first timer yj build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > first timer yj build

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 07-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #31
huffdesign
1971 CJ5 

Awesome Job

Man good job!!!!!

huffdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #32
Mishimoto

What did you use to clean the ports and deck? Are you planning on repainting the Jeep at sometime?
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #33
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thanks! for the deck i used a round scotch bright style pad on a 90* die grinder, for the domes i very very VERY carefully used a small wire wheel type thing on a drill (its old and took on a different shape that its supposed to so it fit in the domes perfect) and in the actual ports i scraped out the carbon with a scraper. after i wiped it down with brakleen and blew it all off with air.

and yessss i have no idea what color though. originally i was thinking the 2012 gecko green but now idk haha it will be a single stage acrylic enamel though
Unread 07-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #34
Mishimoto

I'd be tempted to send the head out to have a 3 angle valve job, and milled to clean it up. I'm not sure what the specs are on that engine on how much you can mill and get away with, but if you can afford it now when everything is already apart, I'd do it.

I'd probably paint the block black. Why'd you change your mind from Gecko Green?
Unread 07-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #35
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

well for this being mostly a maintenance/preventative build i think the head should be fine. and I haven't necessarily changed my mind, but when with all the options it's really hard for me to decide haha http://www.tcpglobal.com/restorationshop/rspcolors.aspx i guess a black engine would look best with any bright colored jeep

P.S. i'm open for color suggestions!!!!!
Unread 07-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #36
Mishimoto

I'd do that work to the head for preventative reasons, not trying to go for performance.
Unread 07-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #37
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

preventative of what exactly?
Unread 07-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #38
Mishimoto

Well you've got the bottom end out to get some new bearings, an overbore, honed, etc. because of wear, why not treat the head? It's got 180,000 on it, and yes it has hardened valve seats, but personally I'd have them cleaned up. The valves you could clean the carbon off at home, then the shop would just have to grind the ends of the stems and the faces. Have it milled for the sake of the new headgasket.

I like to go through all that so that way I have the job done once, and it lasts. Sometimes the efficiency of the new parts/machining make the original parts show their flaws.
Unread 07-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #39
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

update for the day: started cleaning external engine parts and picked up valve seals from autozone ($11.99 for 8 felpro) I also talked to the machine shop today. the block was in the hot tank so tomorrow they'll let me know what size pistons i should order
Unread 07-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #40
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

well since the machine shop is taking foorreevvveeeerrrrrr i'm starting body work haha the color i'm thinking 2012 jeep cosmos blue/ford grabber blue also, i think i'm going to trim my rear flares instead of hacking the tub for tj flares. if it doesn't turn out good then i'll just go the tj route but its worth a try.
trim.jpg  
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #41
Mishimoto

What about mopar's old B5 Blue?
Unread 07-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #42
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

sxi4ever,

Two questions:

(1) What size tires and rims are you running and what lift do you have?
(2) Glad to see another jeeper out there knows what a 427 Cobra is. Where is the chassis?

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #43
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

that color looks awesome!!!! but correct me if i'm wrong because I'm a complete paint noob (I've only done one other none rattle can job which was on a jet ski)...but a metallic is probably harder to spray then a solid color right? that's why the solid grabber/cosmos blue is so appealing to me (besides the fact that i really do think it's awesome) i attached a pic of the ski i painted... just primer and acrylic enamel. had pretty good gloss and held up GREAT for about 4 summers

its a 4" rough country lift with 33" tires and 15x8 soft 8's and its in the 3rd garage bay...all aluminum is in, lines routed, just wiring up the dash then she'll be ready for the engine and trans!
3.jpg   5.jpg   4.jpg   6.jpg  
Unread 07-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #44
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That chassis looks beautiful and so does your jet ski. Well, if that paint lasted four summers through the hot sun and all of the landings, I would say you have done well!!

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #45
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thanks 1sasjeepster!!!

got all of the pin striping off today and it looks way better already! and i started sanding, i really don't think there'll be too much body work which is always a plus.

and most exciting of all, got a call from the machine shop finally! i guess they've had a machine down and have also been super busy.. but they say .040 (which seems high for an engine that had no known problem, just high mileage i guess) will clean it up so now i have my pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets, oil pump, and water pump coming on its way!!! parts are federal mogul, melling, perfect circle, and cardone
7.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.