboard. it looks pretty good underneath, from the quick look i've taken in the last hour. it looks pretty solid overall. we'll see when we start tearing into it.

TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
jeeperkt
2012 JK Wrangler 

WOW now thats what I call a DEAL.

If this guy decides that he dosent need one of the other 4 Jeeps he has please let me know!!!PLEASE

Nice find!
Unread 11-29-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

thats awesome.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2007, 09:59 AM   #4
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

yeah...i couldn't pass up the opportunity to pick up an old CJ.
he has two other CJs and a TJ setup as a hunting rig. he said he's happy with those.
Unread 12-01-2007, 09:17 PM   #5
tj99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had never seen a rear seat hinged like that until these pics. Clicked on another thread and saw a similar setup on another CJ.

Is that an aftermarket setup or stock? Probably an interesting ride.
2014 JKU - Wifes
tj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 04:30 PM   #6
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

well, it's not quite hinged, but just bolted to the tub. it is strong as hell though. custom made to be used as a hunting seat. pretty common for people to set them up like that to bring to their deer leases around here.

it was pulled a couple days ago....along with most everything else. it's near completely stripped down now. i have a build thread going for it in the CJ section so i won't cloud this area with too many pics just yet.

this is some more of the seat though....

Unread 12-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #7
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

this is how it sits now....

Unread 12-09-2007, 05:10 PM   #8
fastredjeep
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXST8tj
this is how it sits now....

I literally choked on the pineapple I was eating when I saw that picture. Looks like quite a project. Good luck!
fastredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 01:20 PM   #9
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastredjeep
I literally choked on the pineapple I was eating when I saw that picture. Looks like quite a project. Good luck!
haha....well i don't want to be responsible for you choking so i will stop this build at once. haha.

actually, this build just took a turn. my buddy, the guy i passed the jeep off to, bought a fully restored 1964.5 mustang with 305 miles on it last night. SO...i am taking the CJ to build myself as his funding went to the mustang. no problem for me. i am just going to do a stock type build. just get it back to semi-stock specs. stock axles, drivetrain, suspension, etc. just update everything with either new parts or rebuild. should make for a nice around town cruiser. i may swap in a proper automatic so my wife can drive it too. not to mention the front seats are so close to the dash and i am 6'5", clutching and shifting would not be easy with the stock 3spd.
Unread 12-26-2007, 11:30 AM   #10
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

Looks like a solid start. Keep up the good work.
Unread 12-30-2007, 09:18 PM   #11
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

yeap...305 after the rebuild. this thing is perfect though. VERY nice job on the restoration.

Unread 01-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #12
jshaab2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

hey keep that cj5 rear seat . i think that would be a great spotter/ passenger seat when wheeling
jshaab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #13
AlTheKillerr

that is quite the deal congrats. cant wait to see more of the build
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2008, 09:39 AM   #14
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i have a build thread going on over in the CJ section, but here is the latest update....

a lot has changed...in my garage and in my plans. finally got the garage cleaned out a good deal. now i actually have some space to get some work done and to move around. i also have sold a bunch of stuff from the CJ which has made even more room. and that leads me to my change in plans.

i decided i don't want to restore this CJ. i would like to restore an old jeep someday, but i would rather put my time and energy into restoring a GPW/MB or cj2a or something older with maybe some historical meaning, etc. so, i will be doing a decent little build with this 5. a short list of basics includes, Scout d44s f/r geared and locked, SBC with an auto tranny (t.b.a), atlas or built d300 (probably atlas b/c building a d300 will probably cost the same as an atlas), some fresh springs SOA with the rear shackle mount on the rear crossmember for a few added inches of wheelbase, 35-37" tires, cage, seats, fuel cell, flat tube fenders up front, simple front bumper with winch.

as it sits as of last night.....

i sold the tranny and tcase, front and rear seats, tires and wheels, steering column/wheel, wiring harness, gauges, and some other odds and ends. i still have the engine, axles, fuel tank, radiator, dash, rollbar, suspension, and heater stuff to get rid of before i start cleaning up the frame. i would just like to get that stuff out of the garage before i start making a mess.

depending on the weather this afternoon, we are going to haul the body over to the house after work.

a couple weeks ago, i picked up an air compressor and some tools to help with working on both the CJ and the TJ.

Unread 01-22-2008, 05:35 PM   #15
Camo Deere
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Nice CJ. Best of luck restoring it.
Camo Deere is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.