first timer yj build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > first timer yj build

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

first timer yj build

Well this is my first time taking on any sort of build on a vehicle. I've worked on my trucks plenty but I've never actually BUILT one to really be mine. so that's what my goal is here! also for it to be a trail ready DD

My jeep (as of about 4 days ago) is a 95 4 cyl 5 speed. it already has a 4 inch rough country lift from the PO which is brand new. so check that off the list! the jeep is SOLID as in no rust which is beyond nice. (im from Michigan originally) it has 180k miles but seems to be mechanically sound throughout the drivetrain.

My plans:
Disclaimer...This build definitely won't be as extreme as others I've seen here but i'll try to make it as exciting as possible haha

-get it in good running and driving shape how it sits now
-fix all of the PO's "fixes"
-drive it, wheel it, enjoy it!
-rebuild that tired 4 banger! and while I'm at it probably a new clutch
-clean up the inside by removing as much bedliner as possible and giving it a fresh coat
-fresh paint. (im going to try and match it to the 2012 "gecko green"
-drive it, wheel it, enjoy it!

for now that's about it! please give me your thoughts, opinions, suggestions, ideas, constructive criticism, everything!

here's a pic right when i got home with it next to my dodge

p5230052.jpg  
sxi4evr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So the first thing after getting home i had to take it off road! So much more fun then in the Dodge, it was awesome! the next day (yesterday) i worked on flushing the coolant, changing the engine oil, and taking the top and all of its brackets off (until i order a new one) We also spent a good amount of time looking it over high and low to get a feel for all of what i want to do to it.

I called discount tire and they had a one day rebate deal going on where you get $100 off any wheel purchase and $100 off any tire purchase. It just so happened that they had the tires and wheels i wanted in stock!! I decided these tires are a good choice for me because they should last a good long time and i don't plan on doing any deep mud bogging anyways.
p5250195.jpg   p5250198.jpg   p5250200.jpg   p5250204.jpg  
Unread 05-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice build so far. Those wheels look good on your jeep color.
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So today I fixed my broken glove box door and continued on the maintenance work by replacing the brake pads front and rear. I felt the u-joints, ball joints, wheel bearings, and tie rod ends...everything feels great! BTW drum breaks are really confusing incase any of you dont already know haha

So after messing with all of that I started to extend my exhaust. The PO had it end about 10" before the rear axle and with just a small muffler and no catalytic converter (another nice mod from the PO) its pretty loud. especially at that special rpm range... feels like your ears are about to bleed!

the pic makes shows my plan pretty well to get the exhaust out the rear. i'm hoping that will quiet it down some while driving it. or at least keep the smell from killing me? haha

Let me know what you guys think!!

I also added a pic of all the other things going on in the garage
p5260209.jpg   p5260214.jpg   p5260215.jpg   p5260212.jpg   p5260211.jpg  

p5260213.jpg   p5250199.jpg  
Unread 05-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by castorriver View Post
Nice build so far. Those wheels look good on your jeep color.
Thanks! I'm hoping they'll go good with the bright green i plan on painting the jeep too
Unread 05-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

finished the exhaust today. not to happy about all the clamps i had to use but it's solid and it helped with quieting it down (while in the driver seat anyways...) and getting the fumes away.

does anyone have suggestions on where i should go for a rebuild kit for the 2.5L??
p5270219.jpg   res1.jpg  
Unread 05-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ahh what?? haha
Unread 06-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

so I got lazy actually working on this... I've been wheeling it just having fun being a jeep owner!

then i finally decided to tackle redoing the bedliner or "tubliner" hah pics explain everything here...but i'll sum it up anyways. i tried just using a chisel and hammer to scrape this stuff up that sucked! so i did some research and found that aircraft stripper is the way to go. TRUE the bedliner just bubbles up after about 10 minutes and for the most part you can just scrape it off with a putty knife.

so now i'm ready for uwharrie sometime next week!!!!!!!!
550484_456903577654074_1496792283_n.jpg   p6110301.jpg   p6200174.jpg   p6240391.jpg  
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

and the rest of the pics...
p6220386.jpg   p6220388.jpg   p6240392.jpg   p6260393.jpg  
Unread 06-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #10
imcfarland93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

nice build so far. we have a similar set ups. check mine out. what more do you have planned for her?

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ians-1993-jeep-wrangler-yj-sarah-1225169/[/url]
imcfarland93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 04:09 AM   #11
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome work so far, did you just pick up the prebent exhaust pipe at an auto parts store? Mine turns down before the rear axle just like yours did, however I just picked up a cheap 90amp wire welder so its time to put it to work.
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #12
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcfarland93 View Post
nice build so far. we have a similar set ups. check mine out. what more do you have planned for her?
how are your rough country springs holding up? i realised my front passenger is bent, not much but you can tell in the first pics by different shackle angles. i've been debating on whether or not to just buy one new spring for $100 or buy a different brand..

I think my next step is to rebuild the I4 before anything bad happens. with that ill do a 4.0 throttle body, 19lbs injectors with a new fuel pressure regulator, and maybe an electric fan. after that some tube fenders and bumper trimming, then maybe paint (i hate doing body work )

And yep that's all autozone prebent. I'm jealous of the welder all i have is an arch welder and i HATE all those clamps haha
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
Mishimoto

Nice progress so far. Not trying to derail this at all, but I can't help but notice the fiberglass shell in the garage. Is that a factory five kit coming together?
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #14
imcfarland93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxi4evr

how are your rough country springs holding up? i realised my front passenger is bent, not much but you can tell in the first pics by different shackle angles. i've been debating on whether or not to just buy one new spring for $100 or buy a different brand..

I think my next step is to rebuild the I4 before anything bad happens. with that ill do a 4.0 throttle body, 19lbs injectors with a new fuel pressure regulator, and maybe an electric fan. after that some tube fenders and bumper trimming, then maybe paint (i hate doing body work )

And yep that's all autozone prebent. I'm jealous of the welder all i have is an arch welder and i HATE all those clamps haha
So far I am a fan of the RC springs. Deff not the smoothest ride. But being a broke Kid it's good enough for me. Keep it up and I'll keep watching.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ians-1993-jeep-wrangler-yj-sarah-1225169/[/url]
imcfarland93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

well i guess that settles it for me haha another rc spring here i come!

and mishimoto you guessed it! thats the reason for slow jeep progress haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.