flatlander757's 03 TJ build/update thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > flatlander757's 03 TJ build/update thread

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-01-2007, 08:07 AM   #1
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

flatlander757's 03 TJ build/update thread(now D60/D70 swap/stretch on 40s)

My build thread has gotten out of hand and being as ridiculous as it is, it's very hard to sort through it, or sit down and read it all at once. This table of contents is going to be a work in progress and I hope to get it up to date within a month or two. Thanks for checking it out

Page 1 - Table of Contents that you're reading now... then the build starts! Scroll down you big dummy!

Page 2 - 3" Full Traction lift fully installed, 33x10.50 TSL Radials, spaced out tire carrier for bigger spare

Page 3 - More pics of tire carrier bracket, MV1050 compressor installed, rock lights, Uwharrie wheeling trip

Page 4 - SYE, CV shaft, JKS rear UCAs, cut front bumper, RE rear trackbar and angled bracket

Page 5 - Redid rock lights, Pioneer DEHP4000UB radio, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Cobra 75WX-ST CB, Nth Degree engine skid, RE steering stabilizer, Poison Spyder steering box skid

Page 6 - Uwharrie wheeling trip, pics from the Outter Banks, Raptor liner install

Page 7 - More Raptor liner pics, AtoZ rocker guards installed, pics of carnage from Starr Motors Offroad Day 2008

Page 8 - BESRK tire carrier install, bought a welder, custom 3rd brake light, rock lights redone AGAIN

Page 9 - Pics of girlfriend(now wife) posing with Jeep, lots of chatting

Page 10 - Uwharrie wheeling trip, Christmas Jeep pics, picked up a HP30, started spacing the EVAP canister and installing CJ style tail lights

Page 11 - Finished CJ tail lights, license plate light, THE WORST IMPULSE BUY EVER: I bring home a D60 and D70HD :evilgrin:

Page 12 - Cut EVERYTHING out from under the Jeep... there is no turning back now! Started cleaning the old brackets off the axles and frame, etc.

Page 13 - Still cutting brackets off the axles, comp cut on the tub, cut the front fenders up, some parts starting to arrive

Page 14 - Tires arrive, fuel tank mounted in the tub, start fabbing rear bumper, mounted the first of my tires

Page 15 - Rear bumper fab continues, rear leaf spring mockup, mounted another tire("how to" mount on a beadlock wheel)

Page 16 - Final-welding in the rear suspension, bunch of chatting and answering questions about the build

Page 17 - Start checking clearances at the front axle for driveshaft and steering, cut the front crossmember out of the frame

Page 18 - Steering box relocated for more clearance, start playing with the 3-link calculator, built new front crossmember

Page 19 - Finalized crossmember, D30 vs D60 axle shafts, D300 installed and clocked to check DS clearances, front axle brackets starting to get mocked into place

Page 20 - Rear axle brake calipers replaced, brake lines run, fabbed frame-end brackets for front suspension

Page 21 1.25 BL, front suspension tacked into place and mocked up with dummy control arms

Page 22 Welded in some of the control arm brackets on the axle, and mocked up with real suspension links

Page 23 Cycled front suspension, Branik high steer D60 arm installed, coil mounts tacked in place, drag link mocked in place, trackbar mounts tacked in place, welded a BUNCH of stuff in for good

Page 24 Pics of all the stuff welded up, final teardown, started painting EVERYTHING

Page 25 Painted suspension components, mounted the last 2 tires, final touches on rear bumper, Spyder giving me crap(lol)

Page 26 Reassembled, IT SEES DAYLIGHT for the first time in 9 months!

Page 27 Problems with not turning tight enough

Page 28 Tie rod built, replaced a wheel bearing, had some problems with siezing a heim in my new tie rod

Page 29 Built front shock mounts, pics of front end and steering

Page 30 Pic of my Jeep next to a stock Jeep(Zach's), JK turn signal install, side clearance lights, started building rear axle shock mounts

As I said, this is a work in progress... you'll get the rest of the 140+ page build up sorted when I have time to kill.

------------------

The Build starts HERE!!!

