"The Flop Project" cliff notes edition - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "The Flop Project" cliff notes edition

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 10-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

"The Flop Project" cliff notes edition

I am finally finishing up the Flop Project so I want to submit a new build thread to add all the pictures in a series of how the build came together. For those who followed my build till the pages got up into the 200s this is for you guys. There is a lot of good usable information in my old thread, but takes days to find it.

I bought my Jeep in the spring of 2009 without telling my wife. The Jeep would have never received her blessing in the condition it was in. So I never even told her till 2 months of ownership. I had to take the Jeep home. The Jeep came with a 4 inch Tough Country lift complete with hydro shocks. Orfab disconnects, Rancho SS, and a three inch body lift. As for Recovery there was a old rusty MM winch. There were Four extremely used 36 inch Baja radials on 15x8 steel wheels.

I started out in the beginning wanting to go no bigger than 35s. I started with 33s, then bought a set of regeared axles with 4.88 off craigslist for 800.00. I found out soon I needed bigger tires, blah, blah, blah…… we all know what happens now.

First wheeling trip. Got to find the pictures.

Second trip GMP.

I sanded down the Jeep, fixed a little of the body. I had a custom red mixed up from a local paint supplier. I quickly resprayed the Jeep one night after work.

In the early part of 2010 I decided it was time to get real. I did my Taxes and started ordering parts.

A little bit of a time line.

Febuary 2,2010 Done
Goodyear Wholesale Tires
35/12.50/15 MTR with Kevlar Sold

Febuary 18,2010 Done
ROKMEN dual JJ control arms Done
Currie Antirock Done
Riddler Diff cover Done
JKS BL gone
JKS MML Done
ROKMEN Gas Tank Skid Done Sold
ROKMEN Steering Skid Done

Febuary 13,2010
Ultra High Clearance Skid Done No BL

March 5,2010
Northridge4x4
Currie HD steering Done
Extended stainless steel brake lines Front and rear. Done

March 7,2010
Undercover Fabworks Engine Skid 97-02 Done
Full belly Armor Now.

March 15,2010
ROKMEN HiLine fenders Done
ROKMEN Mercenary Rocker armor w/tubes Done
ROKMEN Mercenary Corner Guards Aluminum Done

April 26th 2010
ROKMEN hood pins Done

May 23rd
TNT D44 rear truss Done
UCF D44 diff cover Done

June 14th 2010
ROKMEN rear bumper Done
ROKMEN Custom L-TJ Bumper Done
Riddler Diff cover Done

July 7th
JK RUBI Hi-pinion 44 axle Done
JK RUBI D44 rear Done

July 21st
TnT front truss for JK to TJ swap. Done
Custom Sleeves Done
Inner C braces Done

July 26th
37x12.50x17 Krawlers
August 2nd
Savvy rear armor,tail gate skin, valance Done

August 3rd
RCI Fuel cell Done
Kore Fuel Pump ring Done
Cragar Soft 8 17x8 Forsale

August 12th
Ballistic Fab TB brackets Done
Custom 1 Ton Steering W/Spider trax Hiems Done

Sept 21st
Novak cable shifter 231J Done love it
04 mirrors Done
5125 blistiens Done
Ford towers Done
Hella headlights Done
Headlight protectors

Oct 30th
Raceline 233 Monster Beadlocks 17x9.5 Done

November
4 Bilstien shocks

January 2011

Mid arm build begins
Buying parts:
8 Currie Jonny Joints
8ft of 2" DOM
6ft of 1.750 DOM
Currie Rear AR

February
Blank TNT JK44 rear truss
Mid arm rear,Dual triangulated
Ruffstuff lower shock mounts
Ruffstuff Upper control arm brackets
Ballistic Fab lower CA brackets
Sniper fab lower Ca brackets
Genright Upper CA brackets

March
Fabbing up Mid arm.

April

Koz offroad Cage kit.
and Custom additions.
40ft of DOM 1.75 .120

Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

First Rokmen order

35x12.50x15 MTR with Kevlar

Rokmen gas tank skid

Under Cover Fabworks Ultra High Clearance skid

Unread 10-02-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Currie HD steering / Riddler D30 cover

The Jeep out of the shop after UCF install and 35s with stock springs and a 2 inch BB.

Installing of the Rokmen corner armor and merc sliders.

Rokmen Fender install what a great kit. Well worth the money and the 10 hrs to install and paint.

Just a little sealer and base coat for the fenders for now. I will spray the fenders and hood later on in the week.

Just a little semi gloss single stage black for the sliders.

Here is the hood after the hiline cut and reinstalling the factory edge back on the hood.

For more detailed info on this hood modification. I did a complete write up in TJ-Tech.

Here is the Link for the Hiline hood build and Rokmen Fenders "CLICKY"

Pictures of the Hood after paint with the Rokmen Hiline fenders.

Unread 10-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #4
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Flexing out the Jeep after the first phase of the build comes to an end.

Undercover Fab first set of Deep Cover system.

