first timer yj build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > first timer yj build

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 08-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #61
Mishimoto

How is the temp now? Any better?

Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #62
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yepp i think the first time it was just low on coolant, and the second time we were just being overly cautious and impatient for the thermostat to open. we took the thermostat out and put it in some water on the stove with an electric meat thermometer (i hope my mom doesn't read this) the NEW thermostat didn't open until right at 210 in the water even though is called a 195 oh well it runs steady at just a hair over 210 which is where it always ran at

other then that so far so good! I've put about 100 miles on it so far
Unread 08-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #63
Mishimoto

How did you make it into the kitchen and use the stove without getting noticed? I always would get caught when I tried to do things like that.
Unread 08-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #64
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

hahah we had to wait until she went out to the store. the best time was when we replaced the ring gear on a 351 clevland in a ski nautique boat with the oven. she was not happy!
Unread 08-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #65
YjStrangler92

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxi4evr
she's alive!!! had to extend the cherry picker a bit to get it in haha

after getting a couple mixed up wires sorted out she fired right up

took it around the block and the coolant temp was rising close to the red...shut it off and checked it, out visually everything was fine. got down the street and it was getting hot again so i shut it back off. slowly took off the radiator cap and it was pretty dry so we walked back and filled it up with coolant. it took maybe about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart? (my dad poured it while i was holding the hood so not totally sure...) got down the street and it was getting hot again but then suddenly dropped showing the thermostat opened... after that we just let it run for about 20 minutes and it held a steady temp just above 210. we'll look into it more tomorrow i'm too tired to think straight now lol

also got my lube for the good ole ax5!!!
You had to burp it.lol
YjStrangler92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #66
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YjStrangler92 View Post
You had to burp it.lol
lol I know!

anyways, jeep has been running awesome! It was running just above 210* so i went and bought a 185* to replace the 195* thermostat so now a tick mark below 210 is as hot as it gets however crawling through tight trails it will still gets pretty hot sso an electric fan is definitely in the future.

I finally took it to some trails by the house today (first time since rebuild) and had some good fun. My have a short video but the camer messed up so i just took a screen shot...

on another note the 408W is finally built, mated with a tremec t5z and in the car!

excuse me while i pic whore out!
42.jpg   43.jpg   47.jpg   48.jpg   46.jpg  

45.jpg   44.jpg  
Unread 08-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #67
DeejayZeejay
1994 ZJ 

Nice build! Well done sir. Don't mind me asking... How much did the engine rebuild run you? Thinking about doing my first ever on a 4.0 and wanted to get a ball park figure. Keep up the good work and keep jeepin.
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #68
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thanks! all together around 780-$800

$230 at the machine shop for cleaning the block and head, boring, cam bearings and installation, new pistons being pressed in
$550 in parts including pistons, rings, all bearings, gaskets/seals, oil pump, water pump, timing set, cam, lifters, rocker arms, rocker arm stabilizer bridges and pivots, valve keepers, valve seals, and clutch kit

I did a TON of shopping around to get all of my parts at the cheapest prices. The engine internals came from northernautoparts.com and are all mahle, victor reinz, perfect circle, and silvo-lite parts. The timing set was only $60 at auto zone. The cam and lifters i got off ebay. I got the Luk clutch kit from clutch city online, and other odds and ends such as freeze plugs and valvetrain components from morris 4x4.

I would definitely doing it if you have the time and space.
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #69
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

To do list(not necessarily in order of priority):
SYE - advanced adapters with tom woods shaft
8.8 and 4.88 gears maybe 5.13
DIY tube fenders
smittybuilt rear fenders unless I find TJ fenders first
PAINT
L.E.D. flush brake lights
rig up a license plate light
hard top for the winter months
winch
high lift jack
come up with a locking ammo can to hold straps, gloves, jumper cables, tools, etc...
replace my front seat sliders
replace bent front passenger leaf spring
boomerang shackles
electric fan

...and hopefully along the way find a name for it!

what do you guys think?
Unread 08-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #70
Mishimoto

Are you going to be able to stop driving it long enough to do all those other mods? Do you have any ideas for the electric fan yet? Thanks for keeping us updated on the Jeep and car, the 408 looks at home in there.
Unread 08-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #71
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Are you going to be able to stop driving it long enough to do all those other mods? Do you have any ideas for the electric fan yet? Thanks for keeping us updated on the Jeep and car, the 408 looks at home in there.
Thanks and you're welcome! I think it's awesome to keep a thread like this. seeing where it came from (although at this stage not much visually) is a huge motivation to keep working on it

and no way! lol the engine rebuild was enough torture! I plan on making each step no more then a weekend project except maybe the paint.

I need some clarification: in the first picture above, the front driver's wheel is in full droop and the shackle is starting to go backwards, i know i got lucky the shackle didn't pop all the way back and bend the leaf to crap. so boomerang shackles will prevent that from happening right?
Unread 08-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #72
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't resurface my flywheel either, and that was close to 70,000 miles ago. I have the new clutch sitting on the floor behind me, but I haven't had time to put it in yet. I even towed 1500lbs or so the other day on my worn clutch.

Of course, that's not nearly as bad as the rear axle seals that I've had for almost 3 years and haven't installed yet.

Also, I made my own locking ammo cans and I can take pics for you if you'd like. My dad came up with a system as well, but I think mine was easier. I only had to drill one hole in the can.
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #73
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
I didn't resurface my flywheel either, and that was close to 70,000 miles ago. I have the new clutch sitting on the floor behind me, but I haven't had time to put it in yet. I even towed 1500lbs or so the other day on my worn clutch.

Of course, that's not nearly as bad as the rear axle seals that I've had for almost 3 years and haven't installed yet.

Also, I made my own locking ammo cans and I can take pics for you if you'd like. My dad came up with a system as well, but I think mine was easier. I only had to drill one hole in the can.
yes please share! and yeah, i know its 110% directionally correct but i and two others didn't feel i needed to
Unread 08-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #74
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The whole thing cost me about $15 with the Masterlocks at Home Depot. I already had the RTV Blue sealant. I just used the standard Stainless Steel eyebolts and cut them shorter. They are difficult to saw through.

The reason the hole in the flap looks funny is because I cut it out with a scrollsaw. Yes, I have a serious lack of any metalworking tools (which is also why my Jeep isn't more modded).
I also was cutting out the hole with the scrollsaw while holding the entire box and trying to maneuver it around to get it cut nicely. It wasn't until I was nearly done with the second (last) box that I found out the lid comes off... the can fell on the shed floor.
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #75
LJman06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

nice lookin jeep! hows the 4 banger??

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.