So I figured I oughta start one of these threads before I get too far into building up my Jeep. The short-term goal(less than 5 months) is to have it sitting on 33in tires. Then the long-term goal(by this time next year) is to get it regeared for 35s, put some armor on it, flat-fender, and 35in tires of course. I probably won't be updating this every single day but whatever I do I'll take pictures

So anyways, here is my 03 Sport(4.0, dana 44, and NV3500) the day I got it a couple months ago:

And then 2 days later:

I made my own mirror for when the doors are off, seen here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.

Last edited by flatlander757; 03-02-2009 at 05:48 PM..
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2007, 08:14 AM   #2
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Then within the first week or so it was sans-front-milkjugs:

Then just a couple days ago I got around to painting the fender-flares and headlight bezels w/ satin black krylon fusion... it looks great IMO!

And then not directly Jeep-related, I got out of the dealership I worked at and went to a very large used car dealer. They provide tools there, so I got to take home the ton of stuff I'd bought while at Hall Dodge

It's also a nice $$ increase so more goodies for the Jeep!

Quote:
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.

Last edited by flatlander757; 02-05-2010 at 05:30 PM..
Unread 09-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
ronprice

Now black out those wheels and lift it !!!
Unread 09-02-2007, 12:55 AM   #4
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

yeah, time to black everything out, some day you can be as cool as me

haha, just kidding, good job with the paint son.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #5
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Haha, it's funny you responded, I've read through your entire build-up... it pretty much gave me the inspiration to get off my *** and do something haha

Quote:
Currently Jeepless.
Unread 09-03-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

I've got tool box envy.
Unread 10-03-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No pictures, but soon to come is a FT 3" lift w/ 33x10.50 Swamper TSL radials

And so you know the flares and headlight bezels have held up great

Quote:
Currently Jeepless.
Unread 10-03-2007, 06:53 PM   #8
.Jch.
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You didn't do any prep to the bezels? Just spray painted them? I might do that rather than pay 30 dollars for the black set from quadratec.
[U]OllllllllO[/U][/B]
[SIZE="1"]2006 Unlimited[/SIZE][/CENTER][/SIZE]
[center][B]Black Jeep Club V2.0 Member #2006
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/LJ_Owners"]LJ Owners, join the group and click here.[/URL][/B][/center]
.Jch. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2007, 07:01 PM   #9
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just roughed them up with some 320 or something grit sandpaper, wiped them down with parts cleaner and a rag. Then sprayed them.

Quote:
Currently Jeepless.
Unread 10-11-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My 3" FT lift is in the garage awaiting install. Hopefully this weekend

Quote:
Currently Jeepless.
Unread 10-13-2007, 09:39 PM   #11
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So I have everything up front installed save for the sway bar stuff...

The only problem I ran into was the driver side front shock was being stubborn on the top mount. I couldn't get a good hold on the top of the shaft and it kept getting mangled so I cut up the cover and used vise grips and a 1/2in impact

Also there is no need for a tie-rod end puller for the track bar or the swaybar endlinks... here were my solutions:

Quote:
Currently Jeepless.
Unread 10-13-2007, 09:44 PM   #12
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

...and for the track bar tie-rod end, I did the same thing that I do for tie-rod ends in the dealership, loosen the nut enough to get loose but still hold when the tie-rod end is free, and hit whatever it mounts into with a hammer. It will take a few good blows but it works well. It may help to be wiggling/forcing the track bar w/ one hand back and forth or have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while hammering.

And the pics in the last post aren't up to date, I've got the track bar and shocks all installed too and wheels back on. I've got one spring on in the rear, I'll have to finish tomorrow.

Quote:
Currently Jeepless.
Unread 10-13-2007, 10:18 PM   #13
AlTheKillerr

looks good so far! cant wait to see it with the lift completed
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2007, 02:06 PM   #14
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So I've got all the physical parts installed, it looks freaking great I'm about to set the toe and straighten the steering wheel then test drive it. I'll take pics before it gets dark and probably post them between 10:00 and 11:00

Quote:
Currently Jeepless.
Unread 10-14-2007, 08:12 PM   #15
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well here it is... I have it aligned and all seems well, I'm not sure if I've got vibes or not, if there are any they're real subtle, but since I'm so paranoid about having them it's hard to tell if I'm imagining them or not.

Quote:
Currently Jeepless.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.