So far installed,2.5 RC springs , Full set of Rokmen Dual JJ arms, UCF UHC skid. Rokmen steering box skid, 35 inch MTRK. Currie SYE and DS. Currie Steering, Rokmen full body protection.

I installed some Rokmen hood pins to keep the hood closed.

I was really happy with the Jeep at this point. Up next time to upgrade the rear axle to a D44 and set up a HP30.

I ordered a truss from TNT for the XJ D44 I picked up from pull a part. I have the axle all stripped and ready for the truss and new gears. All this will take place when I get home from Vacation.

UCF diff protection came in while I was out on Vacation.

Little help washing the Jeep after a week in the OBX.

Then an unexpected tragedy took place the day I returned to work from Vacation.
For those that followed my build from the very beginning know what happened. Here is a short version. An old man pulled out from a parking lot and T-boned me causing my Jeep to flip on 2 wheels then over to its side.

Video of the wrecker up righting the Jeep.

After about a month of bickering with the guys insurance I finally got a check.

I made some quick repairs and still made the Badlands trip I had planned for months.
Unread 10-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I painted the UCF system then reinstalled it after a Deep pan conversion from Mopar.

I replaced one of the MTRK with a new one. Turned out it was just a bent rim

So I picked up a set of MT wheels.

Deep trans pan comparison.

Wheeling at Badlands with the Guys of IndyOrv….

Returned from wheeling and Phase 2 began…

JK D44 axles, 10 inches of stretch, Savvy corner armor, 37 inch Krawlers, Rokmen front and rear bumpers, Rampage top, Custom 1 ton steering, Jimmys 4x4 fuel cell mount and RCI fuel cell.

Rokmen has some pretty welds:

All the goodness for the front JK44:

Little picture of the rear frame stretch

Just playing around with the Krawlers I picked up from a local after Imped bought my old MTRKs.

Unread 10-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The new departure angle.

RCI fuel cell, The Jimmys4x4 mount should be here in a week or so.

Here is another picture of the front axle build. A 2009 HPJK44 with custom sleeves, a TNT truss and Inner C gussets.

Its Fuel cell time, I ordered a RCI 2161 Fuel cell, a K.O.R.E. fuel pump ring, and a Jimmy’s 4x4 custom cell bracket.

Its getting to be game time so the Savvy armor is up next.

Savvy blanks ordered to make a nice comp cut, and tail gate skin and valance panel to finish off the look.

Getting the corners ready to cut. Use a little cutting fluid and a jig saw for the best results.

Just a little garage flexing:

I called up Rokmen for the following parts. It’s the same parts used on all there Freak builds. Spider trax rod ends and 1.5 DOM for the steering and track bars.

I used some schedule 40 pvc to mock up the steering.

Some Tom Woods adapters to make the JK axles work with the TJ drive shafts.

Out of the garage for the first time in 3 months of Humid, Hot temps , and lots of blood sweat and tears.

My fuel pump quit on the first trip to work after the axle swap and stretch. I learned you cannot leave a fuel pump out of fuel for 3 months after it had been submerged in gas before.

Unread 10-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Second badlands run , shake down run number 2. I drove 5 hours after a full week of work to wheel the Badlands in Attica IN with the Indy ORV guys again.

Humping Gribbles

Dropping in on Red trail.

My attempt at climbing Red for the first time. I sould have more time behind the wheel before attempting this kind of absticle.

I managed to dent a UCF UHC skid so bad it pulled the factory nut serts out of the frame. Now its time for a long drive home with my guts strapped in.

I made it home from the Badlands trip. Called up Matt at UCF. He says no problem he can ship out a new skid of my choice. Excellent Customer service from UCF.

Old skid.

Just a little IndyORV love

Some random pictures from the lake.

The new skid and a Novak shifter. If anyone is on the fence about the Novak cable shifter conversion. DO IT!

I ordered up a Rampage Frameless top to keep the elements out this winter. The top was easy to install, I would recommend to allow this top to warm up. Never try to install under 60 degree outside temp.

Unread 10-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Its time to install the new Bilstien shocks. I used the Mod James (Pumpkinator) used for the front shock towers.

Here is James's write up. Longer shocks up front Simple

I was really getting tired of the chopped up look the bare corners was giving the Jeep. This afternoon I sprayed the corners and skins with some base/clear to match the rest of the Jeep.

Much better look I think.

Waiting on the new bling wheels to get here. Raceline Monster beadlocks. 17x9.5

New wheels and painted armor.

Testing out the new wheels and some offroad fun at Wheeling in the Country. I was only there about 3 hours. Its really hard to get pictures of your own Jeep.

Got some bling to add to the Corner armor. Some Rokmen solid strykers.

I got some Genright hood louvers for the Jeep, I added a write up on TJ tech.

Here is the TJ Tech link for the Hood louver install. "CLICKY"

Here are the tools I needed to do the project.

Unread 10-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

A few more pictures because I am bored.

I got a warn M8000 winch from the Wife.

