Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

First time Jeep owner DailyDriver 01 TJ

16K views 120 replies 22 participants last post by  bhblaine 
#1 ·
Here is some background info:
Purchased this 2001 Wrangler TJ on March 4th 2011.
62k miles for $12,000
Unknown lift: approx. 4" Short Arm
35"BFG KM2 on 15" rims-unknown
Rest is all Stock

Buying this Jeep is my first inception on this aspect of OHV. Anything mechanical, automotive or technical is new to me. Doesn't mean I'm dumb or stupid just learning

all the modifications in THIS post were between march and april, Some pictures were taken right after and some were not taken till today due to me forgetting. lol

First thing I did was buy a HI-Lift and build a hood mount for it based on a thread here on JeepForum.com using two pieces of angle iron and a rattlecan
$20.00

Next thing was to re-paint the sun worn fender flares and chop the down pieces off. I used Hercu-Liner because I had some lying around the house that needed to be used.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Next were bumpers, Looked around on Craigslist and found one right away for 100.00 and picked it up right away.

Got home and mounted up only to realize the receiver hitch was in the way of my winch plate I do know there are receiver attachments however that would greatly decrease my approach angle so i am going to stay away from that. Although I found a front bumper I was not able to find a rear bumper and tire carrier for a price I could afford so I decided to wait

moving along

I came across a pretty good deal on a CB radio set up so I went ahead and bought it and installed it.... TWICE....

Install 1:

was very happy with the way it looked and assembled, however when I drove it the next day it was a different story. When I installed the CB box I checked for leg room and it seemed fine. Me being 6'4" every time I took my foot off the gas petal it wrecked my shin. (my friend told me to not take my foot off the pedal ) Also the cheap adhesive cord holders didn't even stay for one night and all came loose so those will have to be replaced.

Round two:
After doing some research on mounting points and wishing I had 300.00 to buy the roof console I decided I could make my own mount. Back to the angle iron :D
One piece of angle iron, two U-bolts, the left over rattlecan from the hi-lift mount and some grinder work came out to this

I ran the wiring behind the iron, down the weather stripping and behind the dash to the fuse box.

During all this I found a friend that just got into welding and offered to make me a bumper and tire swing. I gave him a shot and this is what he has so far based on a very rough sketch I drew. he only needs to add a receiver hitch and paint.

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice jeep. I would spend some time in the fabrication section here and have your friend take a look at some of the other ways to do D-rings. Those on there would be great for a light to medium static load on a trailer deck or similar. But for recovery you really want to avoid surface welded things. they tend to tear off and become missile hazards. as far as what you got going of for a lift and who this Rubicon john guy is not sure, some pictures of the control arms and springs would help out a lot.

#11 ·
I think the problem is how thin the metal is that goes over the d-ring. It will bend and then break easily, Also most of those style of D-rings I have seen are only butt welded together on the flat side also a significant weak point.

I like the roof rack man it looks good.

#5 ·
Sorry for the fish eye effect on these next few photos. i couldn't find my digital camera so i had to use my GoPro HD Helmet Hero

new Rage roof rack and spare tire thrown up there while i wait for my swing away tire carrier

Angry Eyes and blacked out turning signals

First few coats on my new bumper but ran out and need some more

Ripped my Smittybilt G.E.A.R seat cover and had to return it. i received another promptly

Removed my:
-Rear seat
-Rear carpet
-All mounting hardware
-Rear Seatbelts and hardware
-Factory spare tire holder
-3rd brake light
(Everything i just listed is for sale, send a PM if your interested. Back seat is Black Leather perfect condition)

This is to prepare for a low pressure lining. I wont be replacing the seat as i will be installing my full size Toolbox, air compressor and a 2gal tank.

#6 ·
Not wanting to bash the seat cover for anyone wondering. I love it and it was an installation error on my part (I had it too tight and my fatass ripped it) I have it completely full of just random essential items.
-SWR METER
-20ft Tow Strap
-Leatherman
-Sunblock
-Rainjacket
-etc

#8 ·

Looks like my next purchase is going to be some Metalcloak arched tube fenders for that added clearance and rubbing reduction.... might be awhile due to cost

#13 ·
no problem, not hating, I like the look, just wanted you to be safety conscious. when a snatch strap or chain or winch cable lets free it is spectacular and whatever can fly, does. Just don't want to see a post about your new d-ring being the weak link and a recovery setup flying through a window or worse yet a body part. Like I said the fabrication section here has great ideas and super helpful people to get you as safe as recovery points come.

#14 ·
nice looking jeep man, as far as the d-rings try putting a carriage bolt through it and bolting it to a thick piece of steel on the backside of the bumper that runs the length of the bumper, if you do rip anything off at that point it will most likely be the whole bumper...

#15 ·
i like that seat cover, seems quite useful.. i may have to steal your idea on that one, lol
have you considered removing the hitch reciever up front so you can mount your winch? looks in the pictures that it would be pretty easy to cut off with a grinder... unless there is something i'm not seeing.

#16 ·
have you considered removing the hitch reciever up front so you can mount your winch?
Definite yes. I am waiting to save up enough to purchase a winch and plate and don't want to cut into my bumper until i know it's certain. as for the Winch goes i am looking at the XRC8 due to price and the amount of times i will actually be using my winch. It will be for more of an "Oh **** i'm stuck and i need to get out" rather than a "**** it i have a winch i will be fine" :laugh:
I'm not a serious Crawler/Wheeler (Yet) mainly due to money and its my daily driver so everything that i put into this jeep has that in mind.

i like that seat cover, seems quite useful.. i may have to steal your idea on that one, lol
Do it! they are quite pricey though :crying: i wanted another to match but not for that price... maybe eventually. Best thing about the seat cover is that there are a ton of extras you can buy and add to it from companies such as Condore.

#23 ·
indeed I did she has her own Suzuki Samurai build going. haha she knows more about cars than I do.

4"BDS lift
1 1/2" shackles
31" BFG A/Ts
1.6 v4 Conversion. haha its a 1988.5 samurai

#24 ·
WOW, THAT IS A NIIIICCCEE SAMMY i was actually considering one near me when i had my libby and i was going to tow it with my libby, but the PO had jerry rigged too much stuff and had 37's on it on stock axles, i dont know how strong the axles on it were, but the front and rear were also lincoln locked, so i was not going to mess with it. but that one is prolly one of the nicest i've cn...

#27 ·
i was not going to mess with it.
yeah seems like that would be a lot of hassle. she got hers stock as her first car for like $4,000 and built it from there. she has completely redone the interior reupholstered the seats, it looks brand new

#28 ·
Who makes the front bumper? where did you get that for $100.

Nice Jeep!
Locally, he is on JF.com too but i believe it's all custom. The recovery points, the tow points, the stinger, and the receiver. I couldn't have asked for a better front bumper! heck of a deal and helped him out as well

#29 ·
Took the Jeep up to Navajo Lake in northern New Mexico this Last weekend and had a blast. The road down to the lake wasn't nearly as hard as everyone had been telling me it was going to be but oh well found and amazing location to camp! here are some photos, enjoy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.