I built this little bracket to recenter the winch control box.

Winch installed on the Rokmen front bumper.

Time to fix what is wrong with the rear suspension. I will buld a new Mid arm crossmember to attach the lower and upper frame ends of the links then replace the TNT truss with a new one with a trihat. The new arms will be made of 1/34 DOM and 2 inch DOM.

Added a rear Anti Rock while I was building the Mid arms.

Little shot of the New tires 37x12.50 17 MTR with Kevlar.

Unread 10-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Updated build thread to this day, 10-2-11

Last picture with out the cage. I ordered a KOZ offroad cage kit and 2 24ft sticks of DOM to build a cage for the Flop.

I had some new sheet metal bent up to make a new floor and wheel tubs after the mid arm build. My wheel tubs were dented and the floor was really bad. My rig will never have a back seat again anyway so I figured this will give it a clean unique look after it is bedlined.

Here are some pictures of the wife and I on her first trip out wheeling in the Jeep. We did what everyone says not to. We wheeled alone.

Here is a little damage from the wheeling trip to Wooly’s offroad.

The TNT truss I installed at the time of the rear mid arms let go on a hill climb with a ledge.

I went down to the local metal supplier and picked up some ¼ inch plate. I will be making my own rear truss and adding some pre bent upper mounts to the truss.

My latest venture is an AW4 swap purchased with a shell of Jeep. Here are some of the parts aquired.

The TCM , trans , shifter assembly and cables. I will make a flat skid and crossmember to mount the trans to.

Here are some of the good pictures of the Mid arm install for the front. I ended up building new spring perches, track bar bracket frame side and axle side, lower shock mounts, a simple truss to mount the upper link to, added some 3" Savvy/Currie springs, Mr.Blaine sway bar brackets and Ruffstuff limit straps.

Axle all cleaned up, out with the old in with the new.

New custom brackets and simple truss.

Axle side lower CA brackets 1/4 inch plate boxed in with 3/16 on the bottom.

New track bar bracket frame side

Unread 10-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #11
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Finished track bar bracket:

Astro van Pitman arm. The taper is different than the TJ one. But I run a Hiem joint on my Draglink. So, I just drilled out to 5/8 and added a high misalignment spacer with built in safety washer.

Picture of the upper link mount and the lower.

I added a set of Genright raised body mounts to the Jeep as the mid arm build was going on to give some better clearance for the Pitman arm and the Aw4 when the time comes.

Sway bar mounts:

Mid arms all ready to go, working on the lower shock mounts:

Unread 10-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #12
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here you go guys a solid update on the Jeep.

February I installed my very first set of gears, I had never done this, But I am very glad i did. Its kinda hard and I have respect for the guys that do this all the time.

Last March I installed a pair of Mastercraft seats.

I finally got around to removing the Mid arm crossmember sometime around september last year. I just did not like how the rig drove on the street with the double trianulated mid arm. So i went to a single triangulated 4 link. There is a tiny bit of triangulation in the lowers still.

Barnes upper link mounts and Poly 20 degree lower mounts with Chromoly upper links and Dual JJ lowers. Trimmed down the truss, Installed new lower shock mounts and control arm brackets.

Swapped sides with the rear calipers to keep them out of the rocks, they run on the front of the rear disk now.

Next up a 6 speed manual swap from a 06 Rubicon.
Luk clutch disk,pressure plate and pressure plate,Mopar slave cylinder, and shifter with Evo 9 shift knob.

Building the CPS conversion harness, 97-99 pigtail to 05-06 CPS sensor.

The goods

The meat and potatoes, going flat aint easy.

More to come........
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #13
WillMcD
2004 WJ 

How do you compare the Krawlers to the MTR/k's performance wise? Is there as much difference in performance as there is price?
04 WJ Limited Black, 5.5" LA hybrid (IRO Trackbar, Teraflex Springs, Bilstein 5100/5125 Shocks, IRO Critical Path High Clearance LA's + KOR 3/4" spacers, JKS Disconnects) 32" Firestone Destination M/T's, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Black Moabs, Muffler Delete, Hella 700ff's, Yakima Load Warrior

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Phil:4:13: I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=billzcat;10933305]a lot of people waste their life playing FB games all day like Farmville, Cityville, Gangsterville, Hookersnblowville, Idonteffingcareville[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Green"]August 2011 GCOTM Winner[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[SIZE="3"][CENTER]Build Thread:[/CENTER]
[CENTER][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/04-wj-college-build-willmcd-1050247/#post9619953"]04 WJ College Build-WillMcD[/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER][/SIZE]
WillMcD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 01:20 AM   #14
Sgt.Fuzz
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Digging the "Cliff Notes" edition. Might be cool if you could somehow put together a "table of contents" in this thread of each major mod and accompanying page number in the full build thread. Just a thought.
Unread 10-03-2011, 02:45 AM   #15
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome dude. Bennet, Imped and Flatlander all need one of these

Tags
lcg , lcog , mid arm , music city flop project , rokmen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.